Anybody tried Halcion?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Jayna, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Jayna

Jayna New Member

My dentist wants me to take .25 mg of Halcion before my next appointment to ease my anxiety and hopefully my post-dental pain and days/weeks of jaw-joint swelling.

I've heard bad things about taking benzos with CFS, so wonder if anybody has experience with this drug.

2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

Personally, I had major problems with klonipin, but had less issues with valium (but I used it before getting CFS/ME and just very short term as a muscle relaxant)....obviously, this would also be short term, and we all react differently to meds, so you might be fine......but I find it odd that the doc would choose that particular benzo before any of the others....for one, though it can be used for other purposes, it is usually only prescribed for sleep and usually it is one of the last ones to be tried.....people tend to react to it more strongly than to the are a couple of important things I found online about it:

Dosages for triazolam are significantly lower than other benzodiazepines, and should be individualized depending on the needs of the patient. For insomnia, 0.125 mg to 0.25 mg are given at bedtime. Up to 0.5 mg may be needed for resistant individuals. Dosages exceeding 0.5 mg are generally considered to be unsafe.

Severe side-effects both while using triazolam and after its discontinuation are more common with triazolam than with other hypnotic drugs.[10] Triazolam causes a rapid development of tolerance and withdrawal symptoms including rebound insomnia and rebound anxiety. Other adverse effects include amnesia, confusion, and disinhibition, and occur much more commonly with triazolam than with other benzodiazepines such as quazepam.[11] Triazolam, although a short-acting benzodiazepine, may still cause residual impairment into the next day, especially the next morning. A meta-analysis demonstrated that residual 'hangover' effects after nighttime administration of triazolam such as sleepiness, impaired psychomotor, and cognitive functions may persist into the next day, which may impair the ability of users to drive safely and increase risks of falls and hip fractures.[12] Confusion and amnesia has been reported.[13]

Why should Halcion not be prescribed?

You should not take this drug if you are pregnant or if you have had an allergic reaction to it or to other benzodiazepine drugs such as Valium.

Also avoid Halcion if you are taking the antifungal medications itraconazole, or ketoconazole, or the antidepressant nefazodone.
  3. I do not know the dosage, but, it was just after a horrifically botched surgery for my trigeminal neuralgia, and we HAD to get my root canals permanent (dam?) in, he said the max window was 45 days, and we were approaching that.

I was on 2mg clonazepam- had been for 2-3 yrs back then, as well as many many other drugs, (steroids, antibiotic, pain medication, anticonvulsant, etc)...

I was to take one pill the night before the appt, and one pill like an hr, before the appt, or something. It did NOTHING to me, or for me, but, a lot of things usually don't. I have a high tolerance for meds, and have since having my gallbladder removed (don't ask me WHY!??)

We then also used the usual numbing medications, and then a LOT of nitrous... again- this was all due to a botched surgery on my facial nerves.. so, yea, it took A LOT for me to be able to just open my mouth.

Anyways, if it's something for anxiety, etc before a dental appt, it should be fine, IMO, but, everybody does differ.
  4. Jayna

Jayna New Member

This is to help my trigeminal nerve pain too. I'm still swollen and on soft foods 3 days after the preliminary poking around, so I know it's going to be painful and lasting regardless.

Anything I can do to ease the intensity or duration of my post-dental discomfort would be really welcome; I'm just not sure this is the right drug to try. I usually over-react to almost any medication, but he says this is half the dose he usually prescribes for adults. I'm nervous enough that I think I'll try only a quarter-dose at home a couple of days before. If it calms me without putting me right out or causing any horrendous side effects, then maybe I'll move it up to a half-dose the day of the appointment. Or not.

Any other experiences to share?
  5. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

Most would take Valium - it is effective and lasts longer in the body.

I have no experience of Halcion but I believe the effects are short-lived.

Love Bunchy x

CATHYRG New Member

I need some information from persons who have this and have had surgery or decided not to have surgery and how do you deal with the pain. My dear friend has ms and now this (trigeminal neuralgia)please,please I can't support her without you guys telling me about your experiences. thank you kindly and God bless. momacats
  7. I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. Trigeminal Neuralgia is one of the worst, most painful diseases there is.

I will try to find you some websites to go to, I know, in terms of TN there aren't many support/message boards... The ones that do exist, are not very up-to-date.

Surgery: that's not something that can be just talked about- really...

It's not really encouraged, unless, and until a person has been deemed time and time again, basically treatment resistant, or has tried every known treatment (anti-convulsants, and some neuros will also rx Pain medications), and the person with TN has either maxed out on dosages, or has had to stop each 'known' (in my case, also several 'unknown' or better worded, *unproven*) treatments, due to side effects.

Then a neurologist, would send you (her) to a neurosurgeon (or two) for consultation, scans are done of the brain, etc to image certain areas, depending on which surgery is considered, different types of scans are required before hand.

I've had one very, severely *screwed up* Balloon Compression Rhizotomy .... which then left me NO CHOICE but to have Gamma Knife Surgery(high dose radiation focused at the the T. Nerve, about right above the ear, maybe slightly back a ways), *twice*, in the 7 months following that botched surgery. The first surgery's damage has stuck around, making my trigeminal neuralgia even harder to treat.

I wish I had NEVER had that balloon compression rhizotomy. My neurologist only meant well, and I'd maxed out several meds, and the trileptal which I'd done well on for probably 2 yrs, was starting to affect my liver enzymes, etc.. but, we had no idea that neurosurgeon was NOT the expert, or at least the professional she portrayed herself to be. Anyways, that was a whole ugly nightmare, that left me scarred, in more ways than one...

Gamma Knife Surgery may sound 'scary', but, it's actually what they recommend moreso, especially in younger patients, (I was 26) -- NOT ALWAYS-- of course.. but, once it's decided that surgery is *necessary*,

I was told, GKS is more conservative (non-invasive, no cutting into the face/skull, etc)... Just four metal pins screwed into your skull, using local anesthesia, two in front, two in back (metal fixator on your head, so they can pinpoint an EXACT, tiny area, in which all 206 or 208 beams of radiation can be lined perfectly where they need to be- they burn the nerve. (you of course, do not feel a thing, regarding radiation burning the nerve.)

The neurosurgeons & radiation Oncologist at Methodist told me they *prefer* to keep the more invasive surgeries 'saved' (so to speak) for later, trying gamma knife first. The more surgeries a person has, the harder the TN becomes to even treat surgically..

What medications has your friend tried, and has she been *told* she should have surgery?

Also, people here will also recommend she try Capzacin Cream, and, that's fine- personally, I WOULD NOT recommend it, I tried it once before I had my surgeries, and tried Capzacin HP last winter.... first of all, if your friend has it in 2, or like me all 3 branches of the nerve, this is not a wise thing to do, it did NOTHING FOR MY TN pain- others say it does, and stops theirs completely... I however only ended up in all different kinds of pain, the TN itself, the Capzacin, and then (tears) added additional burning- as well... the first time I tried it, my poor dog suffered too, walking up & licking my cheek- she of course got a tongue full of Capzacin cream. (We gave her milk of course, to neutralize the burning).

My neurologist looked at me like I was nuts for even trying that cream, and agreed, not smart. It only aggravates it that much further, by rubbing the cream into your face, if wind, air, humidity, etc has triggered a flare, (mine is atypical, meaning hurts all the time now, it has many different types of pain, but, really needs no 'trigger', though certain types of the pain flare worse- like the damage done by the 1st neurosurgeon, still during certain times of the year, & weather).. you just don't want to be rubbing your face, and you do not want a cream that is nearly like pepper spray, near your eye(s).

Anyways, I know this is long, my history of TN is long (and MS btw) and I hope I've helped, also, it's said statistically in studies of most surgeries for TN, that people who have TN with MS, are the hardest to treat, and effects of surgical treatments tend to last the shortest, in people with MS, Gamma Knife Surgery is not a walk in the park, the day of it, is hell, but, you live, and after the 2nd one, I was able to take far lower dosages of anti-convulsant medication, and totally stop high dose steroid tapers, & Lortab 10's.