Anybody try Cymbalta "UPDATED"

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rickj44, Nov 2, 2008.

1. rickj44

rickj44 Member

I am thinking about trying this medication,. Sleeping is getting much worse.. my upper body is so senstive.. If i increase my medication, i will itch all night.. I hope this new medication will work better.
    anybody have good results?

[This Message was Edited on 06/19/2010]
    [This Message was Edited on 06/19/2010]

INITAHUG New Member

I was on it for about 3mths and was doing okay, I took alot of the pain away for me, but that was because it put me in a better mindframe, and I really didn't dwell on the pain like I use to. which was good because at the time I need that. The only problem I had with it was that it made me very confussed, and slow. LOL like I need that. But pain and mood wise it worked really good. I've only had FM for 8mths so I still in the "try it and well see what happens" stage.

Im on Evail now and its not doing much for me pain, or mood, and thats sad to me because I would much rather be back on cmybalta I felt like I was slowly getting my life back.( but I was to confussed to realize it )

You said that you dont sleep much, for me the cymbalta made me wired, and I would take it in the morning, but I also don't sleep well, and my upperbody is very senstive, my problem is that I twitch all the time,

well I hope that it works for you in the good way, like everybody tells me GIVE IT A WHIRL, but they just don't realise what goes along with that for us !
    Goodluck ! :)
  3. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I was in a trial group for Cymbalta when it first came out about 4 yrs ago. I was in a major depressive episode and had just gotten out of the hospital for it. The Cymbalta didn't do anything for me, I think I took it for 3 months.

Of course, as we all know, everyone reacts differently to meds. I usually get all the side effects really badly, but this one didn't cause any. At the time my FM wasn't too terribly bad, but I didn't feel any pain relief from the Cymbalta. Also, my depression is pretty much med resistant, so I wasn't surprised that it didn't work.

Give it a try, you may be one of the lucky ones! My one suggestion would be to start at a very low dose and slowly increase, this helps reduce system shock and side effects. I've learned this trick over the yrs from trying so many different meds, I sometimes have to just take a "baby" dose.

Effexor is one AD that is also recommended for FM, also some of the SSRIs like Prozac (that's the only one that's ever helped me w depression). I hope you find some relief, I know it's so difficult to change meds and then have to wait 4-6 wks before some of them start working. I've gone thru that so many times...I'm a "professional" med guinea pig:)

Good luck.....Hermit

4. droufs

droufs New Member

Cymbalta was the last thing on my list to try. It took 80% of the pain away. The first few nights I had trouble sleeping, but that went away and I actually am much more awake during the day. Nothing else helped me. I have only been on it two weeks, but I hope it continues to help me.
  5. rickj44

rickj44 Member

I am taking oxycontin and tramacet at the moment. I find i cant take oxycontin at night or after 6 pm.. i am awake all night. the tramacet is better but when the pain is elevated, like it seems to be now., and will take more tramacet and then i itch all night i cant win.

I got the most comfortable memory foam bed and it feels like i am sleeping on a bed of marbles.

It sounds like Cymbalta might keep me awake all night.. but maybe for me it will be different.I wish something would knock me out for 8 hrs.

This is one painfull illness thats way down the list, on the illness list.
    Most Doctors dont want to go there. Too complicated to even try.I get so tired of trying to prove myself.

6. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

It really did help my symptoms but ended up going off it because it increased my liver levels to where it was not right for me any more.

Going off this med was the worst thing I have ever had to do in my life...I was sooo sick for about 6 weeks. Google Cymbalta withdrawals or something of that sort. I have said I will never go back on it for that reason.

Good luck!
  7. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

Have you ever tried Trazodone for sleep? I take 50mg and it helps a lot. I tried several sleep meds, ambien, rozerem, lunesta...none of them helped. Rozerem is the "latest, greatest" one and it made me so restless that I woke up every 15 minutes!

Also, how about Melatonin? Lots of people swear by that. I've taken it some, not sure if it really did anything tho. I've seen folks here talk about the Fibro Sleep product that is sold here, I may have to try that someday. They say it works well.

Sweet dreams ;)

8. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

I completely agree with the Trazodone for sleep - it is the only thing I can not fight! When ever I have sleep issues this is what they give me & it is very inexpensive.
  9. rickj44

rickj44 Member

Thats what scares me is having to get off it, and having withdrawl. The drug that all most did me in was Effexor.. man its was terrible/

As far as Trazodone goes , i really dont get it.You cant have much pain if Trazodone is helping you sleep.
    In order to sleep u need to lower the pain. I have not lower my pain enough.My wife said take a sleeping pill.. A sleeping pill will do nothing if you lay down>>>

And it feels like you or laying on a bed of marbles..My ribs feel like they are sticking through my skin. The nerves feel like they are on the outside.

Do this test for me.. before bed put a layer of small rocks or marbles under the bed sheet and then take a trazodone and see if you can sleep. leave them there all night.

Not trying to be smart but it would give you an idea what my memory foam bed feel like.. there are night i cant lay down at all. I get so tired.
    I just wish either my back or sleeping on my front would be easier but my whole upper body is very sensitive..

When my day comes, i wont beable to be buried as i will need to be turned every few mins,, haha
  10. BeansMom

BeansMom New Member

I have just started my 3rd week - 1st week I took 30 mg and now am up to 60 mg. I haven't noticed a difference yet with my pain levels or sleeping. The past 2 days I have felt more refreshed when I wake in the mornings, but I'm not sure if it's b/c of the daylight saving time change??

I have high hopes..I've tried everything and I just want to have less pain and more energy mostly.
  11. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I take Norco for pain and sometimes Flexeril at night with the Traz. I do still wake up a lot w pain and it takes me an hour or so to fall asleep. I haven't been sleeping well for about 3 mos now and need to figure out something to remedy that. I had shoulder surgery in August and it really caused my dds to worsen and I can't sleep on my left side anymore.

It sounds like you are in agony Rick, I feel for you. The rocks under the sheet analogy is a good one....I use the "stabbing knife pain" comparison myself sometimes! I spent $400 on a Cuddle Ewe mattress topper, but it's not so great. They advertise them as the best thing for fibro, but I wouldn't spend the money again.

One of the posters here named Doxy has been telling us about the great relief she's gotten recently from the Fentanyl Patch FYI. She's been thru he!! w pain and meds.

What about the new "wonder drug" Lyrica? Have you considered trying that one? Personally, I wouldn't take it cuz I'm sure I'd be a zombie and gain a lot of weight, but it's helping some people.

If I had a magic wand, I'd flick it in your direction....pain, pain, go AWAY!!!! You sound like you really need a break and some rest, I hope you find something soon that will help.

[This Message was Edited on 11/04/2008]
  12. BeansMom

BeansMom New Member

Hi Hermit - Tried Lyrica...some relief, but not a lot. Not worth the 20 lbs I gained!! It came on fast and I was starving the whole time! My clothes were literally tighter within 4 weeks. My insurance wouldn't cover it and I hated the weight gain so I quit taking it.
    Now on 3rd week of Cymbalta, so far so good - can't tell anything yet, but no bad side effects. Actually my appetite has been quite less.

I take a muscle relaxer before bed - it helps with morning stiffness and helps me sleep, but still not very effective for pain. I take Tramadol also - but been taking for so long, I think I'm too tolerant of it now - but m y doctor doesn't give pain meds. So, I'm out of Tramadol Rx in another month or two. Dont' know what I'll do then!
  13. catj

catj New Member

I am a woman in my last 60's who has been fighting Fibro for 15 yrs. Last summer, I was put on a combination of Perocette and cymbalta. I thought I had died and gone to Heaven. It was wonderful,until I woke up vomiting each morning and sometimes it would continue all day.
    after that I went complete bonkers. I have to reley on what my family tells me because I was completly out of it. So bad they tell me, I was going to walk to the hospital in panties and a tee shirt. I disowned one of my sons during an upset and the nurse at the hospital had to call my husband during one night to tell him they could not control me.
    I saw bugs and snakes and other things
    Thank goodness that was back in Oct. but I am still havING flash backs. And there are times when I am so scared, and have no idea why.
    I just want to tell everybody, if you are on cymbalta you may be fine now, but please get off that stuff. I had taken Perecette before but don't think I would again.
    Please don't start it. I did not know my family for 10 days, and I really regret scaring my family like I did. Now I have a fear of maybe people not wanting to be near me.
    It was not my fault , but I feel it was. (I WAS TAKING 30 MG.CYM. X2 D.)
  14. Bxteacher

Bxteacher Member

I have taken Cymbalta for about 2 years and it has helped. I take 60 mg every morning with breakfast. As for sleep....I have to take 10 mg Ambien and 1mg Klonopin in order to get "decent sleep". I do still wake up during the night, but I do fall back to sleep. I have had no adverse effects from the Cymbalta, but as others have said, everyone reacts differently to meds.
    My rheumy & my psychiatrist were the ones who suggested switching from Zoloft to Cymbalta, and in my case it was the right decision.

Good luck.
  15. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I know people who have had great results with Cymbalta. I did fine on it for about 4 weeks then got really depressed, but that has happened to me on another med as well.
    As far as the sleep/pain goes. Sometimes you have to get sleep in order to lessen the pain. It's like the chicken and the egg. I wasn't sleeping at all and my pain was terrible - all day, all night. Still when I wake up, my leg pain is right in my face the minute my eyes open.

I agree, you do need something for sleep. Your body has to have "down time". There are things that can relax you enough to help you. I know you're in terrible pain, but maybe they'll help relax you enough that you won't notice as much. Change your pain med if you can't take something at night and add a muscle relaxer, the trazadone or something. Has your doctor offered any other suggestions??

The NO sleep is killing you and is going to make your pain ten times worse. Believe me. Been there.
  16. 2sic2mooov

2sic2mooov New Member

is it possible that it was reaction from the combination of the 2 drugs. I know that the docs and pharmacists are supposed to KNOW when drugs are not supposed to be combined..but I think that everyone has unique chemistry and really how does anyone KNOW how we would react.
    I feel so bad for you, having to go through all that. It is not your fault. And just proves how sensitive we all can be with side effects.
  17. theycallmeLois

theycallmeLois New Member

I am restarting on cymbalata to see if it helps i am in a depressive funk. so here is to crossing fingers!
  18. goofgirl

goofgirl New Member

I tried it for about 3 months. It was slightly less effective with my depression compared to Zoloft. I did not notice any pain relief from it, myself. So I am in the process of switching back to Zoloft. I did have dizzyness, sweating, and headaches while I was on it, but that could have been caused by a lot of other things becides the Cymbalta, so I won't say for sure if those were side effects for me. I just felt my depression was better handled by Zoloft and didn't notice the added bonus of pain reduction I was hoping for in the switch, so I'm changing back.
  19. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

The second week of my college career, I was having no luck whatsoever. I felt like none of my meds were working. My doctor gave me a sample of cymbalta to try. I knew my "aunt" who has fibro takes cymbalta, so I decided to give it a shot because I was so miserable.

Oh goodness.

It was ridiculous.

I took a pill and went back to bed, thinking it was going to be another day of missed classes. 20 minutes later, I felt great! Not perfect, but a lot better than I had been. I was ecstatic. I got up, got dressed, and went to class.

Not 10 minutes into class, I had to leave. The room was spinning, I felt like I was going to throw up, and I'm pretty sure I blacked out for a few seconds. My pupils were extremely dilated and my heart was racing. I was afraid I wasn't going to make it back to my dorm room from class.

What's interesting is my "aunt" had the same reaction when she tried lyrica. Lyrica's what I take with no problems.

Go figure, but I'm never trying cymbalta again.
  20. SolSerenade

SolSerenade New Member

i've been taking cymbalta for several months - it seemed to relieve lower-leg pain, and (very quickly) give me a feeling of 'lightness' and increased circulation in my lower legs .......... as well as (i think) some "antidepressant effect"

however, it barely touches the "full body pain" i have (i take codeine and darvon),

but, my doc just last week gave me Gabapentin (300mg) to take along with the Cymbalta, saying that it was "a good one-two punch combo." i.e. the two together may work for nerve pain.

it's too early for me to give an accurate description of the results. I will say that i've had no "bad side-effects" (first 3 days feeling quite stoned - no problems there).

note that Cymbalta is an SNRI not an SSRI. and good luck.

I'm also fond of Melatonin for sleep - it ought to say on the bottle, "you will have beautiful sex-dreams" - just my experience. But, lay off it for a week here and there so as to not build up tolerance for it. Sweet dreams.