Anybody try only 5 mg. of Prozac?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lisjhn, Dec 11, 2002.

1. lisjhn

lisjhn New Member

The doctor I saw yesterday said maybe I'd do better on just 5 mg. of Prozac instead of the usual (20mg.?)that they start you with. (Either that or low low dose of Effexor.) I had tried it for 4 days a couple years ago and ran out of my workplace thinking I did a big line of coke and was having a heart attack, so that was the end of that. Couldn't tolerate any others either, so I took nothing.
    I told him I've been an emotional wreck coming off of Depo, having nicotine and caffeine withdrawals since I can't eat or smoke because my stomachs been hurting, and yes, after this appointment, I am a mess. I will be needing an anti-depressant. But I've tried most of them before and they either made me too racy, too sleepy or made my headaches worse.

So, I'm wondering, do I take the Sam-E in my house right now, which gave me energy and I did feel better on a couple years ago or wait for my appt. with my PCP and just try the other stuff. When they had tried me on a lot of them before, I was put on way too large of doses or something, so now I'm almost willing to try the 5 mg. of Prozac. Pros? Cons? Probably sounds like a con, huh.
    ~LISA
  2. lisjhn

lisjhn New Member

The doctor I saw yesterday said maybe I'd do better on just 5 mg. of Prozac instead of the usual (20mg.?)that they start you with. (Either that or low low dose of Effexor.) I had tried it for 4 days a couple years ago and ran out of my workplace thinking I did a big line of coke and was having a heart attack, so that was the end of that. Couldn't tolerate any others either, so I took nothing.
    I told him I've been an emotional wreck coming off of Depo, having nicotine and caffeine withdrawals since I can't eat or smoke because my stomachs been hurting, and yes, after this appointment, I am a mess. I will be needing an anti-depressant. But I've tried most of them before and they either made me too racy, too sleepy or made my headaches worse.

So, I'm wondering, do I take the Sam-E in my house right now, which gave me energy and I did feel better on a couple years ago or wait for my appt. with my PCP and just try the other stuff. When they had tried me on a lot of them before, I was put on way too large of doses or something, so now I'm almost willing to try the 5 mg. of Prozac. Pros? Cons? Probably sounds like a con, huh.
    ~LISA
  3. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

But my doc started me on 20mgs & worked me up to 80 mgs - he thought the more the better. If the Sam-e helped I would try it again. Stick with what works. Just my opinion. I was always interested in the Sam-e, never heard if it helped anyone or not. How much did you take? I would like to find something to help with my mood & energy. I have had horrible side effects to every anti-depressant I tried. I hope you are feeling better soon. Amy
  4. HOUSEOFBLUES

HOUSEOFBLUES New Member

I take 50 mgs. of Prozac a day and I've got to say it does help me cope with a lot of stuff.
    I think if it were me, I would try the 5 mg.of prozac first
    and see how you feel. If you don't feel like anything is happening, then you can request your doc to "up" you to a higher dosage little by little until you feel some relief.
    The relief it gives me is that I tend to stay calmer then I used to without it. Before, I would get very emotional and scream and yell and get irritated a lot.
    I used to be on Zoloft and that was pretty good too, but I was on it for 5yrs. and then it didn't seem to work as well.
    So then my doc started trying all different ones on me until we came up with the right one (Prozac)
    I once tried Wellbutrin because I heard you could lose weight with it. Well, I'll tell you, I had energy alright but I started getting very irritated and yelling and screaming again. What good is it to lose weight if the medication makes you feel like killing someone?(lol)
    You'll probably have to experiment with different ones until you find the one just for you. It takes time....

Love,
    HOB
  5. lisjhn

lisjhn New Member

Thanks for the advice.

I think I will try the 5 mg. of Prozac for now since I'll be needing a sleep medication too, which may be another low dose night time anti-depressant. I am getting seriously depressed so I think I need something more than Sam-E, plus I don't believe you're supposed to mix Sam-E with any other anti-depressant, especially chemical.

So that's my next step, tell the doc to please treat my symptoms better. Like someone else said on the board recently...I'm tired, I'm sick and I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired. For now I think the best thing for me will be to not be so gung-ho on seeing doctor after doctor with the same let down. I feel my life is such a race to find a cure because I just can't accept the fact that my life is slipping by before my very eyes. So for now, I will accept the fact that there's just not enough info or doctors out there to cure me and just treat my symptoms as best as can be and relax a little.

Amy~ If you need energy and a slight lift in your mood, I would try Sam-E. When I first took it I wasn't feeling depressed or anything, it was just early on in my symptoms and I needed more energy. Plus I was never in a bad mood while on it. Anyway, it helped me A LOT!

Good Luck,
    LISA
  6. AnnG

AnnG New Member

I'm on 10 mg of Prozac and have been for years. It seems just the right amount for me. I don't like the side effects of taking more and 10 mg gives me the best of both worlds. My Dr can't believe that 10mg does it for me and so she continues to prescribe 20mg generic ones (you are able to cut those in half) and allows me to do what I want. I get twice as many doses that way!

I too, am tired of searching for the right DR. and so am trying to be better at just telling the DR what I want and need. Its not natural for me but I am trying!

Keep us posted!

Ann