anybody twitch at night?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bpmwriter, Dec 28, 2005.

1. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

lately (i'm blaming it on tramadol for now) i've been experiencing muscle twitches when i lay down to go to sleep. it feels just like the ones you get when you're right on the verge of falling asleep and snap awake, but these occur randomly, not on the verge of sleep, sometimes in my leg(s) or arms(s). anyone else, on tramadol or not, experience this?

eddie
  2. tngirl

tngirl New Member

I do this also but mine is not related to the tramadol. I have a movement disorder anyway. ( I twitch some in the daytime too) My twitching gets worse if I take an SSRI. I never and the night twitching at random until I took Cymbalta. I was on 30 mg nightly, and I would jerk myself awake. Do you take any anti-depressants? I know from experience that other medications such as Reglan can cause this too.

We are all different and I am not saying the tramadol is not causing it but look at any other medications you are taking also.

When I stopped the cymbalta the night time twitching subsided. The cymbalta is the only medication that made me twitch at night, but then I took it right before bedtime.
    The Reglan (I was taking it for stomach problems) did not make me do the night time twitching but it really made me jerk horribly in the day time.
  3. lin-z

lin-z New Member

I also twitch not only in bed but when I am just sitting still. It can be a leg, arm ,or shoulder twitch. It actually is subtle and doesnt bother me too much. I take cymbalta 30 mg twice a day. That seems to have lost its pain lessening powers unfortunately :(
  4. snooker11

snooker11 New Member

use to have this but then started taking a low dose of klonopin (.25 mg) . it nipped it in the bud. no more twitching.
  5. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

I find that I twitch when I do not take my trazadone or ambien to help me sleep. I know it is because my muscles are too tight because I over do it every day and I don't relax like I should.

Last night it about drove me crazy - I thought I was going to twitch right out of bed - lol.

Kelly
  6. ksc

ksc New Member

sounds like restless leg syndrome to me. i use to have it affecting my whole body at night. after being on mirapex for less then a week- it went away.
    kathy
  7. risinforce

risinforce New Member

I twitch when ever I lay to relax. Even if I'm awake. I had to be sedated one time for a MRI because I couldn't be still. The next time I was in they strapped me down w/velcro to save me $$$$. Sedation cost alot, I'm still paying the bill.

My finger twitches too when I type, in fact it was just twitching when I had my hand on the mouse. Like a MS patient.

I don't take Tramadol. I take Cymbalta, Topamax, Percocet and MS Contin. Have never heard of this kind of side effect from the meds I take. When I asked my doc she said it was just a symptom of FMS. One more to add to the many.

I call my twitching at night right before I fall asleep more like jerking. It's pretty big twitcing. Like a dog having a dream. It bugs my little boy whenever he sleeps w/me. That and my snoring from my meds knocking me out LOL!

You are not alone and not crazy that's for sure!

Hugs,
    Shawn
  8. Gly

Gly New Member

That's what I get. Usually just once but strong enough to almost lift me from the bed sometimes!

From the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Strokes:

"Other familiar examples of myoclonus are the jerks or "sleep starts" that some people experience while drifting off to sleep. These simple forms of myoclonus occur in normal, healthy persons and cause no difficulties."