Anybody using webtv?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by findmind, Aug 6, 2006.

1. findmind

findmind New Member

I need to know if there is a way to see the post I am replying to! So many have responded to some of my posts, and there is no way that I know of to see the posts while I reply!

Any WebTv users out there? Please help me! The tips site doesn't address this problem, so I'm lost.

If any of you see this and wonder why I haven't responed individually to you, that is why!

It would help me if you put my screen name in your title, that way I can do a search on my name and find your reply and answer you individually, ok?

Thanks!!!!
    Love Ya,
    findmind
  2. suzetal

suzetal New Member

The only post you see is your original post when you reply.

I have a PC and its the same.I only see my post when I reply.Thats the way this sight is.Its not just your WEB TV its all of us.

Hope thats what you wanted to know.
    Sue
  3. findmind

findmind New Member

Thanks, but boo-hoo, suzetal....

I thought someone told of a way to go back and forth, or split the screen, but guess that's not for webtv users!

Thanks for the answer,
    findmind
  4. Rose73

Rose73 New Member

I have a webtv. I only get the orginal post. Some boards have the latest, and some can scroll back with the last first and so forth.

I do forget what is in the post I am relying to. I have that problem with sending an e-mail. I find that taking notes on the post, and the user name, helps. I do find that I have to back until I get to the list of posts. Then I see the one I had posted to just in case I forgot something.

Rose
  5. findmind

findmind New Member

Thank you rose73 for replying.

I just learned I can press Ctrl and the Page Down key to get to the end of the replies, LOL

I do love my webtv, I really should learn how to cut and paste, but to post things here that way, I don't think so, because of the logging in and all.

Thanks so much, one more time!

findmind
  6. Rose73

Rose73 New Member

You can learn to copy, cut, and paste, by going to the Tips on the left hand column of your homepage. Also in Help.

I find that you can copy and cut and have it stored in memory as long as you are on the same user. Even if you have to log in to get on a board. I find it helpful.

I enjoy my webtv too. It is nice to sit in my recliner and surf the net.

Rose
  7. findmind

findmind New Member

I love it!

You have a box on top of tv. It connects to an adaptor which plugs into wall. You can connect certain printers which they say it supports, and

YES! you can even download digital pics with another special cord you have to buy.

I surf everywhere...however, some sites have a place where you have to "click" a mouse, and it doesn't use one.

There is a wireless keyboard, and one has to use the arrow keys and page up, down, to the top, or back to navigate.

There is a row of keys along the top, giving you instant access to Mail, Instant Messenger, Search, Photos, Videos, Music, Video Player, A Menu to print or send a page to someone else.

Other features are a "Recent" button which stores your las 18 web pages visited, which you can scroll back thru to find where you were earlier.

It also has a separate print key, a refresh (to get latest web page) and a resize key, to get better sizing on your screen.

I also like that it has a + or - key, to allow you to enlarge print (works great on this site!) or decrease it again.

It has a Sav favorite button and you can store infinite sites under different topics, or you can make new topics or files you visit often, plus 3 Fav buttons for your very, very favorites.

The latest versions cost about $150-200 and then you can use dial-up or fast DSL or cable.

It costs $25-30 mo. for MSNTV service, which I have debited from my checking account.

I use it on a Toshiba 27" TV, and I sit on my bed all propped up with pillows, or I sit in an armchair in my room.

I love it because I do not have to learn any computer programs, do not ever have to worry about viruses or firewalls or spyware...MSNTV takes care of all that through their service providers.

It has a home page and if you have fast internet connection (not dial-up), you can listen to radio, view their news and specialty videos, etc.

I think it would be great for kids because of the security feature, they would be where you can see them. They can still go almost anywhere online, but if hooked up to tv in living area, you can see what they're doing.

You can shop, and MSNTV has a "safe" site feature, showing a padlock on the sites you can order from safely.

The main thing I don't like is that you can't see an email you're replying to, because if you write back, if you try to "go back", using "back" key, you get a screen that only allows you to save your answer as a draft, delete it or cancel it!

They are working one this, it may be made better eventually.

They have good customer service if you have any problems learning. (The instruction book doesn't go "deep" enough.)

Try it, you'll like it! You can call 1-866-466-7688 for more info (like how large a tv you can use).

findmind

8. Rose73

Rose73 New Member

you have the latest unit. MsnTv2. I have the New Classic. I don't think they are making more of those. I hope that it will last for quite awhile.

I like webtv because I can sit in my recliner and surf. I use my wood tv try when I am typing, like now. And don't have to fuss with a computer even though I may get one later.

They have a service that is easy to make web pages. I make those, and have several.

It is easy to maintain. Don't have to use an intivirus. I can start at getting online.

I store photos in my scrapbook which I can put on a website to show. I can get them in by having someone e-mail to me. I keep most of my photos in e-mail storage, and update to see if some I want to delete.

Some areas don't have a local phone number for MsnTV service like here. There are some ISP's you can get service that has a local access number, but you do have to pay the full price. But MsnTv takes off $10.00 of their bill. It saves from having long distance costs.

I have a 19 inch tv. My receiver box sits on a stand next to my tv. It has a cordless keyboard, and a remote control that can work with your tv and vcr. It has to be programed though. If you don't have the three audio and vidio jacks on your tv, you would need a RF Modifier. It is a small box that serves that purpose. It is like if you have a DVD player.

I can go most sites I want to. I have the Messenger, but I haven't used it for awhile. It is there, don't download. A good favorite filing system, and shortcut keys that I tap on one key to get here and other sites I go often.

I put my keyboard and remote in the tv cabinet when not using it.

Rose
  9. kjfms

kjfms Member

I don't have Webtv but you can try holding down the "shift" Key while clicking on Reply. (keep the shift key pressed while clicking reply)

This will open a new window for you to reply in and that way you can switch back and forth or resize them and have the windows side by side.

Hope this helps a little,

Karen :)
  10. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Wow!! I just tried that and it works!!! I had such a problem replying to posts that sometimes I would print them so that I could read them while replying. Now I wont' have to do that anymore!!!

I can barely remember what I did two seconds ago, It was so hard to remember what was in someones post. I was constatly editing to get everything in!!
  11. kjfms

kjfms Member

so glad it worked for you. It does make it easier and it will save you a lot of paper to boot...LOL

Well got to go get ready for doctor's app't.

Have a good day,

12. findmind

findmind New Member

Mine doesn't work!!!!

Darn.

I think I have the 2nd edition of the very first one...

Maybe I'll give this one to my grandson, and then get the latest version...

His Xmas present, and one for me too :)

Thanks for replying...others are finding this thread useful, too, so that's wonderful!

There's always hope!
    findmind
  13. kjfms

kjfms Member

so sorry it did not work for you. Silly question but I am going to ask anyway. Are you keeping the shift key down while clicking on reply if you let go to soon it will not work-just a thought.

It will make a good present!!!

Have a good evening,

14. findmind

findmind New Member

Nope, that doesn't work....

But thanks for keeping on helping, LOL

Glad to know its my web set, not me :)

findmind
  15. kjfms

kjfms Member

so sorry that just sucks (for lack of a better word) have you thought about just opining another window use one for reading and one for responding if that makes any sense although it might be a little more work.

Does Webtv have windows?

Hang in there and I hope you find a solution,

[This Message was Edited on 08/10/2006]
  16. findmind

findmind New Member

No, it doesn't have windows...:(

Oh, well, I'm happy with it.

findmind
  17. kjfms

kjfms Member

sorry we couldn't find a solution for you but I am happy if you are happy :)

Talk to you soon and take care,