Anyone? about Gallbladder attacks

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tandy, Sep 15, 2005.

1. tandy

tandy New Member

Hi guys,gals~

Has anyone here that has had their gallbladder go bad,
    NOT had nausea as a symptom??

I'm having reacurring stomach pain that I sware could sound like my gallbladder. But no nausea.

High upper belly pain,..slightly to the right(but just as bad in the center too). Sometimes at its worse it goes into my back. Kinda under my right shoulder blade area.
    I had a scan done 2 yrs ago and everything was ok.
    But this is way more intense then back then.
    I do have IBS but my GOD this is getting to be terrible!
    I think its something more?
    I even thought chrohns??
    anyone,.? help!
    suggestions,replys,anything!
    My SIL gave me a percocette today and even that did'nt take it away. (it did help some tho)
    Thanks
    Tandy
  2. suz9601

suz9601 Member

I have to opposite, no pain but constant nausea. Go for Pipida in a week. I hope it is not our gall bladders. We have enough to deal with. I have been nauseas for over 5 weeks now, all day long. It;s getting old.
  3. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

Hi Tandy,
    Oh, those nasty gall bladder attacks! I had a problem, mine was extreme pain rivaling chidbirth, and also extreme burning, like my stomach was on fire. Had diarrhea but not nausea.

After several trips to the ER was diagnosed with a problem with the ejection fraction of my gall bladder. I had many tests done. Out it came with laproscopic surgery, and I've never, ever had that problem again.

For several years leading up to this I had milder pain, they thought it might be gall bladder, but it took extreme pain to have any treatment, go figure.

I would suggest that you go back for some updated testing. I wish you the very best, I know how awful it can be.

Take care,
    Hopeful4
  4. JLH

JLH New Member

It sounds as is it's your gallbladder. You said you had a scan done 2 years ago and it was OK. A lot can happen in two years. I would get an appt with your family doc and arrange to have an ultrasound or CT scan done ASAP.

The pain was so bad with my GB attacks that I thought I was having another kidney stone attack -- except the pain was a different place -- but I knew it was a "stone" attack--just gall stones instead of kidney stones!

My gallbladder ended up full of stones and I had it removed soon after my first attack.

This was ages ago and I had the "old fashioned" surgery where I have about a 12" scar on the right side of my stomach now! My daughter has hers out a few years ago and it was done with a laproscope and she had little pain and recovered 5 times as quick as I did!!

Take care,
    Janet
  5. cbella

cbella New Member

It sound like classic gallbladder attack. Ultasound shows stones and if no stones, then a HIDA scan shows the ejection fraction or percent that it's working. You'll feel a lot better without it, if that's what it is. I just talked my husband into having his out 2 weeks ago (after feeling miserable at times for 2 years!) He said he is so glad that he had it out, he feels so much better! good luck! cbella
  6. tandy

tandy New Member

so much!!

I'm highly suspecting something going on.Thisd can't be IBS. Seems too high, I know we have our intestines all wrapped up in there so I just was'nt sure.
    I also have Endo.
    And I once had a kidney sand stone,..(tiny) but it sure felt HUGE! and this does feel kinda like that but just in a different area.
    Can one keep getting these attacks (with gallbladder)
    and time in between when your feeling ok?? Then BAM here it is agin!?? can it come and go?
    This time its been pretty bad for 3 or 4 days now.
    Not letting up yet.
    Thanks for replying~
    Hugs
    Tandy
  7. JLH

JLH New Member

Tandy,

Since you have already had a kidney stone attack, you know the pain. Yes, gallstone attacks feel similar to the kidney stone attack, only just in a different area.

You will keep getting these attacks until you get rid of the gallstones!

The attack will eventually go away, and then like you said - out of no where, BAM! you're under attack and doubled over in pain. They will continue like this - to come and go - until you eliminate the cause - which is your gallbladder which is filled with stones.

I would be seeing a doctor ASAP, arranging for the test to confirm your problem, and then a surgeon to remove the problem!!!

No narcotics will eliminate your pain, only take the edge off. Only guarantee to be pain-free is surgery!!

Since it's been pretty bad for 3 or 4 days and is not letting up--I would go to the Emergency Room--you don't want your gallbladder to rupture!!!!! Then, you're talking more problems and you might end up a pretty sick young lady!

Why spend more time in the hospital than needed?

GET GOING NOW TO THE E.R.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When you get back, give up an updated report!

Wishing you a speedy recovery (in advance!),
    Janet

[This Message was Edited on 09/15/2005]
  8. jaltair

jaltair New Member

I had terrible gallbladder problems starting when I was about 20 - had my gallbladder removed at about 26. My experience began with terrible pain under my ribs and up to my chest. I thought I was having a heart attack! At times, I would pass out with pain. Many times I had pain without nausea. However, at the point that it was determined I had stones (before ultrasound - I'm 58) I was vomiting up stool (Yuk! Sorry . . ). Also, couldn't eat anything except canned peaches! My gallbladder was so full of stones it was about ready to rupture and the surgery was a pretty urgent and painful matter (actually incision with a drainage tube and several days in the hospital).

I think experiences with gallbladder vary from person to person. My aunt had inflamed gallbladder, but no stones. Her pain was less than mine, but felt like a heart attack.

I hope you don't have gallbladder problems. Since mine was removed, I have had nothing but GI problems. That's when my IBS began, and part of me believes that's when my FMS began. Take care and let us know how things go. You'll be in my thoughts/prayers.

Warm wishes, Jeannette
  9. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

The first was a pian in my right side that made me feel like I was full of alot of pressure and pain, the seecond was horrid pain after eating cottage cheese and peaches and it was the worest pain I have had next to the shattering of my wrist. I had an untra sound at the ER on the second attack and was told that i had major stones in my gallblader and it needed to come out asap I had to wait till the daughter got married and I did, IT was been 2 weeks yesterday since the srugery and my doctor lied when he siad I would be up and about and normal in 3-5 days , And I have been in terriable pain all day with cramps in the muscles where I had the lapersocopy and I wanted to die it was so bad but the doctor told me that it was normal for me to feel that pain and cramping and it would and could last up to 2-3 months after surgery and I should use ice and rest alot and take it really easy.

I hope that you get in and get an ultrasound and have it checked out, I don't generally hurts like i have today and most of the pain has been not that bad, but this crammping things were nasty. So me and my ICE bag are going to go to bed now take care. Rosemarie
  10. tngirl

tngirl New Member

I did have some nausea, but not always. My pain was just as you described, but I also have acid reflux pretty bad and I think my center pain was from that because I still have it sometimes. Of course that doesn't mean that is what your pain in the center is from.

Does the pain get worse after you eat? I think that is common with gallbladder problems.Fried and fat laden foods will make it worse than anything.

I was afraid of surgery and tried to modify my diet to get relief. That worked ok for a while but it eventually got so painful I couldn't stand it and could eat practically nothing without excrutiating pain. The test they ran showed my gallbladder was not functioning at all.

If you have fever with the pain, it could be a sign of infection and you should go to the doctor right away. That is what my doctor advised when I wanted to try and modify my diet to see if it would solve the problem.
  11. tandy

tandy New Member

No fever noticed with my pain.
    It is worse after foods. seems like alot of foods too!
    Not just greasy ones. Gravies,..and peppers,salads to name a few just kill me! I've stopped milk products.
    Coffee(and I love my coffee) wrecks me when I have this pain. I sip on water,and fear food.
    Today its a lil bit better,... tho still enough there to drag me down. I've been alternating heat and ice on the worse area. That helps(I guess??) also went out and bought liguid advil today.
    At its worse,..the pain is all across right under my ribs. Goes into the back too. Makes trying to get comfy very hard.
    I have a doc. appointment for Monday. If I can make it till then and I'm trying as I hate hospitals.
    Not that many of us like them but,..well you know what I mean. All the tests and nothing for pain till they know whats going on. I've heard it all before.
    Thank you for all your help and concerns~
    I will bring this post back up top when I know anything more. For those interested.
    Hugs
    Tandy
    anyone know if I can safely mix advil with ultram?
  12. kbak

kbak Member

I was only 20 yrs. old when I started having gallbladder attacts. For months I suffered terribly because my doc had never seen anyone my age with gallbladder problems.

When he finally Dx'd barium x-rays, it showed my gallbladder packed solid with stones.

When I was having an attact, it felt like I was having a 2 ton truck sitting on my chest. The pain got to be beyond unbareable. But, I had gone on for way to long.

This isn't something that's hard to determine. A barium x-ray will tell you what's happening. It's more common then people think.
  13. Alyndra

Alyndra New Member

The only thing that let me know something was even wrong was the sheer pain I had - Right side of my body, just under my rib cage. Couldn't sit, couldn't walk, couldn't get up and around without help. But mine had ruptured before they even knew what was causing my pain.

SO! Scary story aside, what you're describing; to me, sounds exactly like the pains I get from chronic GERD. Sometimes it hurts so much it's hard to breath. When it gets like that though, I know it's time to change my meds again. You would be surprised at the amount of damage just a lil bit of acid can cause!

Just for the sake of taking the easy way out though - from my experience go for an upper GI first. That test is MUCH more pleasant then being made radio active for the galbladder one.

Percocette should help drastically for galbladder pains, etc. What it wouldn't make much of a difference with is if there is damage in the bronchial tubes and such.

My doc told me that what happened to my galbladder is a one in a few million thing. So don't worry, I've got the next few million people covered. :)
  14. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

I had my Gallbladder removed several yrs. ago. I had pain in my chest and back. I had Jaundice so bad I was yellow as gold.I didn't eat a bite for 8 days. anything I put in my mouth --even water almost killed me. They found that my Bile Duct was completely blocked with a large stone. Dr took a picture of it and showed it to me.I felt sooo much better after I had it removed. It was 2 different procedures to do the Gallbladder surgery and the Bile duct--they went down my throat to remove the stone from my Bile Duct.On top of all that--the Lady in my room had a whole lot of flowers--which I'm allergic too. After surgery ,I sneezed and coughed til I thought all my stitches would be pulled out.
    Hugs Shirley
  15. motomom412

motomom412 New Member

have they checked your pancreas? I've have about 8-10 attacks since '94. they are excruitating! But I have always been throwing up as well.

I hope you find out soon whats wrong and I will keep you in my prayers.

Regene
  16. jaltair

jaltair New Member

Then you'll have Ultracet. I take Ultracet and it does help the fibro pain, it may help your "gallbladder" pain as well. Keep us informed of what you find. I'll be keeping you in thoughts and prayers . . don't blame you, I hate hospitals as well and I'm a nurse :<) LOL!
  17. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Several years ago I had chronic problems with right-sided abdominal pain and indigestion. I was fortunate enough to have a chiropractor who does muscle testing (Ralph is always talking about this and he is right). He diagnosed inflammed gallbladder and even one time a plugged bile duct.

He treated me with Standard Process products. I think for the bile duct he used collinsonia root and choline (it's been about 10 years). For the gallbladder, he used Betafood by Standard Process. Beta food contains beet root, beet leaf, oat flour and dried beet root juice. Doesn't sound like it would do much, but it did.

I found in the long run that I had to do a liver detox, and also started taking digestive enzymes with hydrochloric acid. My digestion now is very good, I still have my gallbladder and I am eternally grateful to my chiropractor.

I never got to the point where I had severe pain, but it was definitely noticeable and my digestion was totally screwed up -- perhaps if I hadn't gone to the chiropractor when I did, I may have ended up having to have my gallbladder removed.

But I believe that probably many gallbladders could be saved if the doctors knew about nutrition, about cleanses, about enzymes, etc., as my chiropractor did.

Mary
  18. tandy

tandy New Member

Now today,...its back to worse.??
    whatever the hell this is I'ts up and down.
    yesterday I was feeling a lil better.

I do have a doc. appointment on monday.
    so,..we'll see what he wants to order now.
    I'm suppose to be sceduling a sugery for my Endo which is really bad again. thats what this drs appointment is for.
    Now this! so I've got 2 differnt issues to take of right now :(
    I've thought of my pancreas to.
    Someone above mentioned this??
    Promise to update monday after drs.
    keeping my fingers and toes crossed :)
    Hugs
    Tandy
  19. cbella

cbella New Member

do mean scheduling surgery for your endo? Endoscopy is looking into the stomach with a scope-Is that what you're talking about? And just a note about your gallbladder...My husband put up with gallbladder attacks for 2 years. Lately, they were coming more often and lasting longer. I finally talked him into surgery 2 weeks ago. He told me that he is so thankful that I talked him into it. He feels so much better. He's so glad he had it out and his recuperation was hardly anything. Had surgery on Friday and on Monday he was working light duty. Good luck and hugs..cbella
  20. sofy

sofy New Member

I dont know the answer to your ??? but just 5 minutes ago I read, on a lyme site, about a natural way to get rid of stones. You may be interested in reading it. It seemed pretty safe.

The one mentioned by the writer was the Hulda Clark receipe which was quite a ways down the page.

Type "curezone liver cleanse" into google and its the one on the top. Hope you feel better soon. If you should try this please let us know.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/17/2005]