Anyone actually feel slightly better on a High Fat diet?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Manwithfibro, Nov 15, 2005.

1. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

I know this sounds crazy but if I have a day where I eat more fat, I seem to feel a little better. Not great of course but noticably better. Maybe we are going the wrong route in trying to eliminate fat etc?

I am not saying fast food preservative type fat...by the way.

Maybe we lack protein?
  2. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

suggests we eat meat daily or take L-carnitine supplement so yes it would seem we do need a lot of protein.

I started the L-carnitine as I dont want to eat red meat more than twice a week.

Oh, she doesnt suggest going without carbs and to only eat fats, many fats like cheese dont agree with me.

love
    Rosie
    [This Message was Edited on 11/15/2005]
  3. tcluna

tcluna New Member

Actually a high fat low carb diet is the basis os ketogenic diets, that are for refrative treatable epilepsiy. They almost alwys work. They put your body in natural ketosis, which releases beta-hydroxy-butyrate, which acts VERy similar to klonopin or GHB (Xyrem) on the GABA receptors in your body, except its natral.

it does indeed work and is actually healhty as long as its the right fats and proteins, and very little carbs. Even Atkins and the others work very ketosis. it puts a general improvement of mood on you as well.
  4. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I don't have any scientific data, but this is just my own experience. I feel better overall on a low-fat diet. I have even eliminated beef completely from my diet, most cheeses (use soy instead), and any other high fat dairy product. I substitute these sources with nuts, etc. but in a small amount.

I have been doing this for about 6 weeks now...I felt lousy with my depression and my pain remained about the same, but suddenly the last 5 doays or so, I feel an amazing amount of energy. I pinch myself to see if this is real, and it is.

Now...I don't expect that this will completely cure me of all problems...but I do feel physically less heavy and sluggish.

Just my experience for what it's worth.

Sue
  5. Frecker777

Frecker777 New Member

I absolutely feel best when eating a high fat and protein diet along with low carbs. I keep all veggies and low starch fruits in my diet, but whenever I try to add starches back in, I feel horrid. As this disease has progressed over the past 5 years, so has my intolerance for carbohydrates—I feel best on an Atkins type diet with no restrictions on veggies.
    -Carrie