Anyone Afraid to Take Meds?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Mar 5, 2006.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

Just wondering if I am the only one afraid to take meds? Guess its my anxiety or from having reactions or them not helping..

I am also afraid to go out of town, afraid of having a crash or something don't know what is wrong with me..

Guess I am the only one with this problem and was ashamed to post it but thought what the heck..

God Bless,
    greatgran
  2. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I have read your posts since being on the board, and I have often thought how alike we are.

My very worse symptom is anxiety, I think I could live with the pain and insomnia if I could just get past this. It severly affects my life and everything I do (or don't do). Medication terrifies me, I am supposed to go for blood work - too scared-, cancelled my colonoscopy last week due to panic attack.

I still have a bottle of Effexor I haven't touched, tried Elavil for 2 days, the slightest side effects scared me. The worst thing is, I know I need to do something or I will become a hermit!! A very broke hermit!!

It is very embarassing for me, and I hardly go anywhere anymore and feel like no one "gets it".

Also I don't drive and live alone so that makes it worse. I don't have a answer, but God Bless you you are not alone in this.

Sue in Ontario
  3. pemaw54

pemaw54 New Member

I started having anxiety about 11 yrs ago. It messes up everything. I have the opposite problem from you. Im on 27 different meds and it seems everytime I go back, one of my drs give me something else. I dont remember what I used to be like.. Dont ever worry about talking about anything you are concerned about.. We are here for each other and we all have our demons to fight.

Suzette
  4. pemaw54

pemaw54 New Member

I started having anxiety about 11 yrs ago. It messes up everything. I have the opposite problem from you. Im on 27 different meds and it seems everytime I go back, one of my drs give me something else. I dont remember what I used to be like.. Dont ever worry about talking about anything you are concerned about.. We are here for each other and we all have our demons to fight.

Suzette
  5. greatgran

greatgran Member

Pickles, yes antidepressant is my worst feared med, and I know I need one..That is the only thing that every doctor I have been to had in common they all prescribed AD..

Sue, thank you so much for your reply boy does it help to have someone that can understand and Yes we do sound like we are dealing with the same issues..Your reply was as if I was describing me to a tee..I too cancel more appointments than I keep..Speaking of the colonoscopy heck, I freaked out when I had to take my husband for one..

When I went to have a MRI the xanax did touch my anxiety..I told them I would just have to die I could not have it done..

My husband gets so upset with me..He says no wonder you don't get better you won't do anything the doctor tells you to do, and he is right..So he has no compassion for me ...

Maybe if we stick together we can come up with some answers..Please stay in touch as to what you do or don't do..Take or don't take...

Prayes,
    greatgran
  6. greatgran

greatgran Member

Do the meds work and do you take that many for anxiety? If they work and you can have a life good for you..

Wish I could get past this fear but can't seem to to..I do take xanax but guess not enough or they aren't working..Well, they do help and I have no fear of taking them..

Also this fear of going out of town..and all the doctors that I should see are out of town..

Thanks and God Bless,
    greatgran
  7. harrysmom

harrysmom Member

Hey, Greatgran,
    The other day I was reading a post from you on a different topic and you said you don't go to doctors anymore and "I'll either live or die". That quote could have come directly from my mouth.

I get so anxious about meds I hardly ever try anything different and anti-depressants are out of the question. I have tried several of them and even half of a Sam-e and they all have the same effect - they make me feel like I'm going crazy and my mind is racing and can't calm down and it sends me into worse anxiety and a panic attack. Taking anything like that for me is out of the question.

I have been sick 10 years and thank God I have a roommate/friend that understands and helps me. She is my "safe" person and in order to go out of the house I mostly have had to have her take me to the store or appointments and I need her to stay with me, like at the beauty parlor or in the exam room at a doctor, because sometimes I can feel a terrible anxiety attack coming on and she has to talk me down. It's not much fun being at home so much with your own car always parked in the garage. Only rarely can I go a short distance alone, say maybe to return a video or go through a fast food drive thru.

I take Xanax - it helps me to sleep and relax at night - but I tried taking it during the day and I can't function at all because it makes me so tired.

Wish me luck - I have a dental appointment for a cleaning scheduled for tomorrow. I'm already getting extra anxious and worried about it. This illness is nuts.

harrysmom
  8. mamabear2157

mamabear2157 New Member

Hi greatgran!!

You sound so much like me. I too am terrified to take new drugs. Especially AD's. Any I have tried have either raised my heart rate and pulse or raised or lowered my blood pressure to dangerous levels. Even had to have an echocardiogram and stress test from the second to the last one. The last one gave me a terrible case of diarrhea. I have had some scripts that I have had filled, and then just couldn't get myself to take them.

You are definitely not alone with this one.

Gentle hugs,

Mary Ellen
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Unless it's a life or death situation. Too many have been recalled for serious side effects. I weigh the risks versus the benefits with everything else. The only drug I take which messes with brain chemicals is the Klonopin. If Dr. Cheney is right, it protects our neurons from premature death due to the ongoing slight state of seizure which produces our anxiety. I take tiny bits of it during the day and the larger dose at night for sleep. It has been a God send.

I plan soon to try to wean down on it to see whether I still need it as I heal. No one knows what decades of use of drugs which alter brain chemicals will do. I would prefer to go off of it but if I still need it, I'll stay on it.

Love, Mikie
  10. redtex

redtex New Member

all medications come with side effects and no one knows the effects of taking them over long periods of time,which if we live long enough we may end up doing.remember that it is a long term commitment. some of the drugs that doctors recommend haven't been out very long. i have read what dr's cheney, joseph glenmullen, and peter breggin have said about long term use of antidepressants and it has really effected my opinion about taking them for the next two or three decades. it is a personal decision so you have to do what is best for you. good luck to all. just my two cents worth.