anyone?...any good doctors in Ventura area in CA

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by piebear, Dec 28, 2005.

1. piebear

piebear New Member

To those of you that live in the Ventura county area or near it in CA. I need to find a doctor that can help me with the fibro better. The doctors I've had just don't help me enough. I saw a Rheumy but I didn't like him at all and my general doctor wants to send me to a pscyhiatrist cause he insists I should be on an antidepressant and that I have a huge depression problem which I don't. My big problem is lack of sleep. And yes occasionally I get depressed but that is normal!
    So was wondering if anyone knew of any good ones whether Rheumy or other. I just want someone that can help me better!
    Any help would be appreciated. I am soo frustrated!
    Thanks in advance!
    [This Message was Edited on 12/29/2005]
  2. piebear

piebear New Member

3. piebear

piebear New Member

bumping again
    still looking for help..
  4. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

in Santa Paula-It is a clinic.She hasn't had a lot of experience with fibro but is open to learning.She's helped me a lot.I went to a great rheumatologist in Ventura.I'll dig up her name tomorrow.Linda.........a lot of Doctors do the antidepressants not for depression but because it increases the levels of serotonin in our brain .We are short on that chemical.
  5. piebear

piebear New Member

Thanks for the info. I sure appreciate it. I'm pretty frustrated that I haven't got very far with my doctors. Been doing this dance for awhile now.
    The Rheumy that diagnosed me is hard to get into see..takes me almost 2 months to get in! And the other is getting too overwelmed since he is just a general doctor. Seems like he's tired of constantly trying me on this and that even though thats what you have to do to find the right thing that works for you. He knows so little thats why he is now wanting me to see a psychiatrist. I'm wondering if I should try that? I didn't know psychiatrists could help with that sort of thing but my doctor seems to think so.

I just want someone that can help me figure out what is best for me and what works for me because right now I am so stressed and confused. :(
  6. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I used to live near Ventura. There is a very good chiropractor there named Robert Cocain (yes, that's his real name). He does a form of muscle testing called contact reflex analysis and he helped me a lot with different problems that he diagnosed using the muscle testing. It was very good. It didn't solve everything, of course, but he helped me a lot. He's easy to get in to see and his fees are reasonable. I highly recommend him.

There's a doctor in Thousand Oaks named Phillip Taylor. He is semi-retired and he is difficult to get in to see - it usually takes several months to get an appointment, but he is very thorough. He will do a hair analysis and he works mainly with nutrition and supplements, although will prescribe drugs when necessary. His office is only open Tues., Weds and Thurs.

One more thing - re serotonin - if your levels are low, this can interefere with sleep. However, you can raise your serotonin levels using the amino acid 5-htp. You don't have to take a prescription anti-depressant to do this. 5-htp is much safer than the prescription drugs. I take 50 mg. twice a day, in the morning, on an empty stomach. It doesn't make me sleepy during the day, but definitely helps with sleep. It kept me awake when I took it before bed.

Also re sleep, a neighbor of mine who has FM says that pregenenelone is helping her with her sleep problems. This is something Dr. Taylor can test you for, your pregnenelone levels, among other things.

Good luck!

Mary
  7. CinCA

CinCA New Member

That supposedly specializes in FM/CFS. I can't remember the name...I think I saw it mentioned on this site awhile back. It supposedly is good, although I have no direct experience. I know it's a hike for you, though, and it sounds like you got some closer recommendations.

I am moving up to your neck of the woods in a month or so, so I was curious as to the results of your post. I live a couple hours south, and in general I've stopped seeing MDs and see a naturopathic physician because I also got the "you're depressed/[etc.] - here's some pills" routine. I got absolutely disgusted with the poor quality of care I was receiving. Hopefully you'll have better luck, and it's good you are still searching for answers.

Best of luck to you!
    C.