anyone been able to do ekg/stress test?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bamboo, Apr 30, 2003.

1. bamboo

bamboo New Member

the cardiologist i saw high blood pressure wanted to order this test for me when she found the right hypertensive meds to get my bp down. however, i had foot surgery in the past and easily re-injure my foot, as well as develop spasms, etc. in my legs from too much exercise. my husband says he can't imagine how i could get through this treadmill test. has anyone else had experience in having to do this test?
  2. kgg

kgg New Member

I survived but I couldn't go real fast. It's been a couple of years since I've worked out and my legs couldn't keep up at the end. I was a little sore the next day, but not as bad as expected. The idea of the drug induced one doesn't thrill me, so was glad it could get done. The staff listened to me and asked how I was doing a lot. And stopped the test when I said to. Hope this helps. -Karen

3. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

Last year I had horrible shortness of breath so the doctor had me do the EKG/stress test. The main problem I had was that they kept increasing the pace of the treadmill, and since I had shortness of breath, I had trouble breathing. But my test came out negative and my heart is fine. Seems the shortness of breath was due to anxiety. If I were you, I would talk to the surgeon who operated on your foot and ask him/her what their opinion is of you taking the test. Good luck!

Annette2
  4. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

I had the drug induced stress test last year. A little scary when the drug hits your system, but it worked and I made it through. You can't have any (zero, zilch, nadda) caffiene the day before because they are apparently using caffiene to induce the stress. I knew I couldn't handle the walking test because my feet hurt all the time.

Take care and good luck.
  5. Madelyn

Madelyn New Member

I've done this test twice. I was apprehensive, but it was really nothung to worry about. They don't MAKE you go beyond your ability--they work with you. Don't worry.
    Madelyn
    PS. I have CFIDS.[This Message was Edited on 05/01/2003]
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I told them I have FMS/CFIDS and they didn't push me. They got what they needed right after I reached my target heart rate. I could have kept going but they were content with what they got. I didn't flare afterward.

My BP came down to low/normal from high/normal withing 8 days on the Suzanne Somers diet. My cholesterol came down from 191 to 168 and all my lipids improved.

Love, Mikie
  7. klutzo

klutzo New Member

But please make sure they inject you with thallium through an IV and do a Pet scan afterwards, otherwise the test is pretty useless, esp. in females. Also, be aware that the risk of having a heart attack is much higher in the two weeks following a stress test (even if you passed).
    I had the regular treadmill test followed by the Pet scan. I would never do it again. Even though I work out and always have, my BP was dangerously high and I started having chest pain after only 7 minutes on the treadmill....a poor showing for someone who exercises so much. I did not have heart disease....I was just told I wasn't working out hard enough. I tried to explain about fibro, but got that blank stare....you know the one!
    Good luck,
    KLutzo
  8. MtnDews

MtnDews New Member

Yes, I had one last year. It was okay, just something else to get through. The test showed that I was exercise intolerant. DUH! A year later, it appears that the chest pains come from a possible ulcer. More tests...sigh.
    Helen
  9. Nikki

Nikki Member

I had my very first treadmill stress test earlier this month because (even tho I have low BP) I was having chest pain. I was monitored very carefully by the tech and the cardiologist during the test. I suffer constantly w/shin splints & tendonitis, but I was able to get my heart rate up to target; altho, at the end I was painfully short of breath. I'm glad I had it done, and all my tests were negative.

Good Luck to you............nikki
  10. bamboo

bamboo New Member

now that i've found this website, i don't know what i would do without it! everyone is so very helpful and kind. thanks so much for taking the time to share your experiences.