Anyone been on Biaxin?

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by justjanelle, Nov 13, 2008.

1. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

My LLMD has decided that after 8 months on Doxy and little progress it was time to try something new. He's put me on a different antibiotic, Biaxin. Anybody here been on this one?

Best wishes,
    Janelle
  2. coon32185

coon32185 New Member

I am currently taking this one and on day four of it.
  3. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

I started mine on Tuesday last week, so I guess we're at about the same place on it.

I'm not sure if I'm herxing (I never did herx on the Doxy) but I'm certainly feeling worse in many ways since I started the biaxin. Of course that could also be the result of the day-long drive to the doctor and another day coming back home afterwards. I always kind of crash from that even though my husband does most of the driving.

I was just wondering how other people did on it.

My Lyme Doctor pretty much said that if this doesn't help much I may have to go to shots or IV, which I sure don't want to have to do.

Best wishes,
    Janelle
  4. Daisys

Daisys Member

I'm reading that your doctors are using one ABX at a time. The spiroketes just change their form, and escape from the one ABX.

My LLMD had me on 2 different ones at a time--to kill the 2 forms of active infection. Every 6 months, he changed the ABX, so the bacteria wouldn't get resistant. I was on Biaxin at one time, but don't remember the ABX that I took with it.

A very good reference is in the Burrascano paper at the ILADS site. It's a compilation of what's worked for many lyme literate doctors, and there's a section of recommendations of which ABX to pair up. Maybe you could print out the material (30 pages) and give it to your doctor as a good guide. Toward the end is a section for patients themselves, and what they can do to get better. In fact, there's things that we do that will guarantee relapses, so we want to know what to avoid. It's in there, besides diet and supplement information.

After a year of doing 2 ABX at a time, with periodic changes, I'm about 80% better than I was. I hope you, Janelle, and coon get good results, too.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/16/2008]
  5. coon32185

coon32185 New Member

I am taking biaxin and clindamycin.
  6. Daisys

Daisys Member

My LLMD doesn't use cyst busters until the numbers of ketes are way down, otherwise it may be overwhelming to have so much toxins to get out of the body. Actually, some feel that if a person is herxing, it's because they have more toxins building up than they can get rid of. Every doctor has a different way of treatment, and I know mine even treats another entirely differently from my treatment.

So, I wasn't even going to go on flagyl until after a year of ABX treatment. I was doing well, and that was the next step for me. I have SAD very bad, so I have a set back every winter, and asked to hold off the cyst busting until I get stronger in the spring.

So, I'm on herbs until then, and I'm finding that they are causing as much herxing as the ABX did at first. They must be finding something the ABX were missing--or, my defences are down already. I've been fighting viruses for weeks now. My system gets down when the days are dark and short.

The point I'm getting at is the body has to be able to handle taking care of the infection. Even though the ABX kills the bacteria, the body has to get rid of the toxins, and it needs to be strong enough to do that. I know it would've been a mistake to put me on a cyst buster right at first because I was not in good shape at all. I was weak from heavy metals, EBV, enteroviral infections, and babesia, besides the lyme infection itself.

Maybe some get on 3 ABXs at first because they are strong enough to handle it, or their infection isn't at a high level. But I haven't seen that happen often in reading the lyme forums.

I agree, lymenet is really a great resource, and I've learned a lot from reading of other's treatment regimens.
  7. foggyfroggy

foggyfroggy Guest

Do you take Vitamin D? A couple of years ago I discovered (by accident) That if I take 2000 - 4000 mg of D per day it really helps my SAD. I use Carlsons brand. There is a bunch of research coming out that say it helps immune function too and that maybe lack of D is why people in northern countries get a lot of Flu and colds in the winter but equatorial peoples dont get so much.

I dunno about that, but I do know it helps me.
  8. Daisys

Daisys Member

I just started taking D3 a few days ago. I had forgotten about it when I ran out in the summertime. Now, I'm thinking it's good to take year around, because it's not just about SAD. I hear there's many important reasons to take it, and we may be low in it with this illness.

I'm taking 5,000iu from this site. In a couple of months I have my annual with my PCP. I'm going to make sure I get tested for it.

Thank you for bringing it up--it's a good point.