Anyone been to the Pittsburgh,PA FFC?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Anafun, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Anafun

Anafun Member

Hi i live in Pittsburgh and wanted to visit the FFC.Any feedback.Has anyone gotton better.On what treatment?
    Also does anyone knoe a good PCP who is suportive of patients with CFS?
  2. waxdiva

waxdiva New Member

I'm also in Pgh...all I know about the FFC Center is that it is very expensive and not covered by any insurance.

I called them and was told that I would have to pay for everything upfront and then submit my receipts to my insurance company and hope that they reimburse me. They require you to come in for an evaluation and they prescribe their supplements. I was told that the first visit would be approximately $2,000.

I can tell you who to steer clear of in the Pgh area...please, please, please DO NOT go to Terence Starz (UPMC rheumatologist) or to Dr. Killian (W Penn rheumatologist) or Burton Pollock (UPMC rheumatologist). You can look up my username for messages detailing info re these "doctors."

Also, I was just referred to the UPMC pain clinic in Shadyside and after hearing their proposed treatment for FM patients, I told them I was not interested.

Right now I have an appt with a pain doctor on the 23rd and am hoping that this is the last doctor in the seeming neverending merry-go-round of medical "experts."

Wax
  3. Empower

Empower New Member

Do some "net" research on the doctors there. Call and ask the doctor (s) that will be treating you.

I think the one there really needs to be checked out.

I did, and I ending up cancelling my appointment after I read it.

I agree with Waxdiva on the other doctors she? mentioned. Been there, done that, would NOT recommend.

After thinking back, I think my PCP has the most understanding of these DD"s
  4. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

hi fellow western PA fibrofriends! <P>i didn't know there was so many on here! I go to Allegheny Medical for their fibro program, they had support groups awhile back but not now. They did help out alot with dis. reports 3 years ago, though, as they do a computerized muscle testing. <P>I agree about UPMC, I went to one in the practice with STARZ (fibrofog,can't remember the name, but a real #@^^%!!) He basically told me to suck it up, get off the narcotics and go to work, and wrote all of that on the eval., also! He couldn't care less that i really PREFERRED to work rather than live this miserable existence for a lousy pittance of a dis. check (although i would kill for that pittance now!)
    <P>Another doc.(rhuem.) from presby was a sweet little old guy, at least 150yrs old, who put his arm around me and said "Dear, you have fibromyalgia, it won't kill you, so try to get back to work!" At least he was nice as he shoved the stake in my back, disability wise! I would have tried the FFC if i could afford it but it wasn't an option, now i do therapy 1-2Xwk. at Allegheny Med., and see a pain doctor for meds, up north of PGH. <P> Would love to get in touch with others from the area--take care, L