Anyone being treated using Guaifenesin Protocal?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JTyre, Jun 27, 2006.

1. JTyre

JTyre New Member

Any FM suffers out there that have improved by taking Guaifenesin?
    Thanks,
    Jackie from Mt. Holly, NJ
  2. mrsjethro

mrsjethro New Member

I'm currently researching this myself. I believe that Mikie has and Jude works directly with people doing this protocol (I think I got that correct). You can search for their threads in above search, just change the "by" part to username. Also, there are threads on here of some ladies that are currently in about the 4th week, I believe. Search for "Guai Ladies".

There is a lot of first hand experience posted on here and I've been reading a lot of them myself. Good luck. If I decide to follow through with this, then I will also post my experiences with it as well. I posted a thread on "Anyone read What your doctor may not tell you about fibromyalgia" and got some really good and helpful posts on that one too.
    Happy searching.
    ((((hugs))))
    MrsJ
  3. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Hi JTyre,

I started the Guai Protocal after being dxed with fibro for about 4months. The sooner you start the Guai Protocal, the faster you will see results. A few things to note about the GP: 1) You will feel worse before you feel better. It's tough, but the payoff is awesome. 2) You must follow the GP PERFECTLY (or you really aren't following it at all). You MUST AVOID what's called "SALICYLATES" (ie, sals) and mint because the Sals block absorption of the GUAI. When you see the guidelines, you will realize, this isn't easy, but it's possible 3) If you do follow it, the rewards are amazing. I am usually pain free or almost so every day unless I really overdo it.

If you go to www.fibromyalgiatreatment.com, you will see some support groups there that are a wealth of information in helping you decide if you want to start the GP and will be there along the way when you start it and have lots of questions about all of the symptoms you are cycling out.

I had some healthy skepticism as I started the Protocal (especially because it seems like a pretty alternative treatment at first glance), but I asked my docs about it who thought it was worth trying.

BEST OF LUCK. It has made a HUGE DIFFERENCE in my health! I used to have to take hydrocodone to get rid of my pain because it was so intense. I haven't taken one of those pills in over 16 months now, and I've had fibro for 21 months. It's amazing.

All the best,

Erika
  4. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

You can find information in the library here & on the Guaidoc website.

I've been doing the protocol since August, just from the book & with the help of the on-line Guai Group (there's no doctors offering this in my country).I've gone from being almost totally bedbound with severe long term CFS & FMS to being able to do a little housework, laundry & gardening as long as I pace. My progress is slow but steady - I'm still mainly housebound & I've a long way to go still.

It is very important to follow the book to the letter. If you just take Guaifenesin without doing so, you are wasting your money. Do be sure to take a recommended form of Guai, such as the ones sold here - they don't all work.

best wishes
  5. JTyre

JTyre New Member

In your message you said you started taking Guai in August. I guess you mean Aug 05 (10 months?) I am going to order it and get start taking it after July 4th.
    Thank you for your response.
    Jackie
  6. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

Yes, August 05. You'll need to check all your toiletries, make up & dental products etc. for salicylates before taking the Guaifenesin, as they stop it from working because they use the same kidney receptors.

There's a long list of products that you can use on the Guai Group website
  7. JTyre

JTyre New Member

If guai. reverses FM how do you avoid it coming back after going off of it. How much longer do you think it will take before you can stop taking it?
    Jackie
  8. meowee

meowee New Member

I took it, the maximum daily dose, for over a year with no relief. Cost me a bundle, too. I ordered it online.

From what I have read, FM is oversensitive
    nerve cells in the spinal cord and brain.

That dr. that started the Guai protocal seems to believe it is like gout and you can flush it out in your urine?

All I know is to try whatever. You never know what will help you.

Good luck