Anyone better with a Multivitamin?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AC77, Jul 31, 2003.

1. AC77

AC77 New Member

I Have taken MultiVitamins and B-Complex steadly for years and recently, not so steady. I really don't notice anything either way. Does anyone see any help. The only thing I notice is that I may be getting better sleep on the B-Complex? I take the good one from the Health Food Store, not the One a day from the supermarket.

What do you think?

2. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

I don't know that I notice anything either--even when I took the expensive ($30/month) stuff that was 6 pills a day.... But I figure it can't hurt and it may help more than I know, especially since I had a lot of low results in a blood/hair analysis. If I were a nutrition nut, I could probably make sure I got everything I needed from my diet. But there are more important things in life so I'll just try to eat well and take a multi- to help out. (My dad, a retired ob/gyn who got into nutritional stuff for a bit suggested I find a brand where you have to take 2 pills a day. He figures it's awfully hard or impossible to get 100% of everything we need into one pill.)
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

With my B-Complex vitamins. I just take the multi for good measure. My doc told me in my 20's that everyone should take a good multivitamin with minerals because our food and water no longer contain enough. He was such a good doc and waaaaaay ahead of his time. He delivered both my children and really understood women. He also loved women and I think that made all the difference.

Love, Mikie
  4. healing

healing New Member

I think you have to be diligent in buying quality vitamins. Many over the counter brands do not have the vitamin content they say they do -- even reputable brands. I think Prevention Magazine has a link to a recent study on the content of these supplements.
  5. SjVa

SjVa New Member

I've taken multivitamins faithfully for long periods of time and then forgot to take them for equally long periods and didn't notice any difference. The only thing that I did notice was when I started taking magnesium and forgot it for very long - I start getting facial tics. That reminds me to start it again!

Sandy J.
  6. mycatprint

mycatprint New Member

When I started seeing my present dr, I was in really bad shape. Her treatment plan includes a lot of supplements and vitamins, including a good multi. My pain level is about the same as it was then, but I think my general health is better, partly, due to the vitamins. To me, that means I am better able to cope with the pain than I was before I began taking the vitamins.

hugs from Cat
  7. MJJBunny

MJJBunny New Member

My eating habits are so poor that I take a multi vitamin to compensate. I'm a vegetarian so I eat nothing that ever had a mother. However I don't even do a good job of that. Meals are just something to get overwith.

My last blood work showed that I was low in iron so I take that as a supplement too.

I try to make sure I read the vitamin bottle labels to get the best quality, but I think I'll do a little more research to make sure what I take is really the best.
  8. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

Metagenics has one without iron. They're spendy (that was the $30/month where you should take 6 pills a day), but they are without iron; they also come with. (My doc in Portland sold them at-cost for a long time, so they were actually less than $20.)

If you want to try them, you have to get them from a medical practitioner (doc or chiro). You can visit their website and maybe get a name there, or call their 800 number for docs in your area. They will also ship to you, but the doc has to order them. I don't know if you can get single bottles this way, though.
  9. fibrorebel

fibrorebel New Member

I am just starting to look for sublingual multi's as I don't know if they exist. Due to my poor absorbtion I truly don't believe my vits were doing a thing for me. Then I began the sublingual B-12 and wow finally , received some benefit! I know many of us have digestional difficulties and need enzymes etc, not to mention other vits and nutrients, I just wonder how much of it is actually being used by the body, or is able to be utilized by the body. Good post. love, Rebel
  10. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

my doc told me they guarantee their absorbability or something like that. Which could be one reason they're so darned expensive. I have to say even when I was taking them like you're supposed to (6/day) I didn't feel any better, but I wasn't taking digestive enzymes then. And since they are a must, maybe I can get by with a cheaper vitamin.
  11. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I too take a multivitamin and a thing it does help. I`d say I have about 15% more energy when I take it. Its not a hugh amount but enough to help get a few more things done.
    I haven`t noticed a big difference between brands that I`ve tried. Right now I just take ONe-A-Day multivitamin.
  12. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

A number of years ago, I had the same response to a vitamin complex also and then got out the magnifying glass (nope-not kidding) to read all the ingredients, caffeine had been added. You are probably more savy than I to begin with, but thought I would mention it. Fondly, June
  13. klutzo

klutzo New Member

..or I start to lose my energy. I esp. need a lot of B complex to deal with this illness.
    Hard tablet vitamins are not absrobed well. Make sure you get powdered ones in capsules, or that you can mix into water.
    Klutzo