Anyone Bipolar & Have Fibromyalgia Too?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by granmama, Oct 26, 2005.

1. granmama

granmama New Member

My daughter has fibro and "may" be bipolar. She has many symptoms of the illness and is seeing MHMR tomorrow.
    She has taken Lexapro and Xanax,given to her by her primary and neither work for her.
    She is is constant pain, horrible mood swings, and has started isolating herself from others and is paranoid.
    Sometimes, I'm scared of her & for her, she is in her thirties with 2 kids.
    How can I support her during this time prior to a dx?

granmama
  2. emiltim

emiltim New Member

I have FM and bi-polar. The key is finding the right meds. I have been on many different anti-depressants in the last 15 years. Paxil cr seems to work best for me. Everything else made me feel just 'flat', and I didn't care about anything. My neuro just started me on Lamictal to go along with the paxil. I'm willing to try anything at this point.

I am single mom in my 30's with 2 kids also. Just be there for her, and get her out of the house as much as possible. Keep us updated. -Julie
  3. granmama

granmama New Member

In the past 5 years, she has taken Paxil,Serquil,Effexor,Zoloft,Prozac,& currently on Lexapro & Zanax and they all seemed to help in the "very" beginning, but then she crashes and the doctor at MHMR would switch her to something else treating her for depression. They dx'd her with manic depression 5 yrs ago.
    Depression is just a small wave to the storm that is brewing now.
    While she was growing up we had problems with her anger and mood swings. She always had bad periods,PMS. She thinks she has PMDD as well.
    Her kids are ADHD and have a MHMR coordinator and she believes my daughter has bipolar. MHMR will not treat just anxiety, but will depression.They have quit prescribing many medications too. State cutbacks I guess, who knows?

She has suicidal thoughts at times. She wants help and I hope she can get the correct dx and medications she needs.
    I try to help with the kids as much as I can. Getting them out of the house helps and the kids get a break too.
    My daughter can't keep a job long, the stress of dealing with the public is too much for her.
    I don't know what more I can say.
    granmama
  4. Sue50

Sue50 New Member

and my advice would be for your daughter to try and get Social Security disability, When I was working a full time job my stress level and anxiety level were so high my mood swings and anger were totally out of control. Now that I'm on disability I am much better, I don't cry and yell at people any more :) If you have a womans crisis center in your city I would take her there, that's how I found help, I'm taking Seroquel, cymbalta, trazodone and my bipolar is well controlled.
  5. buddylee

buddylee New Member

http://www.lexapro.com/english/understanding_depression/screener.aspx??PlacementGUID=F5DDBC11-5B29-4B72-B838-76B6EC650D4A

its that same test the ask you to fill out at a srinks office.

at one time it said I was bipoler , yet now my score are lighter side of depression.

FM means that you will be sick the rest of your life / I cant think of any better reason to be depressed!

My depression was worts 10 fold before I got on SSI, the uncerty of how are we going to make it looming over my head made me crazy.

I almost took out a 400 lb black man with a pen becuse I was sick of his crap. any he was yelling at me about his TV cable.
  6. granmama

granmama New Member

Well, my daughter saw the first person in a red tape line of people. She believes my daughter is bipolar. The next step is financial, nurse, then the doctor.

We have talked about her trying for SSD because it is SO hard for her to work with people. She tried once before for anxiety and fm, but was denied. She went back to work and the cycle just kept going.

She told me today, she is starting to feel some hope for herself.
    BTW, what specific drugs are prescribed for bipolar? Or does it just depend on each individual?

Thanks to all that have given me their input on this disorder and any others that may come after my post.
    granmama
  7. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

I encourage you to do a search on the net on "fish oil manic depression and Harvard study " . Research has shown fish oil to be a powerful help with bipolar disorder or manic depression . Studies were impressive as far as the effectiveness . It is also helpful in unipolar depression .

The study is not hard to find in a search . Good luck as you are in a difficult place now . Best wishes!