Anyone change careers because of Fibromyalgia ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by elizajane40, Jan 29, 2007.

1. elizajane40

elizajane40 New Member

I currently work in a call center as a supervisor, which is high stress and long hours in a seated position. The center is closing on April 1st. Now is a great time for me to rethink my work life. Have you done it? Do you know of any resources that can help me with this change? If so, Please respond asap !!!! Thank you so much !!!!
  2. jole

jole Member

I was a nurse for years, but with the fatigue, pain etc. couldn't keep up. I then switched careers to become a medical transcriptionist. Lots less pay, but also a lot less stress and still had insurance. After about 4 years though that too became too much and I had to quit work altogether.

Please search for a low stress job that is flexible in its hours if you can. Remember to take care of yourself, and not to keep pushing too hard. That was my biggest fault. I just kept thinking I could continue, when I really should have quit sooner.

It had gotten to the point that I was in bed by 6 p.m. just to make it to work the next day. I didn't have any life at all, and the pain/fog/fatigue just took over to the point that I became a total zombie.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best!
  3. Noelle101

Noelle101 New Member

Hi ElizaJane. I am also thinking about a job change. I work PT as an HR Manager and can't keep up with the day to day tasks and I know I am failing in my duties. I am trying to hold on as long as I can. My doctor wants to "disable" me but I can't afford not to work and I don't have benefits because I am PT.

I am thinking about going back to school for medical coding as I think you can work from home and then you can get up and walk around as needed. I also think being able to have one thing to focus on that you can become an expert at, is better than having a job like yours where you have to take care of many different things.
  4. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

four yrs ago. Like you, I had always worked on the phone and was working as a highschool secretary. I couldnt deal with the pain and the stress anymore. To this day, I cant sit for more than a few min without getting up or changing positions. I had to go on pension disability and there is not one day when I dont miss working. I would give anything to feel important and needed again. Im almost housebound now and I am a people person and that is not a good combination. I will pray that you find a job that works for you. Suzette
  5. Noelle101

Noelle101 New Member

There are also some legitimate work from home opportunities. Here is an article on msn.com about them...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7254610/
  6. jackrorabbit

jackrorabbit New Member

Here in Virginia we have rehab services and with fibro you would qualify for their help in finding you a job that you could do and enjoy. It is part of the state employment agency. That is where I would start. And its free. Depending on your household income, they can even help pay for retraining. Good luck and happy hunting.
  7. fungirl2100

fungirl2100 New Member

I wish! I am tired from the stress & 40 hour work week. I go home & crash, but the money & benefits are pretty good & we cannot afford it.

love-
    fungirl