Anyone dealing with bursitis also?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kriket, Oct 25, 2006.

1. kriket

kriket New Member

I have bursitis in my right shoulder joint and it is in a huge flair right now. Can't hardly move my arm up or around very much. It feels like a horrible catch in the joint and goes all the way up to my neck. It seems to come and go. Anybody have any pointers about bursitis?

Kriket
  2. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I think I might have burisits in my shoulder and it also flares. I have my husband do accupressure and it seems to really help.

I usually just wait for it to pass and take Ultram and Tylenol for the pain. Also, I use the heating pad.

Has your doctor recommended cortisone injections. I have heard they do that for bursitis.
  3. kriket

kriket New Member

Yes- My rheumatologist has mentioned some type of injection into the joint, but I'm not sure what exactly it was. I try to wait and let it pass, usually it will pass in a few days, but it sure hurts till it does!!!

Kriket
  4. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

bumping this back up... Kriket - Is it better?
    I am asking because some had mentioned letting it pass, which I could do (mine is in my knee), however I would still have this huge fluid filled area next to my knee. That stayed last time for months and did not go down until I had the cortisone injections.

I have it again now. Do you all just leave it all swollen like that, or does yours not look all big and fluidy like mine?

Hugs
    Kim
  5. larryh

larryh New Member

Kriket,

It can be called bursitis, tendonitis or just inflammation. What ever it is, I have had it in my right shoulder since I had surgery. I am taking pain meds so I can move it at all. On top of that, I am using ice to help with the inflammation. I am in physical therapy, which seems to be helping some and I have just started acupuncture, which also seems to help, but it is too early to tell for sure.

I do know you have to keep moving the joint as much as possible or it will get worse. That is what happened to me before I got strong enough painkillers so I could move it.

I will let you know how things go if you like.

Larry
  6. balletdancer74

balletdancer74 New Member

Hey,

I have it as well. I actually triggered bursitis in both of my shoulders after years of injecting myself with vitamin/minerals. One day I injected myself about seven months ago, and the "numbness" I usually feel after the injection didn't subside...Than the pain gradually developed month after month to the point where I forgot how bad "acute" pain as opposed to "disease" pain felt.

As a former professional ballet dancer, I had, oddly enough, never had bursitis or tendonitis but knew plenty of ballet dancers who did suffer from it everywhere, so I self-diagnosed and than went to the orthopedic surgeon.

I waited too long, so now, while the bursitis is "strangely" and apparently gone, I still have some sort of "inflammation" according to my orthopedic surgeon. He's very knowledgeable about FM and M.E./CFIDS, so he asked me if I had any new diagnoses, and I told him six weeks ago that I came out positive for Lyme! Hm...

So, I opted not to get the cortisone shot though it seems to help many people with persistant bursitis.

The other treatment is PT and anti-inflammatories. Aleve and Celebrex have done nothing for me, so I'm going to try Daypro (an old drug that used to help me as a dancer for other injuries).

There are plenty of options for you. Heat and ice are also good for temporary relief.

I hope you find the answer and get relief soon. Please update when you can!

Healing hugs,
    LB32 (Leeza)

p.s.
    Do you have trigger points in your shoulders or tender points? Some people get lidocaine shots for trigger points, but it sounds like you have classic bursitis.
  7. balletdancer74

balletdancer74 New Member

8. janie056

janie056 New Member

I too have bursitis, in my elbow. I had to wait almost a year before the clinic would consider giving me a cortisone shot. That one was in 01.
    I finally have real insurance, thank God, and my Rhumy gave me a shot I did not even feel about a year ago and still no pain.
    Other than that I've tried all types of things from ice to rice socks to every rub on medicine I could find. I have a drawer full of the stuff. lol
    Anyway, I do hope you can find something that will help you, bursitis is very painful!

Love and hugs,
    Jane
  9. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Can you take ibuprofen? My daughter gets bursitis in her hips, and while ibuprofen doesn't help all kinds of pain, it seems to work well for bursitis because of its anti-inflammatory properties. She takes 3 Advil or Motrin and it helps, of course not everyone has the kind of stomach that can take it.

Good luck, I hope you feel better soon.

Hugs,
    Pam
  10. kriket

kriket New Member

Since I have posted about my bursitis flareup back in Oct. it has passed. So for now, I am good. I just let it pass again. Usually it will just come on suddenly and stick around for about a week or two, then go away.

When I am giving massages, sometimes it aggrivates it and it will go into a flare. Next time I have a flare with it, I will take the advice that has been shared. Thanks to all of you.

Kriket