Anyone dissolve pain pill under the tongue for faster relief?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lvjesus, Aug 26, 2006.

1. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

HOORAY!! After 3 or 4 days I finally remembered the question I wanted to post!!!!

When anxiety strikes, I dissolve my Xanax under my tongue for fast relief thanks to Mikie's advice. It is a bit bitter, but to me worth the time saved getting relief, since it is almost instantaneous.

I was wondering if anyone had done the same with their pain pill and how bad it tastes versus the relief factor. I started dissolving one the other day, but it was coated so I just swallowed it.

I am thinking I could dissolve it in a teaspoon of water and drink it. Advice is greatly appreciated.

Love and God Bless,
    Sonya
  2. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I don't think you are bossy at all. Any advice is greatly appreciated as you all have helped me more than I can ever say. Thanks for the feedback.

Sonya
  3. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I get the generic of Xanax, and just swallowing it, if it doesn't go down easily, I get a horrid taste in my mouth. I don't know how anyone on earth could put this tablet under their tongue and let it sit. That would be total torture for me.

Only sublinguals do I let disolve under my tongue. Unless the med is meant for that, I swallow it.

Yes, it can take 30 minutes or so before one gets relief.

Girl, my hat is off to you for being able to hold that Xanax under your tongue.

I don't even like chewing the Tums up for calcium. lol They only come in orange because I have to get sugar free due to diabetes.

Love & hugs,
    Faye
  4. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Sonya:

An idea: why not call the pharmacist and ask which meds work better or faster under the tongue? They put so many labels on the meds they should know what is best.

Just a suggestion...

nyrofan
  5. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

Faye, you make me laugh! Thanks to you both for the input. Good idea, Nyrofan about the pharmacist.

Sonya
  6. victoria

victoria New Member

I give Xanax and melatonin to my senile MIL so she can sleep at night. (we also have to use it sometimes during the day for agitation).

Since she has a hard time swallowing often, I dissolve the Xanax in a shotglass of water and then sweeten it with splenda, since it instantly dissolves. The xanax also totally and instantly dissolves if you crush it with a spoon.

She loves it, and this way that tiny pill doesn't get lost in her mouth (I've had her inadvertently l'ose' it in the water trying to swallow and find it in the bottom of the cup!) --

and at the end of the 15 minutes it takes to get her ready for bed, she's starting to yawn, and sleeps well.

hope this helps,
    Victoria

7. granny1353

granny1353 New Member

ask a pharmacist is the pill can be crushed, cause sometimes they say do not crush, then buy a pill crusher and crush it and put in applesause and take. We have to do this some of my mom's pills and the crusher does it to a fine powder. PLEASE check first if pill can be crushed.

Granny
  8. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

dissolve my clonazapam under my tongue, thanks fo Mikies advice as well. It doesn't even taste bad!
  9. victoria

victoria New Member

our doctor said no problem... and sweet liquid works well for my MIL, better than food actually.

all the best,
    Victoria

10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I have never dissolved a whole pill under my tongue but I do put small pieces of Klonopin under my tongue. I haven't had to do that for a long time as I only do that when I need instant relief from anxiety or sensory overload, usually when I'm out. My anxiety and sensitivity are waaaaaaay down these days. I've either been sick with a bug or the mycoplasmas tried to reactivate. In any case, I've been running a temp for a couple of days and feeling lousy. Today, I'm Herxing and tonight, I feel better. Even feeling like this, I am having no anxiety nor sensory overload. Either I'm getting better or I've just been on the Klonopin so long that it is working better. I do know that the longer one is on it, the better it works.

In the case of pain pills, one has to be very careful not to crush time release pills. It puts too much drug into the system all at once and can produce an OD.

I think we should always check with the docs and pharmacists before taking our meds in any way other than that prescribed. Both my doc and pharmacists said dissolving small pieces of the Klonopin was safe and an effective way to get the drug into my system quickly when needed.

Love, Mikie
  11. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

Mikie, I love you and so respect your wisdom and sensible advice at all times. Thank you for sharing your knowledge with all of us so unselfishly. You are a godsend to us.

Love and blessings,
    Sonya
  12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You are such a sweet, loving person and I appreciate your kindness. I love you and all our members here and that is why I have always signed my posts:

Love, Mikie

PS: I'm always happy to be of help when I can.
  13. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Just wanted to say hi and glad you are here. Have you heard how Shirl is doing these days?

14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Shirl has posted on the Worship Board to ask for our prayers. I don't know whether her post is still bumped or not. I'll go check on it.

She doesn't get online very often, so I don't hear from her as much as I would like. I know that her health has suffered ever since Katrina and she doesn't have much stamina. I keep her in my prayers as I do all of us.

Thanks for asking about her. I'll tell her when I do talk to her.

Love, Mikie
  15. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

If the pill has a coating on it, I personally would not dissolve it. It can cause the full effect of the med to be released all at once instead of over a period of many hours.

It can cause an overdose. Check with your pharmasist before you do this.

I know that since my lapband surgery, I am not supposed to swallow anything bigger than an M&M. So with my Vicodin ES, which are like horse pills, I score then and then chew then into smaller bits with my front teeth so I dont have to taste them. I do not dissolve them though.

Hope this helps you!
    Hugs,
    Stephanie
  16. willruthie1965

willruthie1965 New Member

I agree with Sonya For the time or two when You are in that kind of pain I could see doing it. If I had a choise between axiety attack or not being bale to move I might would try it once or twice.ANything is better than feeling that way,

Caution when it is time released because that is a different story completely. To be on safe side ask doctor if it is ok to do occasionally Ruthie