anyone do an intestinal permeability test for leaky gut?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by Catseye, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Catseye

Catseye New Member

I was wondering if anyone has ever done an intestinal permeability test to check the integrity of their intestinal lining, specifically to check for leaky gut syndrome. It's not an easy thing to fix and I want to test for it before I go after it since the treatment is lengthy and not fun. This is from Genova diagnostics:

"The small intestine has the paradoxical dual function of being a digestive/ absorptive organ for nutrients as well as a powerful barrier against the excessive absorption of bacteria, food antigens and large molecules. Increased permeability of the intestinal mucosal barrier can swell the number of toxins & antigens entering the bloodstream and lead to an overly sensitized immune system in some individuals. Decreased permeability, on the other hand, appears as a fundamental cause of malnutrition, malabsorption and failure to thrive. A number of clinical disorders are associated with both conditions.

Intestinal Permeability GraphicThe Intestinal Permeability Assessment directly measures the ability of two nonmetabolized sugar molecules -mannitol and lactulose-to permeate the intestinal mucosa. Mannitol is easily absorbed and serves as a marker of transcellular uptake, while lactulose is only slightly absorbed and serves as a marker for mucosal integrity. To perform the test, the patient mixes premeasured amounts of lactulose and mannitol and drinks the challenge substance. The test measures the amount of lactulose and mannitol recovered in a urine sample over the next 6 hours."

I'd like to know if anyone did it, results, what you did about it, etc.

thanks

karen
  2. dononagin

dononagin New Member

Bump for answers : )
  3. Catseye

Catseye New Member

4. Gnomie

Gnomie New Member

HI Karen,
    yes I have done this test, I drank the manitol and lactulose and had a urine test. It came back positive for leaky gut. Because I've had many bowel related tests I'm a bit vague as to which treatments specifically related to that test. But the overall treatment that my doctor gave me was probiotics, a powdered formula for gut repair with: glutamine, aloe vera, slippery elm, n-acetl-d glucosamine and apple pectin in it, herbs for liver cleansing, magnesium and b vitamins. This was also the time I found out my food intolerances and began avoiding those foods.

The main symtoms I had from leaky gut were gut wrenching nausea and weight loss and both of these improved after about 6 months of treatment - Not completely resolved but much improved. (i didn't notice any real difference for about three months).

I've read some of your posts and given your thoroughness in research I'm wondering if you haven't already tried most of these treatments? Anyway, good luck with it.
  5. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

i had a gut permeability test from genova diagnostics. i did it through dr. leo galland, a gut expert. it was negative.
  6. ephemera

ephemera New Member

bumping for leaky gut
  7. Catseye

Catseye New Member

I do or did some of those things: aloe, glutamine and liver cleanse herbs. I have a bottle of NAG (glucosamine) but I've never used it. Guess I'll break it out. But I wasn't dealing with diet the right way so these things would have been good if I was just doing maintenance, but I should have really been trying to fix it. So that's what I'm going to do now. From what I can tell, juicing is the way to go. And I will add the NAG, glutamine and aloe. I've never used slippery elm or apple pectin, I'll take a loot at those. Thanks!

And thanks, ladybugmandy, I do want to go with Genova.

karen
  8. Febricula

Febricula New Member

I did the test about 2 years ago. Came back negative. Maybe it would be different now ... I do know that I don't seem to get much nutrition from food and I don't digest things well, but I am starting on betaine, enzymes, and probiotics and I hope that will help.

-febricula