anyone do exercise bike?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by daylilyfan, Sep 27, 2005.

1. daylilyfan

daylilyfan New Member

ok, they say exercise. Dr. says walk, swim or water exercise, or bike. I live 25 miles from a pool. Won't drive 50 miles round trip. Can't go walking due to old fractures in foot. So says go biking. I live in the country. Same 25 miles to drive to a bike path, to dangerous on our roads to bike. Narrow half gravel half paved roads up and down hills and curves - and idiots drive 80 mph.

Was looking at nordictrack recumbant bikes - around $500. A long time ago I tried a regular nordic trac - LOL - was not coordinated to do the ski-thing, kept falling off the back LOL!!

Anyway, when I lived near a bike path 20 years ago, I enjoyed it. Figured this recumbant thing would be easier on my sore shoulders and back.

Anyone do this and find it tolerable?
  2. Juloo

Juloo Member

...stepping around my treadmill to get into the bathroom.

Sigh. I KNOW I need to get on it for it to do me any good, though.

I like the treadmill because I can do it indoors in the air conditioning (I'm very sensitive to heat and sunlight -- Florida has a bunch of both). But I love being outdoors in the late fall, winter, and early spring.

I used to love bike riding as a kid...especially because I grew up in a rather flat part of the country, so didn't have to struggle w/hills.

If my ankles were better, I'd take up roller skating again! I like swimming as well, but have trouble dealing with the effects of cooler water this year.
  3. Yucca13

Yucca13 Member

I've done 10 minutes each time I went to physical therapy on the recumbant bike lately. I don't feel that it is stressful to my back in any way but gets my heartbeat up. My doctor wants me to break a sweat but not walk on the treadmill for now because it is too jarring. I saw a bike advertised at Kk-Mart for $99 and thought I might check it out. I like the back support that these type of bikes provide.

I live in a high desert and it is either too hot, too windy, or too cold most of the time to make regular biking enjoyable. If anyone has any information about a particular brand of bike, please post and tell us about it.
    Thanks,
    Val
  4. daylilyfan

daylilyfan New Member

maybe more people will respond

Yes, it is the indoor part that attracts me about this too. As I say, it is to dangerous to ride on the roads where I live. I have asthma and it would be far better for me to do inside in controlled conditions.

My Mother has a regular indoor bike in the basement that she got after she "got her new knees" and had to do a stationary bike. It is very upright, and down right uncomfortable. I cannot see me doing it.

I had the other piece of nordictrack equipment and was impressed with the customer service and the quality. If you go to their website, click on bikes, I was thinking of the SL 728, which is on sale for $499. I am a "Rubenesque Woman" as one of my better friends recently put it.... I'm about 75 lbs overweight. (don't you just love that "Rubenesque?") So I want something good and sturdy. Plus I am short, and their equipment is usually easy to adjust for very "vertically challenged" people.

Anyone else a vertically challenged Rubenesque person out there? LOLOLOL
  5. DesertSnow

DesertSnow New Member

I love bike riding! I'd also recommend lifting weights. 3 or 5 lb dumbells.

~Katie
  6. cbs1234

cbs1234 New Member

I have found that biking is the only exercise I can handle due to the full body pain. I used to run, tennis, golf, ski, etc prior to my problems beginning 4 years ago. I couldn't give up the exercise totally. So, no matter how tired or how much pain I am in, I bike (usually the recumbent bike) at least 4 times per week.

I started at a very low setting and did 5 or 10 minutes each session. Gradually worked my way up to 30 to 45 minutes at a relatively strenous pace. It is doable because it is low impact and a very steady (versus fast twitch) motion. Definitely give it a try. I truly believe it helps me.
  7. chp1298

chp1298 New Member

The only exercise I can do is recumebnt biking and it doesnt cause me any additional pain. To increase my workout I use light weights and keep my arms moving the whole time ,my heartrate goes up pretty good. I used to do aerobics but since the knee replacement and other probs I cant do anythign but biking and not suffer from it. My doc says it is good.
  8. daylilyfan

daylilyfan New Member

for the replies!

I hope to go look at them soon...... There is a Nordic store near me.

What brands do you have/use?

9. Christinawensell

Christinawensell New Member

juloo- that had me cracking up,

daylilyfan- I bought a doughboy pool (about 5 foot) and I lift weights in it and do kicking exercises etc. I did have a bike but I was like juloo and did nto use it so I gave ti to my mom.

Here to exercising our way to good health.

I live in Arizona though so it might not be the thing for you where you live,

Christina
  10. daylilyfan

daylilyfan New Member

for the other woman asking about biking