Anyone drawing unemployment while filing for SSDI

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fieldmouse, Oct 5, 2006.

1. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

I am wondering if anyone have done this. I talked to a couple law firms and they both told me it would hurt my case. Anyone know about this?? Mick!!
  2. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

3. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

The attorney told me that to draw unemployment I have to be able and willing to look for work....What are we suppose to do while we wait to see if we will even be approved for SSDI. This is so frustrating. My husband is so upset that I can't get unemployment. He thought we would have that for at least a few months while we waited. When I told him I can't even apply for it without screwing up my SSDI he got so upset. He is a great guy and very understanding but he is scared to death too..just like me. I just don 't know what to do or even think at this point....Mick!!....Sorry to be whiney!!
  4. Dainty45

Dainty45 New Member

You can apply for TDI and collect that while waiting for SSDI, just talk to your doctor. With unemployment you have to be available for work and looking for a job.

Good Luck!! SB
  5. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

what is TDI?
  6. monicaz49

monicaz49 New Member

shit. im on unemployment and sick. :( i guess im gonna have problems.
  7. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

have you filed for ssdi yet....i just don't get all this....they want us to starve and lose everything....then maybe they will help....sorry just frustrated...mick
  8. Cindyvr

Cindyvr New Member

I push myself everyday to go to work . My family thinks I should apply for SSDI but we would loose everything wile waiting. I mean right now we live week to week. Thats with both of us working what would we do if I wasn't? We have been in that situation before and had to have the church pay some of our bills and give us groceries. That has happened a few times now..Very humbling. I don't know what to do but just keep pushing myself which makes it worse which puts me in bed which makes the bills behind and no food in the cupboards to push myself to go back to work to make it worse...Never ending cycle but the getting better to get back to work is getting harder each time!!! What can a person do? Cindy
  9. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

10. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

Yes, it seems like a viscious cycle. My hubby and I went round and round about this for the past few years. Finally I threw in the towel, and applied for SSDI. We decided it would even be worth it to take out loans if we have to before I get approved (we're ready with a disability lawyer if I don't get approved).

If you do get approved, you get to stay home in bed where you belong, and you get some monetary compensation. So, in the long run, it's worth it.

I have been approved for state disab. (because I was a teacher), and am now waiting to hear from SSDI. The problem is, I have to go through a 5 month waiting period before I receive any money from the state disab, so we're broke for the next few months.

It's so nice to have my bed nearby when I need it. I used to panic when I got sick at work! Now I can relax.
    Hang in there, but don't work if you're sick!!
    Mini
  11. Amslave

Amslave New Member

I have app;ied and been denied Disability and have hired an attorney. 70% of applications are turned down the first time. I haven't worked in a year...pain and no sleep... but if you apply for unemployment you are saying you can work, You can not do it or you will never see a dime. Also upon being denied make sure you appeal you original application ( Do Not reapply) so they have to retro you from original application date.
  12. mrdad

mrdad New Member

I'm to the South of you in the "Golden State" with Arnold.
    Are you eligible for State Disability in Ore.? Have you
    applied? I collected it in Ca. through the contribution
    at work before I became ill.

MRDAD
  13. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Tp apply for Unemployment, you have to be in good health, meaning able to work 40 hours a week. If you apply for SSDI you are sick. If SSA office knows you collect UI they assume you are able to work 40 hours a week since that is what you agree when you accept UI payments.

The reality for me and maybe others is that there is no money coming in. Even worse, if you have a doc still trying to diagnose you and have no medical evidence-this doc may not give you an excuse to DSHS cash assistance from work activities. This is my case. I can't get UI, state cash assistance, and what I had was child support which is not coming in.

So this is a sour apple to bite. This is how America works.

I hope you find a way! Many hugs!
    [This Message was Edited on 10/07/2006]
  14. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

I am in the process of filing for SSDI but I don't know anything about state disibility. Do you have any ideas on how I can find out about it?...thanks...Mick!!
  15. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

Only a few states even do that. Of course, Oregon isn't one of them. you are one of the lucky ones. I think there was only five states listed. Thanks for the help tho. I am glad I checked into it. Could have been my lucky day...lol....maybe your advice will help someone in another state....at least I hope it does....maybe they will share with us unlucky ines...LOL.....Thanks agsin...Mick!!