Anyone drink alot of caffeine, soda drinks?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sunshyne1027, Oct 22, 2002.

1. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

I have kept reading,when researching diet for Fibro patients.. about avoiding caffiene loaded drinks, sugar loaded ones. I have decided to quit drinking them, cold turkey. Been a couple days now. I had this craving like tremendous one,for them though. I think these drinks, like pepsi,coke..etc. Are just as addicting as smoking cigerettes. Has anyone else noticed a improvement on symptoms, once stopping drinking these sort of drinks? I have been told by a few also, weight can drop a little, if overwieght, and to drink more water.

I do drink coffee in the mornings, and like it with sugar and cream. I am thinking of qitting that too. Drink more juice. Then I like iced tea.. Man.. alot of bad habits to quit.I am taking them one at a time.

Next after getting this under control some. I am going to try my best on quitting smoking. Yeah, I am a smoker, wish I never took it up.

2. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

I have kept reading,when researching diet for Fibro patients.. about avoiding caffiene loaded drinks, sugar loaded ones. I have decided to quit drinking them, cold turkey. Been a couple days now. I had this craving like tremendous one,for them though. I think these drinks, like pepsi,coke..etc. Are just as addicting as smoking cigerettes. Has anyone else noticed a improvement on symptoms, once stopping drinking these sort of drinks? I have been told by a few also, weight can drop a little, if overwieght, and to drink more water.

I do drink coffee in the mornings, and like it with sugar and cream. I am thinking of qitting that too. Drink more juice. Then I like iced tea.. Man.. alot of bad habits to quit.I am taking them one at a time.

Next after getting this under control some. I am going to try my best on quitting smoking. Yeah, I am a smoker, wish I never took it up.

3. Fairyeyes

Fairyeyes New Member

I do not drink sodas, or even much processed juice. I do have to have my 2 cups of strongly brewed tea each morning. I also do 1-2 cups of green tea/day. I've given up a lot already, and don't think I am drinking enough caffeine to kill me.

without my tea in the morning, it takes me much too long to get moving.
  4. stillafreemind

stillafreemind New Member

I drink coffe all day long and I do smoke also. Yes..I am sure it does not help me physically..BUT, mentally it keeps me together. The stress of quitting them would probably throw me into a worse flare!<G>

Good luck on your quitting adventures..more power to ya I say!
  5. pamela

pamela New Member

I STARTED WAKING UP WITH ALL KINDS OF PAIN AND HEADACHES AND INCREDIBLE FATIGUE. WIERD JUST ALL OF A SUDDEN. THEY SAY THAT THE CAFFEINE AND SUGARS LIKE FRUCTOSE AND GLUCOSE AND LACTOSE ARE REALLY SYMPTOM INDUCING AND THEY ARE RIGHT...AT LEAST FOR ME ANYWAY. I CAN ONLY DRINK WATER. WATER AND MORE WATER EVERYDAY ONLY. IT BITES AND YES IT WAS INCREDIBLY HARD TO GIVE UP. THEY ARE VERY ADDICTING...MY FAVORITE EVERY A.M. WAS COCA-COLA. IT REALLY MADE ME FEEL ALIVE AND AWAKE. I'M SLOWLY ADJUSTING MY DIET TO SOME SUGAR BUT I'M STILL AFRAID OF THE COKES. MAYBE ONE DAY I'LL TRY ONE AGAIN JUST TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS. BUT I TELL YOU THAT PAIN I WENT THROUGH WAS ENOUGH FOR ME TO STOP COLD TURKEY. I IMMEDIATELY FELT 10 TIMES BETTER!!!
    PAMELA
  6. marinemom

marinemom New Member

Does having an intraveinous line to the coffee pot count as too much? =)

I also drink a lot of iced tea. I'm like the rest. Without those and my ciggs, I'd be crazier than I am now.

Just my 2 cents worth.
    Kathy
  7. lazygrant

lazygrant New Member

to much caffeine for me really makes me feel like crap. headaches irrat bowel syn flares up. anxious, especially around that time of month. i like my coffee, i keep it to a minimum, i love my tea in the p.m. i stick to green tea, and keep that at a minimum. i try to avoid cokes, the lift from the caffeine isn't worth it, cuz then when i drop, i really drop. i also believe each person is different though. how's that? not much help huh?
  8. imalive

imalive New Member

Hi sunshyne and everyone else who responded. Acoulpe of years ago I quite the soda and coffee the first two weeks strait I had a head ache that would not go away I assume thats the withdraul I do have to addmit after those two weeks It did seem better cause before when I was drinking all that caffeine if I didnt get enough I would get a headache now I can take it or leave it as far as the other pain I have not noticed any change. The waight does seem alot more manageable and I have lost alot in the first year after cutting the caffein.
  9. roro

roro New Member

And ALL starches. I cut out flour, potatoes, grains (including rice, oats, wheat) I eat a very low-carb diet, consisting of about 40-60 grams of carbs a day. I eat a lot of vegetables, meats, eggs, limited fruit and dairy. I had to eliminate all starches to detox from the sugar. Anything high in carbs will spike blood sugar, and give you the reaction like sugar. Trying to give up sugar without giving up starchy carbs would be like an alcoholic trying to give up liquor, but taking cough medicine and stuff. You have to completely abstain to get rid of the cravings.
    I have not been able to give up coffee tho. I drink 1-2 cups a day, and 1-2 cups of tea. I have no energy without it. I know its bad, my adrenals are shot, but I cant take the cortisone, so I dont knwo what else to do.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/23/2002]
  10. sybil

sybil New Member

i like still mineral water.
    i treat myself to one cup of coffee a week,a small cup with a tiny bit of milk.i have caffine free herbal teas and decaff earl grey tea and 2 glasses of wine at weekend.
    i'm not cutting out all the things i enjoy in life.
    i don't eat chocolate,or junk food.i keep dairy and fats to a minimum,i eat a well balanced semi vegetarian diet,i do eat fish,but i rarely eat bread and only wholemeal.i eat bown rice and occasionally pasta.most of my nutrients come from,nuts,seeds,pulses and fruit and veg,

sybilxxx
  11. karen55

karen55 New Member

to 2 cups of coffee each day, no sugar, just skim milk in it. I rarely drink carbonated drinks, and I drink water all day long. Sometimes I drink de-caffed green tea, when I can find it, I try to be careful about the caffeine because of the MVP.
  12. Vamp

Vamp New Member

Well, I tell you what. I quite caffiene for 8 years like they said.....I did not feel one bit better - so hate to say and must cut back, but am back on it worse than ever. Seems to be only thing that helps jump start the body and mind....Smoking too - terrible habit - had it for years - quit for 1 year in the beginning of this illness....did not feel one bit better...NOT advising either of these bad habits to anyone. Just my own personal experience.
    Vamp
  13. kay

kay New Member

I have all the bad habits also. I have a couple cups of coffee with honey and cream in the morning, with a good ole cig or two!! I drink ice tea (alot) in the summer, no sugar. I am a pepsi hollic, also. Wellll 1 a day. I get the 6 pk. in plastic bottles so I can cap and drink it threw out the day! So 1 a day is it. I love to freeze it so it is slushie ha! I am trying to drink more lemon water now, and have been doing better. I did the low carb thing for 8 months and I felt WONDERFUL. I want to do it again. Once you go off it its hard to get back on it. The carb craving is terrible. Well I am going to puff now. (outside) Toodles Linda
  14. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

Thanks for replying, alot of great input!
    I have felt really fatigued the last two days, sleeping alot. Maybe its from cutting out the caffiene, also a few headaches, but not too bad either. I think I will benifit great from this. I still havent given up the morning coffee though. It is like a jump start. I get up early to get my kids off to school. They are things I enjoy, and I hate to take the enjoyment away, but if its to better my health, then its worth it. Trying to find now other things to enjoy, I like to read alot, sew sometimes.
  15. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

keep Kathryn sane, & family safe. I am not fit to live with unless I have my 2 - 3 cups of black coffee in the morning. I usually will also drink 1 - 2 cans of regular Pepsi in the afternoon & evening. Sometimes I will substitute 7Up or fruit juice for the Pepsi, but it seems to quench my thirst the best. You don't even want to TRY suggesting that I give up cigarettes!!!
    Kathryn
  16. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

I dont know, maybe its I am ready, at the point to try and give these things up, and find better ways to cope, and stuff. Believe me, just a few weeks ago, I said heck no, no way can I!

I just keep reading, getting more self confidence up, and it seems to be working so far. I may slip, I may go back to it all, but giving it my best shot.

I have found drinking more water,I am having less irritable bladder probs. The first few days of giving the sugar, caffeine sodas up, I craved like crazy. I have been having fatigue alot too, but I believe it will pass, once my body adjustes.

Maybe others too, when ready to, will give the pop up. Its so loaded with unneccassary ingredients. Just caffiene, with sugar. I am not a saint, LOL. Just looking for support, and others views.

17. Cheechee

Cheechee New Member

I find my self drinking more and more coffee. I keep hoping it will give me more energy but I don't notice any. Its getting colder here in the north land and I look forward to the coffee but for the most part I don't drink it much in the afternoon, I have enough problems sleeping and I don't that caffeine keeping me awake. I can't say it has helped me any but I don't really feel its hurt me either.
  18. sofy

sofy New Member

I never liked soda, tastes like syrup and makes me thirsty. Hadnt had any coffee or tea in over 10 years when I fell asleep and couldn't wake up. I now drink lots of coffee and tea just to keep in an upright position for part of the day. Tried all the scrip stimulants and none of them worked for me except ritalin and then only for 10 days. I was awake but couldn't make a flight of stairs without stopping 3 times. The cure was just as bad as the kill. I'm now just on caffein. It doesn't do anything to get the brain in gear.
  19. Wingingit

Wingingit New Member

I probably drank 5-6 cups a day on average.
    As of last week, I have had only decaf and maybe 2 a day.
    (hard to turn down those "Tim Horton's" when hubby offers to buy me one...but I do)
    I have also cut out the "bad carbs" almost completely because my Tryglicerides went sky high and I think it is due to carbohydrate intolerance...something to argue with my GP about next week since he's of the old medical school that still maintains that fat reduction is the key.
    Keeping in mind that my diet has always been very low infat.
    I have been getting some whopping headaches everyday, but I chalk this up to caffeine withdrawl.
    Already my IBS symptems are improving.
    My Trps ar still flaring and I am always weak, but hoping that too will improve in time...
    I think this Holistic viewpoint makes sense and I may be dumping my egg-headed doc sooner than I thought.
    Good luck to those going through the caffeine detox.
    The smokes are next...If Tribunal for disability goes thorugh in Dec. I have decided I will celebrate with my last cigarette that day. I will never be able to doit before the Tribunal...way too much stress.
    Good luck to all
    Nan
    p.s. Baby steps...
  20. kadywill

kadywill New Member

I've never even tasted coffee and I am 47 years old!! I just never had the desire to. But I drank sugar-free soft drinks for years and years and years. I stopped all caffeine and artificial sweeteners about a month ago and I ONLY drink water now. I buy my water at Wal*Mart.....our tap water is not fit for consumption! I've read lots and lots about different ideas about different brands/types of water and I feel good about my choices so far! I had no trouble getting rid of the caffeine and I feel MUCH better without the Nutrasweet POISON!! NOW, if I can just stop my real enemy: SUGAR and CARBS!!! This is my TRUE addiction!!
    Love,
    Kady