Anyone driving

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lyricraine, Oct 20, 2008.

1. lyricraine

lyricraine New Member

I just wan to see if there maybe some others out there that have a difficult time driving. First of all, I have night blindness, my reflexs' have slowed down a bunch, and I have a paranoid feeling, scared, out on the road period! Plz Tell me I'm not the only one

Thanks
    Kristy...Lyricraine
  2. neldwn2me

neldwn2me New Member

I to have changes in my eyesight as well as my moter skills.
  3. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I have glasses that are made to reduce glare and this has helped my night vision.

However, when I know it is going to be "one of those days", or am feeling especially stressed, I do not drive, period. Sometimes I have to rely on other's to do my errands.

You are not the only one who gets these feelings.

It can be very frustrating when I can't drive but I do not want to hurt myself or anyone else when on the road.

I try to have backup plans for when I am not up to driving.

I have a half sister and nephew, only three years old, who were killed by an impaired motorist, so this issue strikes close to my heart.

You do not have to be drunk to be a danger on the road.

Take care.
    ga
    [This Message was Edited on 10/21/2008]
  4. ironspine

ironspine New Member

I have the same problem. I am jumpy at grass that's waving in the wind on the side of the road (I think it's an animal ready to run across the road)-I startle easily! I take Lyrica which makes me spacier, so I feel like I'm in outerspace half the time. I don't drive long distances. I am a very defensive driver anyway, so I probably go slower at intersections, etc.
    I don't drive at night, the road looks like a tunnel. I'd have to focus on whether I'm in my lane or not!
  5. 3gs

3gs New Member

I HAVE STARTED TO NOTICE MORE THAT MY REFLEXES ARE SLOW.

IT THE BRAINFOG THING WHERE YOU KNOW SOMETHING BUT IT TAKES A WHILE TO COMPUTE.

I WAS TWO BLOCKS FROM MY HOUSE AND TOLD MY SELF TO SLOW DOWN. COP PUT HIS LIGHT TO PULL ME OVER PUT IT TOOK ME A FEW MINS FOR IT TO REGISTER EVEN THO I KNEW HE WAS THERE.

I GOT A TICKET FOR 5 MILES OVER COST $82.00!!!!!!!!!!!

ALSO GET CONFUSED ON DIRECTIONS

IT REALLY BITES
  6. irox

irox New Member

hi lyricraine,
    I don't drive much. Lately my pain meds have increased monthly. Sometimes I feel as though I could drive and I do. MY boyfriend drives me mostly though. I get rides from friends too. The closet starbucks is about 4 blocks away. Thats the only place I drive to. I had to stop Physical Therapy because my pain meds got so high that it was jsut too hard and too dangerous. One time I went to go to a store about 2 miles from me and before I pulled in the parking lot, the pain hit. I had to call a friend to come get and my car spent the day in the parking lot till my BF could go get it. I have a standard and it's too hard to drive, my arm and and starts hurting so bad!!! Well this reply is all over the place. Don't really drive.
  7. lonna1

lonna1 New Member

I am still driving all over the place. I am 74 but with the right glasses and my GPS to guide me I'm still independent. I keep my brain sharp by doing crossword puzzles and using the computer every day sometimes for hours.
  8. kbak

kbak Member

Hi Kristy,
    I'm driving, but I live in a tiny town so I don't have to go more than a mile to get anywhere. My big problem is having to go 80 mi. to the next largest city to do my doctoring. Driving 160 mi round trip is a nightmare! I hurt soooo bad anytime I have to do that. I rarely drive at nite because my nite vision is terrible. Even driving to my docs in another town isn't hard on my reflexes because I'm out in rural America and there's no traffic so it's not so bad. I couldn't take driving in a big city.

Take care,
    kbak
  9. SkeptikSharon

SkeptikSharon New Member

Hi Kristy,

My driving habits have definitely changed. I definitely feel uncomfortable driving at night, because the lights from the other cars bother my eyes a lot, so I just don't do it. I let my husband drive at night.

During the day, if its a short distance, then I can manage it, but I also get that paranoid/scared feeling being out on the road. I don't like it though. If the doctors appointments are nearby, I can usually/sometimes drive myself, though a lot of times, the fatigue itself is too much and I just can't make myself do it. If my appointments are farther away and involve the freeway, I have my husband take off work to take me or ask my father-in-law to drive me. I just don't feel comfortable driving that fast and not being sure if I can focus well enough. Plus, the farther distances are hard anyway and makes me hurt more just to sit in the car, but my car is also manual, so if I'm driving, that's extra strain and pain on my back.

I hate depending on other people for things like that though. It makes me crazy to have to ask for help from anyone. I've always been very independent and always told myself that I would never allow myself to be in a position where I had to depend on other people. Now I'm there.

Sharon
  10. meowee

meowee New Member

I have just about quit driving. I hate it, too. I only drive if it is absolutely necessary. I have had 2 fender benders in the past year, after 34 years of driving accident free.

I now depend on others to take me to the doctors.
  11. doggymommy

doggymommy New Member

I don't drive anymore. I can't concentrate well enough and my reflexes are way too slow. I end up just staring at the lines in the road as they go by. Not very safe. Someone mentioned the feeling of knowing something but it taking forever to compute... that is an excellent way to explain it! I definitely know that feeling all to well! I can't read either for the same reasons... I just can't focus or concentrate or remember what I've read long enough to comprehend the next sentence! SO FRUSTRATING! I used to be a full time student... I was going to be a veterinarian... which is of course impossible without being able to drive or read.

Anyway... no you're not alone... I can't drive either.
  12. Larac.

Larac. New Member

I have narcolespy---I fall asleep without knowing I am doing it---I was driving to see rheum-did not know I was sleeping until I woke up a toll both for Norristown, pa---couple miles from where I was to exit---I was so upset---Now I take a stimulant to keep me awake during the day--Ritilan sr---or adderall xr....