Anyone dxed with CARPAL TUNNEL SYNDROME?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by zenouchy, Apr 28, 2006.

1. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Hello!

Thanks for reading this. I know numbness can be a normal part of fibromyalgia, but I haven't had it in a long time until just a week ago when I experienced PARTIAL numbness/tingling in my left arm/hand and left leg/foot.

I have been on the Guaifenesin Protocal and have been lucky to be mostly pain-free and numb-free for a long time. My neurologist thinks I might have carpal tunnel syndrome. I just had an MRI of my brain this am to rule out other things. I'm wondering if the numbness is just a part of the fibromyalgia, but I know carpal tunnel has to be ruled out. He also wants to rule out nerve damage, so I may have to do an EMG (electromyography) test.

Fibromyalgia is SO confusing because so many of its symptoms mimic so other things. I'm tired of feeling like a lab rat. I guess I want to see if anyone else went through the same thing I'm going through now. Thanks much!

All the best,

Erika
  2. srh

srh New Member

Numbness & tingling can be part of FM.
    Carpal tunnel can be dix with the nerve test. I have had ct surgery.

It was done by laser and was back at work in a day maybe 2, don't remember for sure.

Until you have the tests done or surgery, you could try the wrist braces you buy at discount or rx stores.
    My sis has been doing that for 3-4 years and still gets along fine as long as she wears them to bed.

But myself, 2 sisters and a brother have all had the surgery.

good luck.
  3. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

dx can be done by a nerve conduction test, but i have a hand specailist that saud ge doesn't not sole relay in that only...

jodie
  4. leubie

leubie New Member

hey ---yes i have carpal tunnel-----along w/ fibro and everything else---------yes i am going through everything you are now-----had the emg-------also another test????nerve conducter?????cant really remember------------plus x-rays----------anywhooooo----i hope you are feeling better soon-------my neuro wants me to have the carpal tunnel surgey--------but first i had dental work that has turned horrible into sinus surgery--------take care and feel better----they say the carpal tunnel surgery is fairly easy---------but who knows w/ fibro!!!!!!LOVE TO ALL --------LAURA
  5. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Thanks for the info and advice. I forgot to mention that my doc advised me to wear the splint/bandage at nite, but it was too uncomfortable to sleep with!! I called their office and said I could wear it during the day, but they were concerned that the muscle would weaken. They advised not wearing it all, and would wait to see how my MRI turned out.

Since we caught the Carpal Tunnel so early, surgery seems pretty drastic at this point. Physical Therapy may do the trick- at least I hope so. Hope you all feel well, and thank again!!

All the best, Erika
  6. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

This is interesting to me as my heart doc just mentioned she thinks I have carpal tunnel as I get numb left neck, upper shoulder, down left arm, hand, some pain in part of the hand and tingley fingers. I also get numbness in the left side of my face. Not absolute numbness but like novacaine wore off.

I was trying to figure out how carpal tunnel would affect my whole upper side, as I get it a bit in the rib sometimes too.

I would love imput from others who have this as well.

Love Anne C
  7. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

There's some good info about carpal tunnel on mayoclinic.com. The carpal tunnel nerves are pretty big, so it's interesting (and annoying!) how the nerve at the wrist can the entire arm and even "shoot up" to the face. The reason for wearing the bandages at nite is because that's when the wrists often "curl" or bend the most (think about how often we change positions while we sleep), and the bandage keeps the wrist very straight.

However some, like me, find the bandage to be constrictive and uncomfortable, which prevents good sleep- kind of a problem for those of us with fibro who already have enough sleep issues! Some don't have any issues with the bandage though and sleep just fine. You can a lot of additional info on mayoclinic.com if you wish. All the best to you!

Erika :)
  8. Dara

Dara New Member

It was a daily thing when I was still working. But, after not working for the past 4 1/2 years I get it only once in awhile.

I also get the numbness, tingling, feeling in my face. Sometimes I have it on both sides at the same time, other times just one side, or the other. I think using the computer has a lot to do with it.

One of the signs of a stroke is numbness or tingling on one side, so of course I always think of that first. I don't do anything about it, except worry.

I did not have any surgery and I sure don't plan on having any. I also had ulnar nerve entrapment in both arms. Very painful, comparted to that the carpul tunnel wasn't as bad.

Hopefully you won't need to get the surgery. But, if you do, my Brother had his done by laser surgery and it turned out great for him. It does seem to run in our family, our Mom had it and out of 5 of us, we all have it, and so does my daughter. She had surgery for hers before she was 30.

Good luck to you.

Dara
  9. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

you know I have been trying to discover what this could be for over a year now!!!

When the heart doc mentioned it last week(she was doing a myoview to RO heart disease other than my weird aorta) she said my heart was great, had I been checked foir Carpal Tunnel-then she got called away, so I could not ask.

Thank you to those who have let me see this is what it probably is. I will get to that site right away.

Thank you!!!

Love ANNE C