Anyone else annoyed with pharmacists/techs?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by butterfly83, Jan 5, 2007.

1. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

Anyone else get hassled by pharmacists and whatever checkout kids are employed by the pharmacy?

I've had several instances where the pharmacists or techs raise their eyebrows at my dosages, or argue with my that it couldn't possibly be time to refill the prescription. Then today I go to pick up my NON narcotic pain medicine (Ultracet), and the pharmacists gives me a lecture about how my doctors are prescribing me a lot of powerful medications and should really be careful. To me it's just like.. I'm sorry, but are you a doctor? Are you aware of my illness, and do you have a better form of treatment for me? Since none of the above is true, please just allow my doctor and I decide on what is the best treatment, and you just fill the doctors orders.

I'm just so tired, and sore, and really it's just the last thing I need to have ANOTHER person acting like they know whats best for me. I'll handle my own health, thank you, and I will look to my DOCTOR for medical advice.
  2. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

Sounds like Walgreens.....LOL. I have gone through what you described so many times I lost count. I have even switched pharmacies to try and stop this but it has followed me.

I have fussed and complained several times but it doesn't do any good. The best way to avoid this is to let your doctor know at your next visit what the pharmacist is telling you. This way if the pharmacist was to call and say in his/her opinion they feel it could be too much your doctor can change the directions to be taken maybe. (even though it's all prescribed).

A pharmacist has alot of authority and can override a prescription for several reasons regardless if it is a non-narcotic and they can cause doctors to get nervous which causes delay in prescriptions.

In my opinion Pharmacists go way overboard.

I wish you the best of luck.

Carolin
  3. JLH

JLH New Member

I just read your bio and saw what all you are taking.

Please don't me angry with the pharmacist ... he/she knows you are young and he/she is just doing his/her job and looking out for your best interests. Really.

The techs have no business making any comments at all.... they are NOT trained pharmacists and it is NOT a part of their jobs to advise you on your health like it is of a pharmacist.

4. jech

jech New Member

thanks for posting this i feel so much better. somehow it's comforting to know your not the only one.
  5. Suzan

Suzan New Member

I was a pharmacy tech in Wisconsin, and the pharmacists there had strict regulations to follow about having contact with customers...relaying information...etc. The techs did NOT do that sort of thing...and would have been repremanded if we made any personal comment!
    If the pharmacist is just expressing concern because of what HE/SHE knows about the drugs you take..maybe you should adress those concerns with your physician? If there is no concern in your mind..then I wouldn't worry much about it..as I said, it could just be the pharmacist doing his job.
  6. HurtsToMove

HurtsToMove New Member

I decided to talk up the pharmacist every time I went in (which is alot). I learned his name and asked for him every time. I talked intelligently about my medication and asked him what I should do to make sure they had what I needed in stock, and I also spoke about side effects so that he would know that I know almost as much as him.

IT WORKED! He knows my name now and I even know his birthday. I think that once he realized I'm obviously not a dope head and could see that I functioned quite normally on strong medications that I must need them.

I really think it comes down to building a personal relationship with the pharmacist. Then you become a real person to them with legitimate needs.

Also, I don't bother with the techs at all, they just ring me up and that's it!
    [This Message was Edited on 01/06/2007]
  7. kjfms

kjfms Member

Sorry you are feeling harassed by your pharmacist and pharmacy technicians (they're required to go to school as well)

They are just doing their job and trying to look out for you and mean no harm.

Have a talk with you pharmacist about this and I am sure he/she will back off a little once you both have discussed the problem.

Pharmacist are more qualified on prescription medications than physicians it is their speciality after all.

Personally I would trust a pharmacist before a physician when checking for interactions because the physician has been wrong every time... in my case anyway.

I just do my own checking now and double with the pharmacist.

I hope it all works out for you. I am sure you and your pharmacist can come to an agreement that you understand you medications and appreciate his/her concern.

Take care,

Karen :)
  8. Juloo

Juloo Member

I am very fortunate that there is a locally-owned, non-chain pharmacy close by. I started going there because they offered drive-through service many years ago, and I even followed them when they moved to a non-drive-through location a few years later.

They greet me by name when I walk in, and I have never spent more than 5 minutes waiting for my meds to be filled. They've made a couple of mistakes in the last decade and a half, but they've fixed them as soon as they were brought to their attention.

Since my husband and I both have Lyme and EBV, and my son has had sinus problems for several years with two recent surgeries, I think I see them, on average, about 3 times a month -- or more!

The one glitch lately has been the amount of Famvir that my husband and I are on. So I've been calling a couple of days before our refills to warn them that I'm coming in, and they should put in an order if they are out. I was in last week to refill several meds, and they've told me that they think they are finally getting in the rhythm of having our quantity of Famvir available, so hopefully I won't have to give them extra time any more.
  9. Mwitherite

Mwitherite New Member

I have tried all the major ones ya know and now I just go right down the street to a little tiny pharmacy that is just happy to have the business. There is one pharmacist and she knows me pretty well after a year. Never once has she said any of them deciteful things. She will say that this one is stonger than the last one and don't drive on it until you know how it affects you, but never the are you a junkie questionings that others seem to be experiencing. It is a little more expensive but I value the lack of comments enough to spend the few extra dollars a month.
    - M
  10. busybusymom

busybusymom New Member

I just picked up my antidepressant tonight and the pills inside WERE NOT from the manufacturer that was on the label, not to mention the pharmacist told me when I picked them up that they were FROM the company that was STATED on the label. I was in tears because I can only tolerate this antidepressant from one particular manufacturer - the one on the LABEL!!!

I'm sick of pharmacies and the idiots they hire! Ugh!!

BusyBusyMom
  11. mary124

mary124 New Member

I've never have run into this problem. I been going to Wal-mart in Round Rock for I don't know how many years, the head Pharmacist pretty much knows my name and ask how I'm doing all the time. Some of the Techs know who I'm am as well.

I would suggest you call the corporate office if you have a problem or even talk to your doctor about this.
  12. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I posted big long gripe thread about it once. I dubbed them hell pharmacy and asked my doctor to rewrite my narcotic rx's so I could switch back to my old pharmacy. I'd been trying to switch to the country one in our area, but it wans't worth it, because they kept holding up my rx's and double checking and I'd had it. The extra stress caused my extra pain.

My old pharma in the city is a part of a franchise, but privately run. I've been w/ them 8 yrs and they all know my voice on the phone and are very friendly. When my fiance started picking up my rx's for me when working in town, they treated him like a celebrity by association. He got a kick out of that. I got a few lectures at the beginning, but they've never second guessed my docs or held up rx's.

They even did me a huge favour one time when I had my period and they know me well enough to know I have dismenorrhea and its my heaviest painkiller use of the month. My narc rx had run out of refills and it was Fri., but since they knw I'd been on these meds for yrs, they gave me just enough to get me through a wknd and then they took the pills out of my next renewal. That is above and beyond as far as I'm concerned, but thats what you can get if your pharmacy team knows you well. Btw, it was actually a tech who did me this huge favour. She knw firsthand what it was like to have cramps like that. Back in her period days, docs didn't believe it could be that painful, so she'd be hurling and passing out from pain every mth.

Jeanne
  13. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I still have dysmenorrhea every mth, but I would have to say its not quite as bad as it used to be. Some things I can pinpoint, but others are a mystery and maybe are just attributable to the FM getting incrementally a fraction better year by year.

Some things I know that have helped: St. John's Wort is probably the biggest factor. It is mentioned mainly as an a.d. in N. America, but its great for dysmenorrhea, ricketts and other neurological pain (FM included) and anxiety too. I think my adrenal glandular therapy has made a big dent too. taking glands orally has made a huge difference in body temperature, energy, mood, and because the adrenal glands are responsible for producing some sex hormones, I think the gland therapy has helped the whole PMS deal too. I take either straight adrenal by New Roots Herbal, or Dr. Wilson's Adrenal Rebuilder combo (w/ adrenal, thyroid, hypothalamus, pituitary, and gonad), I notice the Dr. W's because it contains gonad too, seems to boost my sometimes ailing sexdrive as well. Coconut oil can instantly quell pre-cramps and reduce inflammation and bloat, though I still have cramp hell for a few days w/ the actual period.

I still have my heaviest codeine use at that time of mth though.

Jeanne
  14. mejlee

mejlee New Member

My pharmacy has the worlds worst pharmacist.

It is one of the chains. He doesn't have time to talk to anyone. Or so he acts when you ask him a question.

I loved my tech though. She was wonderful, unfortunately I called and complimented her so many times that her higher ups promoted her out of my location! (ARGH) The customer care since she left has been one nightmare after another. But I digress.

My most recent experience with my pharmacist was... I asked him if it would be okay for me to try Relacor with my current Rx's. From across the room he stated that "It is a natural product, it should be fine." (in a rather sarcastic voice) I wanted to ask him if, If I die, can I have him quoted on my tombstone?"

My solution to my problem is I call other pharmacists, explain my guys attitude and ask them if they can help me. I have not come across one that is not understanding and helpful. I do ask him things every once in a while to see if he has changed his attitude. (I like to give everyone a chance.)

Needless to say, when I started taking my Neurontin a couple of days ago, I didn't ask to speak with him. I called another pharmacy.

(Hint to anyone that wants to try this. If you call one of the 24 hr. pharmacies late at night, they seem to be more up to date on things. And they don't usually get to do much interacting with people, so they seem to be eager to help!)