Anyone Else Bicycle?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Feb 14, 2003.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

My bike has been in the closet for years, so I took it to the shop to have new tubes put on and slimed. I figured now that I am feeling a little better, perhaps riding my bike would be good exercise. I rode it around our cul de sac to distribute the slime in the tubes and I am dog tired.

Does anyone else ride? Does it do you in or has it helped you over time?

No matter how old I get, I still get the same thrill as I did as a kid when I'm coasting freely along with the wind in my hair.

Love, Mikie
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

And I said, "Never again!" He was a daredevil and rode like the devil himself was after him. Hmmmm, come to think of it...

Anyway, I like to putz along at my own speed, but I can see where a tandem might be fun if there's someone sane at the helm.

Love, Mikie
  3. CelticLadee

CelticLadee New Member

I love cycling! Since I got sick spring 2001 I haven't been back on my bike but once. About a month ago I was having a good day so I rode level terrain at a slow speed a couple blocks out and back. Big mistake! I ended up having a flare up of my symptoms for a few days. ouch! But I have not given up. I will try again later on. It is so telling on this disease and the disability it creates. I use to ride 25 miles a lot of Saturdays pre-disease and felt like a million bucks afterwards. Sure I would be a little sore but big deal! In 1997 my husband & I trained so we could endure the Tour De Blast a 137K challenge up to Mt. St. Helens. That was the highlight of our cycle riding days. Great memories. I'm like you...when I get on my bike I feel like a kid. I never quit loving it and I don't plan to give it up. Even if all I can do is tool around the neighborhood eventually. I take pleasure in the simple things in life.
  4. Fairyeyes

Fairyeyes New Member

Mikie-
    I use a stationeary recumbent bike, and although quite expensive, when I can afford to, someday, I would like a recumbent road bike. less stress on lower back and hips, plus conditions the lower abs as well.
    take good care-
    blessed be-
    me
  5. jolly

jolly New Member

I just couldn't resist this post because a couple of years ago I got this urge to ride a bicycle, feel the bumps and the wind in my face, etc. etc. So Terry got me one for my birthday. It is wonderful. You really can feel like a six year old again (to a certain degree). How many of you have been reremembering the feelings you had as a child? These memories have been coming to me for a few years now, trying to remember how I felt as a child. I can't always ride it (like now for instance), but when I can it's the greatest feeling. Jo Ellen
  6. karen55

karen55 New Member

The last time I was on one was 5 years ago in the FL Keys, spent the day riding around Key West and it was a great way to really see the place *up close and personal*.
    Where I live, a bike/jogging path has been built on the river levee from New Orleans up to the area I live in. I'd love to get a bicycle and ride that, but the only bike that doesn't seem to hurt my back is the old fashioned foot brake type. Right now I seriously doubt if I'd be able to handle riding a bike with the pain I'm having in my joints, but one day..............
    :)

Karen
  7. sb439

sb439 New Member

and did it daily, slowly, and not for very long. The only "exercise" beyond walking I could tolerate. Funnily I could never work with an exercise bike: I always collapsed back into ill after a few days, despite starting with a minute and building up very slowly. Cycling around is also soothing to me (if it's not heavy traffic). Here in the US I can't (yet), since I can't get up the little hill I live on, not even with pushing the bike. But it will come! I took my bike with me from the UK.
    Susanne
  8. pam_d

pam_d New Member

It is the only thing I CAN do!! I would love to get out there and walk, but the fact is, my feet are a source of pain for me if I walk too far---and makes my tingling worse.

Riding my bike is a great alternative, no impact to my feet, but gets the heart rate going. Yes, I have definitely overdone it & paid for it the next day....I try to ride every other day, instead of daily.

It's wintry weather now where I live so I'm not riding lately----I have thought of making it stationary in the basement for now, but I have to agree, 90% of the enjoyment of biking for me is what you said--feeling the wind in my hair. I doubt I'd ride very far in my basement, it just isn't the same!

These are times I wished I lived in a more consistent climate------in Kansas, it's too humid & hot in the summer, too cold & icy in the winter----and not enough fall & spring in between.

But, I LOVE bike-riding & you can start slow & build up to a level that doesn't kill you.

Good luck, Mikie!

Hugs,
    pam
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The worst was last night, but today, my shoulders hurt where they took the brunt of bumps as I stood to take the brunt off my hips. I can't win. It was both my hips and shoulders which were injured 3 1/2 years ago which finally put me over the edge and from which I never recovered. I am not giving up, just avoiding bumps :) We have a long trail all the way to the beach here, so I can go slowly and build up. I've been feeling so well that I guess I didn't expect to hurt from just a wee little ride.

Love, Mikie
  10. karen55

karen55 New Member

did you at least enjoy yourself while you were doing it, Mikie? I certainly hope so! Take care of you today, I hope you're feeling better soon.

Karen