Anyone Else Doing Sudoku Puzzles?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

At first, I resisted them because they caused hellish flashbacks of matrices in college math. Since I try to improve my cognitive functioning with word puzzles, I decided to give the sudokus a try. I started out with easy ones and have worked my way up to medium difficulty. I doubt I will be able to do the advanced, but I may try them.

Sudoku requires a different type of cognitive ability than word puzzles. I find I am enjoying them. As my general health continues to improve, my cognitive faculties are getting better overall too. I hope to someday be well again and to have recovered all my mental faculties. We had one member here who recovered after many, many years of being ill and she fully recovered her mental abilities. She even recovered memories which she had thought were long gone. It's never too late to try to heal and we should always have hope.

Hope and optimism may well be one of our best "treatments."

Love, Mikie
  2. Juloo

Juloo Member

I did my first one about three months ago. The local newspaper started carrying a daily Sudoku just in the last few weeks. Apart from a couple of big books and a little one to fit in my purse, I also have a handheld one -- I'm a little intimidated by it. It's like doing a crossword in pen -- I'm still in the phase where I need to write all the 'possibles' in tiny, tiny letters in the spaces. I need BIG spaces!
  3. tansy

tansy New Member

and he now prefers the advanced puzzles. He will be 80 next month and is determined to keep his brain as young and active as possible. First he used crosswords then he discovered Sudoku, so now he does both. My mother's delighted, it keeps him out of her hair; he is laid up with an injury just now, and this is the first time in these circumstances he's been liveable with. So suduko puzzles get the thumbs up from my mother even though she doesn't do them herself.

Mikie I am sure using as many different cognitive skills as we can manage will help us regain the skills we all miss so much.

Tansy

4. amberini

amberini New Member

I started about 6 weeks ago and now I do a few puzzles a day. I have a book I carry in my purse just in case I have time to wait. Did you know there is a daily one on MSNBC?
    Doing something that is both fun and helps our cognitive abilities is wonderful.
    Gotta run, haven't done one yet...Amberini
  5. jake123

jake123 New Member

My husband got a book of sudoku puzzles for Christmas and I thought he wouldn't like it and would give it to me! I was wrong - he is eating them up even the mediums. I've picked it up when he isn't here and added a few numbers.
  6. Kat_in_Texas

Kat_in_Texas New Member

I'm completely and hopelessly addicted to Sudoku! Like some of the others have said, I keep a small book in my car for times I have to wait, and I also keep a small one at work for coffee breaks or lunch at my desk. But my biggest puzzle time is right before bed ... DH reads, I do my puzzles. I love them!

Just wish I could say it ... that word just never wants to come out of my mouth correctly, LOL!

Kat
  7. CarolK

CarolK New Member

Never heard of them till you posted this Mikie!

Boy did I ever feel like a dum-dum! I went to several sites after doing a google search on them... I just couldn't understand how to do them.

Then I went to the "kids activity" site... figured if kids could do them, I could do them. So after following the directions at the kids I finally understood what they were getting at with "rows, columns and grids".

I had to start with just four numbers... then six... and I am working my way up to nine... sheesh am I ever challenged!

Thanks for posting this Mikie... I will tell my grandkids about them... they will probably catch on quicker than I have! lol
  8. patches25

patches25 New Member

I like the puzzles. I do some while watching TV. Good pastime. E.
  9. KJH_10

KJH_10 New Member

great. I love them . I first found them in a magazine, and then I found websites where you can play them. I try all stages, the evil ones are hard, but I cheat because I always click on the "how am I doing" button to find out if I am doing it right. OH well though it keeps my brain going! LOL!
  10. Zzzsharn

Zzzsharn New Member

I'm addicted too-

I keep one in the bathroom ! te he!

S
  11. sofy

sofy New Member

I do that and the crossword puzzle in the paper. I have to keep exercising whats left of my compromised brain. I llook at it as part of my treatment for better health.

It took me weeks to finally see the next step in eliminating possible numbers from the easiest puzzles but now Im stuck on the harder ones.

One day I did get a fleeting glimpse of what to do and finished one, top level, but had already lost the logic before I finished so its been a couple weeks and still cant figure out what I did. I get so far and then cant see the next logic. Im not going to give up EVER.

Its in the old filing system but just cant get the dots to connect, but I know the possibility is still with me. I find that comforting.
  12. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

Thankyou ! I looked up the online site and started doing an easy one. My 22 year old son whose major is Accounting scooted me out and solved it in about 5 min. He then did a medium one with not much difficulty. I, however have am still working on the easy one !

Laura
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Using one's nondominant hand to perform everyday activities will help keep the brain exercised. Use the nondominant hand to brush your teeth, wash your face, stir food, etc.

I had to have big time surgery on my right arm and was unable to use it for months. I had to learn to write with my left hand. I started out doing crossword puzzles until I could print fairly well. I never did learn to write in cursive very well, but my livlihood depended on my being able to fill out forms.

Ever since then, I find myself switching hands to do most tasks interchangably except for writing.

Just as I'm seeing my health drizzle back in dribs and drabs, with a few setbacks, I find my mental abilities improving. It's happening so slowly that unless I really take notice, it don't realize it.

Glad there are others who have learned to Sudoku. They are actually having seminars here for the seniors to learn Sudoku strategy. I already have my own system, so I'm sticking with it.

Love, Mikie
  14. Kat_in_Texas

Kat_in_Texas New Member

I've never heard that about using the non-dominant hand to do tasks (brushing teeth, etc.) ... I'm going to try that! :)

Kat
  15. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Don't shove the toothbrush and toothpaste up your nose like I did when I first tried this :)

Love, Mikie