Anyone else experience Memory Problems and Spatial Difficulty?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mymichelina, Aug 14, 2003.

1. mymichelina

mymichelina New Member

I have FM. I notice that my memory is getting worse and worse. I am 41 yrs old. I can read a schedule for example..look away..then a min later I cannot remember what happens next even thought I just read it! I have to write everything in a calendar...and check it several times a day to make sure. I can be in a conversation..be interupted..and have no memory of what we were talking about. I also have difficulty with space..for example..I will reach for something...think I am on target...and hit something with my hand nearby before getting object I am reaching for...even though I wa being soooo careful! Does anyone else have similare problems? Everyone tells me it is due to fatigue..but I don't think so....even though I am always exhausted. Thank You!
  2. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

Absolutely to all you wrote, it is so frustrating. I've even begun recently forgetting to take a towel to the shower - RATS! I've only been doing that all my life. Lists everywhere then forget to read them. You are not alone.
  3. Yolapa

Yolapa New Member

I'm 21 years old and have experienced the same memory problems and spatial difficulty. I used to have a really sharp memory, could repeat any conversation word for word, now have to write everything down like you, cna't remember instructions given to me 3 seconds before, walk into rooms forgetting why I went in there...I have to study 5x as long for school.
    I also go through periods where I lose coordination. I'm very athletic, so this is way out of the norm. I will go to pick things up and miss them, put them down and drop them...Sometimes I completely lose my balance without even feeling dizzy. I will go to take a step and almost fall over, stand up straight again, feel fine, go to take a step and tip over again. Whatever area of the brain is processing that stuff must be out of whack.
  4. janet38

janet38 New Member

hi i am janet from nc and i am married ,got 4 kids and i am 38 years old.i also have this dd along with ,lupus,congested heart failure,severe manic depression,hypertension.and on alot of meds.i went to my doc the other day.however i did not think about ....hello.....you left chicken on the stove .by the time i got home ,i did have one..but smoke was all over the house.also i was setting at a light and before i knew it .i had sat there and my mind like wondered off.and i actually just drove off and my little girl said mommy you went on red /i panicked.put things somewhere to hide .then i cant remember where i put it.so now i keep notes all over to remind me of things i often can not remember.the lord has been with me .fore if not,i would of maybe have no house or kids because of this .so sorry you all r in this too.it is not in our heads.....
  5. libra55

libra55 New Member

Yes, I too have sat through a green light oblivious to the honking of horns behind me, and then gone on the red and nearly gotten self and family killed. I have put empty cartons back into the refrigerator and thrown away boxes of food. I forget my husband's cell phone number which I should know because I call him numerous times throughout the day. I call the pizza shop when I mean to call the doctor's office, and vice versa. I have left my kids at band practice, soccer, etc. and forgotten to go back and get them. I boil water for pasta then forget to put it in and the pan boils dry. I go to the grocery for one item and get everything but that one item. Like others on this board I have to write everything down. It's scary.
    Michelle
  6. Deanna S.

Deanna S. New Member

of those of us who experience these "memory lapses" and spatial disorientation! I have been a nurse for the last 17yrs and was always sharp and on my toes. I have always been very articulate and quick witted. But since having this DD I feel like a total "space cadet"! Thank God, I haven't been able to work for the last three years, only because I would not want to feel like this and have to care for someone else's loved one. I would be afraid!

However, I do miss my job, and the second income of course but, I would be scared to handle any responsibilty other than my own, and that is scary enough! I have conversations with people and forget mid sentence where the heck I was going with it. At times I can't remember simple words or things that came very easily to me at one time.
    Spatial difficulty, very scary when you have a two story house! I have fallen down the stairs twice already, cause I missed a step, even while watching carefully as I descended! I would be standing completely still while talking to someone or no one and lilt to the left or right.
    Even while walking. I could only imagine the number of people that thought I was loaded! Embarrassing to say the least. I have let my dogs out, only to go all over the house looking for them, put away dirty dishes from the dishwasher thinking they were clean and not noticing the obvious crud on them.

The list goes on. But, you are not alone as you can see. My son calls me "whacko mom" and my husband just gives me that raised eyebrow look. Though they do know that it is part of this DD, they have a hard time accepting that this once intelligent, quick witted, quick thinking woman is reduced to a blithering idiot! Sorry, but that is how I feel sometimes.

I sympathize with all of you. But, at least WE know why we are like this. I truly believe there are neurlogical consequences associated with this DD, but, why and how I don't know. I will be seeing a psychiatrist in the near future, (at my request) to see what the heck she thinks of all of this. I do not believe that it is "all in my head".
    Based on those that I know, and from those who post here, who have FM or CFS this is a bonafide problem associated with these afflictions. Want me to tell you how long it took me to type this, and the mistakes I made? This from a woman who used to type 70 words a minute without the blink of an eye?!!!!

Good Luck, be safe, and check frequently! You have many others who share your grief.

God Bless, (((hugs)) Deanna S.
  7. wle

wle New Member

My short term memory is awful..I like a lot of you can't remember from one minute to the next. I make lists and then forget to take them to the store with me..or forget where I put the list. I don't seem to have the spatial problems..at least not as bad. I do lose my balance quite often but have not experienced reaching for something and being off my mark so to speak. WLE
  8. LauraLea

LauraLea New Member

to a lot of us. It's very scary because my mom has Alzheimer's so I keep thinking oh my god I'm next. I'm also 41 and my husband always tells me "you never remember anything I tell you" he's right I forget. I even forget to do routine things like taking something out for dinner. Or mailing the rent check. Things that I do all the time.

It's very common you are not alone.

Laura
  9. LeslieG

LeslieG New Member

Although the pain is bad (and PTL not as bad as many of you have it - yet) but the memory thing is a big frustrator! I thought I was a big klutz (and maybe I am) but all the things you all are talking about are true for me, too. The swaggering/balance issues and running into and dropping things...

Argh! I am almost 40 myself and can't believe how fast these things have excellerated in the last year. The memory thing and my eye sight are my biggest irks at the moment.

Hang in there!!!

Leslie
  10. healing

healing New Member

I think it has to do with the DD but is exacerbated by fatigue -- at least, in my case it is.
  11. mymichelina

mymichelina New Member

Thank you all for your responses! I have not heard of that medication Shirley...I will look it up....if I remember! This is so hard...made easier knowing that I am not alone and it is not all in my head!
    Thank you
  12. BILLCAMO

BILLCAMO New Member

VERY COMMON FOR PEOPLE WITH CFIDS AND/OR FM. I KNOW THEY ARE SOME OF MY BIGGEST FRUSTRATIONS. AS FOR DRS. & PEOPLE WHO SUGGEST IT'S " ALL IN OUR HEAD "..... I FIGURE THERE ARE TWO OPTIONS...... 1... I'M CRAZY OR 2... THEY ARE CRAZY & IDIOTS. I KNOW WHICH OPTION I HAVE CHOSEN & HAVE MADE MYSELF A BIG NOTE SO I WON'T FORGET !!!!!!! OF COURSE MY CHOICE IS #2....... BUT I'LL LET ALL OF YOU MAKE YOUR OWN DECISION........ TAKE CARE & BLESSINGS !!!!!! BILLCAMO.
    P.S.///EDIT ...... BRAIN FOG CAUSED ME TO FORGET THE SLACK TO CUT FOR OUR LOVED ONES....... I BELIEVE IT IS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO UNDERSTAND THESE DD'S. UNLESS YOU ARE ACTUALLY FIGHTING THEM....... B/C.[This Message was Edited on 08/15/2003]
  13. nancyw

nancyw New Member

Yep, you hit the nail on the head in the way you explained it. This has actually gotten to be pretty funny with my daughter and grandkids (if I don't laugh at it, I'll cry!). I'll have the same conversation with my daughter 5 or 6 times a day because I don't remember even asking. I'll call the grandkids by different names (Scarlett instead of Skyler). I'll be talking and just totally forget what I was talking about or I make up my own language or say the wrong words. I also seem to have gotten really clumsy lately (I trip alot), but didn't know what to make of it except maybe my depth perception is off. You are definitely not alone and I understand how frustrating this aspect of FM is. I don't converse with a lot of people when in public now (and I have always been a talker) because I'm afraid of embarrassing myself. Good luck to you.
  14. CrazyHorseLady

CrazyHorseLady New Member

I just find it so embarassing....people say "hello" to me and have a conversation and I don't know who they are or how they know all about me. The day before yesterday instead of putting a roast in the oven, I put an oven mitt in the oven and didn't realize it until I smelled the smoke...
    I make lists for everything. It's the only way to keep organized and not forget stuff (altho I still do). I'm not so alone now.

CrazyHorseLady
  15. beeleaf

beeleaf New Member

My grandma says I'm just getting old, hehe.

I space out so much I should be weightless by now. ;~)

I'll add another one that aggravates me & seems to be part of the fog. I have trouble reading, or I should say comprehending what I read. Have to read almost everything repeatedly to grasp what it says. I don't even try to read long passages, posts, e-mails, etc. anymore because I know I won't "get it". Very frustrating. I was anything but learning impaired for most of my life. Oh, well.

16. bluenoser100

bluenoser100 New Member

hi bad memory!
    Yes hon it sounds like fms to me!!!! theres days i pick something out of drawer and have in hand still can't find it. days can't even find key thats in my hand to start car then can't find shifter to move. yes it happens alot i;m 46 and read books and movies and can watch over like i never read or saw in my life barb
  17. bluenoser100

bluenoser100 New Member

hi bad memory!
    Yes hon it sounds like fms to me!!!! theres days i pick something out of drawer and have in hand still can't find it. days can't even find key thats in my hand to start car then can't find shifter to move. yes it happens alot i;m 46 and read books and movies and can watch over like i never read or saw in my life barb