Anyone Else Experience Nausea and Shortness of Breath?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Leenerbups, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

Hi all,

I am having a really really bad flare up of my FMS & CFS. At least i think it's that.

I am dizzy, tired, nauseaus and feel very weak. My lungs feel constricted and short of breath (costocondritis)

I've been feeling this way for 2 weeks.

It's so bad I'm getting afriad. Anyone else get these symptoms and what do you do for them?

Also, how do we know when it's our DD and not something else?
  2. jesfms

jesfms New Member

could it be anxiety? i just had those symtoms and had a cardiac stress test...i started zoloft and low dose of valium and all symtoms have disappeared
  3. busybusymom

busybusymom New Member

I am always dizzy, tired, nauseous and feel weak when I overdo it. It is the CFS, but also have toxic mold in my home and my toxic mold antibody tests came out positive. According to my doctor, it is the mold that is making me sick.

As far as the SOB and constriction of your lungs, I would see a cardiologist. It could be anxiety-related, but maybe not.

I'm sorry you are having such a rough time. I know how you feel. Try to hang in there and get to a doctor. Have them do a chest xray and other tests.

Jennifer
  4. Crispangel66

Crispangel66 New Member

It would not be a bad idea to get checked out. Even if it is something most of us have had a problem with. You just never know and it is better to be safe than sorry but yes I have had this problem alot and most of mine is anxiety.
    Hope you feel better soon. Hugs Pamela
  5. laspis1

laspis1 New Member

I have been experiencing the same thing lately plus some. The nausea got really awful. You should check your heart, but I agree that most likely you are experiencing anxiety. I have been drinking all sorts of calming and relaxing teas, but sometimes desperate times call for other measures and you may want to as for some anxiety medication or and SSRI. Hope you get better.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/03/2006]
  6. pirtpain

pirtpain New Member

This is par for the course. You are just having a bad flare.
    I am constantly nauseated, and even throw-up. I think the meds do that. And yes...sometimes you don't know if it is the DD or something else. I can't tell you how many times I have gone to the emergency room thinking that I am having a heart attack or something. Hang in there!

PIRT
  7. leomonkey

leomonkey Member

I found breathing weakness is always an issue, especially during a crash but basically all muscles become weak.

The nausea and headaches are the most signifcant for me. As I have been putting on weight over the years (I take some off during better times but ultimately I am getting heavier) I find that my breathing becomes more constricted. I practice deep diaphram breathing or meditation to assist with this.
  8. JLH

JLH New Member

If your lungs feel constricted and you are short of breath, you should get checked out ASAP. This could be congestive heart failure. Sometimes, we tend to blame everything on the fms or cfs.

Hugs,
    Janet
  9. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

When I stand up, my abdominal muscles tighten and I can't take a full breath, then I start to feel faint. I try not to stand up much. Worries me though, will ask doc.
  10. laspis1

laspis1 New Member

What you are describing is a type of dysautonomia called POTS. Your blood preassure changes abruptly when you stand up. You should see an electrophysiologist. I have posted some stuff on dysautonomia lately, and you seem to have a classic symptom.
  11. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

where do you live? i'm in florida and been feeling the same way.

konrad, is is true that the Impedence Cardiograph is the only test for heart-related problems caused by CFS? i'm wondering specifically what tests to ask for that would tell me if any of the various viruses with an affinity for the heart are causing shortness of breath/chest tightness?

eddie
    [This Message was Edited on 02/04/2006]
  12. pemaw54

pemaw54 New Member

I have FM . Many days Im nauseaus and dizzy when Im having a bad day, which is most days. I had to start using a cane about a yr ago. Lighting changes, dim or dark throws me completely off. I thought the nausea was from the 27 meds I take each day. I hold on to furniture in the house but must have the cane when ever i go out. Hubby hated it at first. He wanted me to hold his arm.HA I felt like a jealous wife holding onto her man. Now I get it before we go out the door and he has to accept it. If you find a reason for the dizziness, let me know

Suzette
  13. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

Thanks to all of you!

And thanks for the compliment Konrad. :)

I have felt this way before,off and on and have had it really bad when I became anemic. I started taking iron pills again just in case.

I'm releived that it is'nt something really serious, but just in case, I'll make an appointment with a cardiologist.

I usually take one .25 Xanax a day, because I do suffer from panic disorder too, but lately have had to up it from this flare. Because as I'm feeling weak, dizzy, tired, nauseaus etc, it makes me panic.

*hugs*
  14. shan1078

shan1078 New Member

I thought maybe I was just the odd one out.
    I have been dealing with the shortness of breath for about a year. I had it checked out by a dr. and they said it could be anxiety, and gave me some Buspar, but I still had the shortness of breath. It almost feels like there is pressure on my chest. I started getting nauseas about 4 months ago. It was EVERY single day, and this was before I was taking medicine. I went to my Dr. (again) and she gave me Prescription Prevacid. I take it every- day and the nausea has stopped completely. Which, so has the breathing aspect. (don't know, could they be conntected). You may want to talk to your Dr. about it, and maybe mention Prevacid, see what they say. Good Luck
  15. darude

darude New Member

I have this all thee time. they kept telling me nothing wrong but sent me for lung function tests. Only had on average 55% lung function so dignosed with COPD!
  16. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

Darude, what is COPD??
  17. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

Some of my first symptoms before I was diagnosed were the nausea and shortness of breath after just going up the stairs. My heart is fine, so I just take things slow. Eat small portions several times a day and have tried breathing exersices to relax. I'm sure it has a lot to do with panic attacks. i.e. we start to feel like that and it brings it on even worse!

Good Luck, Sue
  18. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

Probably right.

SOmeone here asked where I live. I apologize for not answering. I am in NJ, and it's been damp, rainy and cold, which always flares me.

I had my lungs checked about 6 months ago and it was determined I have asthma coupled with Costocondritis.

"Costo" is common with FMS. It's inflammation of the tissue between the ribbones, so the ribcage is sore and it restricts the lungs.

Aint we got fun?
  19. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I actually am having a pretty good day today, so I shouldn't complain, but I'm still looking at that bottle of Effexor and trying to decide whether or not to take it........
  20. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

based on your success with prevacid, i'm trying a 14 day run of prilosec to see if it helps with my chest symptoms. i never get that acidy taste in my mouth indicating GERD but my father had a hiatel hernia and my mother has GERD so who knows? it's worth a shot before i go ringing up my tab with lots of heart and lung tests.

eddie