Anyone else experience problems with generic Prozac?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rabbitstoo, May 1, 2003.

1. rabbitstoo

rabbitstoo New Member

I had taken brand-name Prozac for years until being unemployed and having no insurance so I was off medications for over 10 months. My new doctor prescribed the Prozac again but this time I was given the generic. I am having problems with it similar to what I was having with Paxil - anxiety, nervousness, trouble falling asleep - and I wondered if it is because of the Prozac being generic instead of brand-name (like I was taking before). I had no problems taking the brand-name Prozac except for it taking a few weeks to become effective on the depression. I was diagnosed with a chemical imbalance depression before I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. Does anyone have any comments or suggestions about generic Prozac?

Thanks,
    Susan
  2. dsames

dsames New Member

I too take generic Prozac and have for many years for a chemical inbalance which was dx before my fibro was dx.

I have not noticed any problems with it. Maybe it takes a little while to adjust to the difference.

Hope you are feeling better soon ,.

Shirley
  3. rabbitstoo

rabbitstoo New Member

Thank you for the information. I thought they just came out with the generic Prozac a year or so ago which is why I was on the brand-name for rest of the time I was taking it. I am going to stop taking it until I see my doctor again on June 2nd and see what she says then. I just can't handle the side effects right now. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Susan
  4. judywhit

judywhit New Member

St. Johns Wart is very cheap and it will not give you the side effects. I swear by the stuff! Read Prozac Backlash by Dr. Glenmullen.
    Judy
  5. fibrorebel

fibrorebel New Member

and I just told my husband today that I definitely have to get off of it as I don't like the effects. I was taking Zoloft and the only thing I had with that is night sweats.
    This stuff on the other hand, tends to make me feel very anxious, agitated,no tolerance for anything! I think the only reason he switched me to Prozac was the cost difference as I don't have insurance. He also just started me on flexeril, which works ok at taking the edge off the pain but I am putting on the pounds soooo fast. I can see I need to get back to the doc.love, Rebel
  6. Dorothy45

Dorothy45 New Member

I have been using Prozac for several years off and on for clinical depression. I went back on it, well roght now brain fog, but maybe two years ago. I asked my gyno if it was all in my head, because I could feel a difference between Prozac and generic. He said some people actually do tell the difference. I am now going to a psychiatrist, and I had to switch to generic for insurance/money reason. He also is treating me for a mild form of bi-polar. I have tried several other anti-depressants, and Prozac works the best for me. However, I had to end up taking generic. I think I am finally "use" to the generic. It is working. Yes I am having touble with sleeping and nervousness, but I am not trying to kill myself. That's what my goal was, wen I went to the psych. He was the one that suggeted I suffered from fm. Now I am mentally fit, but other fm symptoms are becoming stronger and more pronounced. I guess this is part of fm. Atleast, I don't have a rope around my neck. Do go to a psychiatrist, because they know more about depression. My psych saved my life! I finally don't feel like a nut". All these years of dealing with little aches and infections, and depression made me feel like I was going crazy. Good luck. It's hard to be patient, but with the help of this support group, and a good doctor you might beable to find mental comfort.