Anyone else experience this?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by KayKay2, Aug 28, 2002.

1. KayKay2

KayKay2 New Member

Went swimming in a friends pool. After being in the water for about 15 minutes, the tips of my fingers went numb. About 5 minutes after getting out of the pool, both of my hands from the tips up to my wrists were extremely prickly....kinda like when your foot wakes up after sitting on it for too long......except severe and strong. This pain went on for 45 minutes before it subsided. I am guessing it has to do with the fact that I was moving around the pool, swimming, moving my arms. I find that if I do anything repititious for any amount of time, this happens.

This happened each time I went swimming this summer.... :(

Another wierd thing that has been happening, not sure if it's related or not...... When I go to bed, I have this high pitched ringing in my ears.... it drives me nutz! Then, when I'm almost asleep, I start feeling like my whole body is paralyzed. I jump up out of bed to scare it off. Maybe I've officially lost my mind.[This Message was Edited on 08/28/2002]
  2. KayKay2

KayKay2 New Member

Went swimming in a friends pool. After being in the water for about 15 minutes, the tips of my fingers went numb. About 5 minutes after getting out of the pool, both of my hands from the tips up to my wrists were extremely prickly....kinda like when your foot wakes up after sitting on it for too long......except severe and strong. This pain went on for 45 minutes before it subsided. I am guessing it has to do with the fact that I was moving around the pool, swimming, moving my arms. I find that if I do anything repititious for any amount of time, this happens.

This happened each time I went swimming this summer.... :(

Another wierd thing that has been happening, not sure if it's related or not...... When I go to bed, I have this high pitched ringing in my ears.... it drives me nutz! Then, when I'm almost asleep, I start feeling like my whole body is paralyzed. I jump up out of bed to scare it off. Maybe I've officially lost my mind.[This Message was Edited on 08/28/2002]
  3. ArkyFarmGirl

ArkyFarmGirl New Member

KayKay,
    Believe it or not...I have experienced exactly what you described in your post. In fact, the numbness and tingling after swimming (in my hands and lower legs) a couple of summers ago was the first really weird symptom I experienced! I also get that feeling of not being able to move in bed...it may be my whole body or just my legs. Of course, I CAN move....it's just that until I do, I feel like I am being held down! So...you aren't alone and you certainly have NOT lost your precious mind! Take care, friend.
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Seems I missed welcoming you to the board, so heres a belated welcome!

I don't go swimming, so can't relate to this one at all.

But I have had that sensation about being unable to move in the middle of the night, I do what most said they do; Jump out of the bed! It is a scary feeling and I have no idea why we get it.

No ringing in the ears, but they do itch like crazy sometimes, will wake me up. No idea what causes this either.

I think Mel could help with the ringing in the ears, I think I heard him mention this.

I think I do remember reading it in Devin's book though.

I have been sleeping good lately, so I am probably sleeping through some of this now.

Again, welcome to the board.

Shalom, Shirl
  5. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

but just about every night my ears ring - I think they ring at other times as well because I notice it when its quiet. At night they also sometimes ring with my heartbeat - kind of hard to explain but really annoying.
  6. KayKay2

KayKay2 New Member

amymb74 - The ringing I get at night is right in tune with my heartbeat as well so I know exactly what you mean.
  7. darlenek

darlenek New Member

Hello, I'm new here, but have had FMS for many years & can answer some of your questions. The tingling feeling sounds like neuropathy, one of the new things I've just started experiencing recently. It's one of the many things associated with FMS & is treated with antiseizure drugs (I have tried most of them in the past & can't tolerate them, they all caused or aggrevated GERD).The only thing I was able to do about it was to increase my pain meds which helps a little, but not a lot.

The feeling you get when falling asleep I can answer more fully as I worked in a sleep lab for a number of yrs before I was forced by my FMS to quit a couple of yrs ago. It is called sleep paralysis is is fairly common when falling asleep, less common, but does happen when changing sleep stages during the night. It happens when your brain tries to go into REM sleep immediately rather than working through the other 4 stages first. Normal sleep goes through stages 1-4, then REM or dream sleep approx. every 90 minutes throughout the night, but some people will go immediately into REM. During REM sleep, your mucsles are basically paralyzed, to prevent you from acting out your dreams, so when you fall into the REM sleep, you get that feeling of not being able to move, the sleep is still light enough that you are able to wake yourself out of it & get up to move around. It's a scary feeling, but not dangerous, it most often occurs with people who have narcopelsy but also happens with people who are seriously sleep deprived as so many of us with FMS are.

I found it really fascinating working in the sleep center, seeing how many of the patients with sleep disorders also had FMS, many of them undiagnosed, but with all the symptoms. I always kept a lot of educational materials about FMS to hand out to them & many of them were diagnosed with FMS after their sleep tests. Sleep apnea is also common with FMS & when properly treated the improvement in sleep quality can really improve the FMS symptoms.

I hope this helps a little.
    Darlene
  8. CAREN

CAREN New Member

KAY KAY,

I AM WONDERING IF THE EXPEREINCE WITH YOUR FINGERS AND HANDS COULD POSSIBLY BE DUE TO COLD WATER. PEOPLE WITH FIBRO REACT STRONGLY TO COLD, ESPECAILLY IN THEIR EXTREMEITIES LIKE HANDS AND FEET. ALSO, I HAVE HEARD OTHER PEOPLE WITH FIBRO TALK ABOUT HAVING THE RINGING IN THEIR EARS. I HAVE EXPERIENCED SOME OF IT MYSELF. YOU MOST LIKELY HEAR IT MORE AT BEDTIME BECAUSE ALL IS QUIET AT THAT TIME. HOPE THIS HELPS.

CAREN
  9. brightlights

brightlights New Member

First, I'd like to second the recommendation for the Devin Starlanyl books. I have 2 of them, "Fibromyalgia and Chronic Myofascial Pain: A Survival Manual", that was written with Mary Ellen Copeland, and "The Fibromyalgia Advocate: Getting the Support You Need to Cope with Fibromyalgia and Myofascial Pain Syndrome"

I have found that I have lots of wrist problems that cause both pain and "pins and needles". I can no longer hold onto the phone for very long before my hand falls asleep. This never happened before I had FMS. Now I use a headset. (You can get some decent ones at Best Buy).

When I do to much work that requires shoulder movement, the next day I feel like I have tendonitis. I'm sure that some of this is due to lack of muscle conditioning, but it doesn't take very much for me to get some -itis in one of my joints.

Today I planted 5 flower pots in my garden. I must have stretched out my achilles tendons too much, because I am having cramps for the rest of the day. 5 flower pots that took 10 minutes at the most! I was even too lazy to water them by hand, so I just turned on my sprinkler system for that zone.

It can get very frustrating!

Sandra
  10. SaraD

SaraD New Member

Hey Kay Kay, I had to respond to your note as it was something I just experienced last weekend, then I clicked on your bio and saw you are from Maine. Me too!!! If you ever feel like chatting with another Mainer, my email is SaraDavison@juno.com.
    Anyway, thank you Caren for the added info about cold. I was freezing last Saturday and then noticed the horrible feeling in all of the tips of my fingers, I thought something really horrible was happening to me. In a sense it was, but I agree that the cold brings out the worst in me. I also find it hard to swim. My doctor suggested swimming to help, but it makes me worse, so does hot tubs, unfortunatly..Anyway, I totally related too when you said it went away in 45 minutes, that's about when it subsided for me as well. My doctor also now thinks I may having something called RDS, I think are the initials, and right now can't even think what they stand for, I think he said it was something circulatory, but of course they don't say definetly if that's what you have or not or even what it is or how to get info on it, I am sure you know how helpful Doctor's are or should I say ARE NOT these days. Good luck.
    Sarad
  11. tired42long

tired42long New Member

I have the same numbness. I also get it in my face, just right of my nose. It is so weird and scary. And I have had ringing in ears since beginning of this 18 months ago. It is very loud and high pitched...unrelentless. I hve also lost some hearing., I have a friend that REALLY thinks alot of this night stuff is from electromagnetic "waste". She told me take all plugs out of the walls in bedroom near bed. I swear it sounds like electricity running inside of head. (IF so, its the ONLY energy in my body--LOL!). I know that may sound goofy, but you know...all of this disease is so kooky. I will try any reasonable solution. Some of it has to do with certain nerves. Parts of your bodies shouldn't go numb for no reason, RIGHT!

The pool...could it be a tempuratur change thing?. Or do uyou think it is the repetition like as with carpal tunnel stuff?
    [This Message was Edited on 08/29/2002]
  12. homeskillet19

homeskillet19 New Member

Hi,
    I am so sorry you are feeling bad!!!!!
    I too want to recommend the books from Dr Devin Starlanyl
    especially the one fibromyalgia & myofascial pain syndome....A survival manual
    they are very imformative, she is a doctor that also suffers from thses dd's.
    yes I get the ringing in the ears, so does my husband he has tintinitis and I have fibro?MPS, the doctor told him that there is nothing he can do for his , besides ignoring it, it happens to alot of men and women over 50....but mine is caused by my fibro/MPS, I usually get it when my neck is really whacked out, but if I put my rice socks and rub it while I am in bed at night, also the trp's in the front of the ear can cause it to do so if it is flared.
    your best bet, go to the doctor and get it checked out and your doctor will probably tell you I dont see anything wrong, then you will have the peace of mind and stop worring and then you will be like alot of us suffers that have to deal with one more symptomLOL
    Last summer when I went swimming I also had to where my feet and hands went numb, the pool was not heated well lets say the stingy landlord did not let much heat go in, that is when I learned that I was cold sensitive, we people with fibro/MPS have a bad reaction most of the time with extreme temperatures , it is like I love them winter time, summer I am not at my best, but for others it is the opposite.
    I Too just like sandra use a headset with my phone, it has been a great help for my hands and my shoulder.
    Okay i dont know how long you have been here but I am going to give you the recipe for rice socks if you have heard it many of times , I am so sorryLOL
    take uncooked rice and put it in a tube sock(I use a extra long one I get in the mens section) tie off the end, then you can put it in the microwave for 2 to 3 minutes, it all depends on the sock and your microwave then place on sore spots and enjoy!!!
    I hope you get to feeling better and try to get some sleep and when you get that feeling just try to relax, there is nothing wrong!!!
    Your friend,
    Denise
  13. KayKay2

KayKay2 New Member

All of you! I actually am sitting here crying tonight, not happy that everyone else has this crap, but happy I'm not alone. It's all been getting to me. The Doc took me out of work 2 months ago and I'm losing my mind. I need to get back to work.

I will definitely try the rice thing. I have been on and off the heating pad the last two days because my neck and spots in my shoulders are killing me... (can't even wear my bra). As soon as I can afford it, I'm going to get the book as well.