Anyone else frustrated with Ups and downs with Exercise????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Ness, Oct 13, 2002.

1. Ness

Ness New Member

I have been getting so frustrated over the past year. It seems like I will be going along pretty well with an exercise program and them BAM flare up of the unwanted Fibro Monster and I am put 10 steps behind..

I never give up and I do start over...but then it is start slowly again...get built back up to 30-45 minutes of walking and light weights....and then it will hit again when I least expect it!!!! I just get so tired of the darn ROLLERCOASTER RIDE!!!!

I was just wandering if any of you have this same problem....I use to be a Personal Trainer, work out 5 days a week as well as train my clients.... this is just so hard to chew sometimes..Thanks for all the great support I have been getting since I started coming here about 2 months ago.

Peace and Rainbows to you all!!
    Ness
  2. Ness

Ness New Member

I have been getting so frustrated over the past year. It seems like I will be going along pretty well with an exercise program and them BAM flare up of the unwanted Fibro Monster and I am put 10 steps behind..

I never give up and I do start over...but then it is start slowly again...get built back up to 30-45 minutes of walking and light weights....and then it will hit again when I least expect it!!!! I just get so tired of the darn ROLLERCOASTER RIDE!!!!

I was just wandering if any of you have this same problem....I use to be a Personal Trainer, work out 5 days a week as well as train my clients.... this is just so hard to chew sometimes..Thanks for all the great support I have been getting since I started coming here about 2 months ago.

Peace and Rainbows to you all!!
    Ness
  3. sybil

sybil New Member

an exercise programme and at the moment i do a set of about 6 hand and arm exercises,5 times each exercise,twice a day and it is killing me.the physio said go back to doing them once a day,as the pain was really getting to me and my sleep pattern was getting worse.
    i start hydrotherapy on wednesday and i am a bit scared,i expect to suffer some pain.but if the current pain from very simple exercises is anything to go by,i'm dreading it,

sybilxxx
  4. roro

roro New Member

I get so FRUSTRATED too. Last spring I was doing body-building, and I entered the BFL challenge. i did really well. Then I got a flare and lost 2 months. i just started back a few weeks ago and feel like in two months I have stepped backwards about 4! it is very frustrating.
  5. lavender_butterfly

lavender_butterfly New Member

My doctor told me that the one thing that has worked the best for all of her fibro patients is exercise. Add to the fact that I am diabetic, I should be getting lots of exercise. But I don't understand HOW I am supposed to be doing this.

I can usually get through some sort of exercise routine. A long walk, the warm pool therapy water aerobics my doc prescribed for me, or some very light stretching and movement exercises. But then it takes me five days to recover. I am in horrible amounts of pain and so exhausted, I can hardly convince myself to just get out of bed to use the bathroom!

If I could take some time off from work, then I could devote all of my time to exercising and getting better. But I really cannot do that. I have been considering taking a partial leave. Through my work, if my doc says I can only work a certain amount of hours for a short period of time, my short term disability will cover the rest of my pay. So I could drop down to part time and have the time to exercise and recover. But right now, its just not possible.

I find it really aggravating that the ONE THING I am supposed to do to help improve my health is the one thing I can't do...not without making myself completely sick. Hopefully, my disability insurance will pay. Otherwise, I will be stuck. Its so irritating!! GRRR...
  6. SaraD

SaraD New Member

I am starting the gym tomorrow. My husband had gotten me a one month membership for my birthday, although I don't plan on doing more then the month. The women there already told me really the best thing they had heard for fibro is acupuncture, the one thing beside exercise I haven't tried yet. Without knowing yet on my SS, I can't afford to do any of these things to help relieve some of the pain.
    I am so afraid to go in there because I just expect to feel worse or really hurt myself. It seems there isn't one part of my body that is without some kind of fault or injury...
    Thanks for letting me vent and thanks for posting!
    Sarad
  7. epicurean

epicurean New Member

long before fibro hit.Sometimes I will miss 3-4 weeks or more at a time,when I have a bad flare.But the benefits are well worth it-esp. how well I sleep when I exersise.If I can't go to gym I try to at least use treadmill-every little bit helps!!
  8. JP

JP New Member

The exercise stuff is really frustrating. I think you just told my story...I remember when a daily six-mile run was a warm up. I find that looking into my past is a killer.

Today, my only goal for exercise is that I get some every day no matter what. I am not sure if it helps or hurts. Sometimes my exercise is just a small amount of gardening. I am fortunate to have a pool, spa, universal gym and a treadmill in my home. When I worked, I did well and was able to afford the luxury items.

Hang in there and be kind to yourself.

Jan
  9. Jillian40

Jillian40 New Member

Hello Ness (And the Rest of You Guys Too) -

I hear you on the exercise/pain thing. My heart goes out to all of you. It truly is frustrating to not have your (own) body react as it always has in the past.

I just participated in a walk-a-thon yesterday downtown, here in Phoenix. It was for Breast Cancer Awareness and was 3 miles long.

I felt sore all over and one of my hips began hurting. I used to run 4 or 5 of these events each year, but now walk in maybe 2. Then several hours later, I went to a park with some friends. The kids were playing with a large ball, and then the adults joined in, so I did too. After about 10 minutes or so, the same aching, like arthritis all over my body came back, and by the end I was limping from hip pain. Went home and took a nap.

I'm forty, but sometimes feel 70. Really hate this!!!

I have been very active all my life. In fact I was the only one of my sisters and parents who was into sports and regular exercise from a young age. Now every one is overweight, but me. Guess that's a bonus, for my early effort. Now, I control my weight, by eliminating all pasta, bread, and as much sugar as I can. Really does the trick.

A big challenge for me lately is that two of my good friends, trained for and completed, a mini triathalon. I had every intention, at age 40 to do either a marathon or some type of endurance race. I tried to train with them, but then reality hit hard and I realized that I would likely injure myself and also need a week to recover after each long training session. Was difficult to see them both complete the event, though I was very happy for each of them. Just felt left behind and incapable. Have decided to re-focus on what I can do, not helpful or productive to spend too much time on the pity pot.

Take Good Care, ................ Jill

10. toots2

toots2 New Member

I just give up. I have had this very debilitating condition for the past 6 years and have done my best to keep up with an exercise program. I have come to the conclusion it just does not work for me. Whenever I exercise I end up in pain, no matter how light it is nor how short a period of time I give it. I keep reading about how good it is for us. Well, I don't think it is good if it makes us hurt. We have a pool and I swim in the summer. I can't even do much of that anymore without hurting later. Glad to hear I am not the only one going through this. Suzanne
  11. latracy

latracy New Member

Since I hurt so much when I try to exercise, my doctor sent me to a physical therapist. It was the worst time of my life. Every muscle in my body hurt. Swimming is the only thing that I can manage, and now that the summer's over, I guess it will just be my bathtub.
  12. Fairyeyes

Fairyeyes New Member

but I know exercise makes me feel better once I get moving. I have put it off for a few days at a time, but I know how important it is to all the other aspects of my health, so I get back on that proverbial horse. I don't want to have to suffer the effects of a poor cardiovascular system ON TOP OF HAVING FIBRO. It all boils down to doing what is best for your overall health. And remember, a teeny bit is more than nothing at all. don't equate exercise with gruelling workouts.
  13. sybil

sybil New Member

and if you find a pain med which works longer that 2 hours.....let me know!!!

sybilxxx