Anyone else get chills one minute & sweats the next?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by kar1953, Aug 23, 2003.

1. kar1953

kar1953 New Member

Thurs. & Fri. were sooooo hot & humid here. Temps around 90 w/very high humidity. I worked both days. Must have been at least 100 degrees in that bus. The heat really zapped me. I didn't eat dinner either evening - just felt sick.

My husband could not believe I was sitting around with a sweater on one minute cause I was freezing & a little while later the sweater was off & I was sweating like a pig - JUST SITTING THERE!!!

At first I thought I was coming down with something, but then I remembered other times this happened (isn't it weird how we forget something till it happens again!). There were a few nights in the middle of July we had the bedroom window open - nice night- & I woke up in the middle of the night & had to put socks on - my feet were like ice.

How weird is that? I sure hope it's not just me.

Take care.....Kathi
  2. kerrymygirl

kerrymygirl New Member

I live in the south and it can be so hot everyone is complaining. I love it because I can get such terrible chills for hrs. Then hot the next minute. Feet usually always cold feeling or numb.

Our sympathetic parasympathetic is out of whack. It is frustrating to keep up.

A lady I was taking care of had fm. it was almost funny she was chilled when I was hot and vice versa we never seemed to be in sink. I just had to laugh..

Same way at fm meetings 1 person was turning air up, then next person would turn it down.

What a hoot to be in a room with all fmers....Like jack rabbits with the air control... I used to get such a kick out of watching all of us nutty folks trying to control the temp in room.

We are a mess,,Geezzz
  3. EZBRUZR

EZBRUZR New Member

Some days I'm sure an alien life form is gonna pop out during sweat attack. I get so Hot SOOO Fast,sweat,then FreeeeZZZE.

I sleep w/Heavy blanket.Still kick on Mini Heater some nights as well,It's in the 80's at night!

Peace,
    eZ
  4. Pindooca

Pindooca New Member

Me too.

I've had iron-deficiency anemia for years and it's a contributor to the problem... but I'm sure it's not the only reason.
  5. CJR

CJR New Member

I am so glad to read your posts. I don't usually respond to much on here but I read it a lot. I have this problem too. Some times I get the chills so bad that I can not stop shaking. Then a few minutes later I am drenched in sweat. Doctor thinks it is still menopause but I am 5 years post menopausal and it was nothing compaired to this. I was also worried something else was wrong but it is good to know that it is just another symptom. Thanks to you all.
  6. pixipip

pixipip New Member

have jumpers ready in ever room in the house!
    Love & Light,
    Jacqui.
  7. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I had this same problem in spades until I started taking Armour Thyroid. Sometimes I lay awake all night shivering, despite heavy covers and a heated mattress pad.
    Within a week of my starting Armour it stopped and has not come back (over 3 months now). If you check out Dr. Bruce Rind's website, you will see this hot/cold stuff is a typical symptom of hypothyroid.
    Many of us have "normal" thyroid tests, but we still have thyroid resistance at a cellular level. Only alternative docs understand this and will treat your symptoms, not your test results.
    Klutzo
  8. kar1953

kar1953 New Member

I am so glad I'm not the only one with this weird symptom! Thought I was going crazy! (not a long trip! lol)

Klutzo, I'll check out the doc's website you mentioned. I don't get the chills as much as the sweats & like someone else mentioned I can be freezing 1 min. & just so quick get soooo hot. It's just plain weird.

Take care....Kathi
  9. MarilynK

MarilynK New Member

yes I got it to,
    mostly cold all the time .Ice cold feet and hands.
    Somtimes i do get the sweats, sweaters everywere and blankets.
    Take care

Marilyn
  10. elizabethia

elizabethia New Member

i take a sweater with me eveywhere i go just in case. and at nite it covers on covers off all night long... thats one of the resons i don't get much sleep i'm sure
  11. Bkay

Bkay New Member

I guess I am another one that has this, I thought i was crazy, I also sleep with a heavy blanket. Sometimes the chills are so bad that i shake..Then I might be so hot that I would like to take all my clothes off. I was put the blame on menopause, but might be just another sympton..Thanks for the post...Now I don't feel so bad..that someone else is going through this too....
  12. kar1953

kar1953 New Member

I also thought it was menopause but I didn't think you got the chills with that. Don't really know. I've had hot flashes & this is not the same. With hot flashes it's just my face (most of the time) that gets so hot. But with this stuff even my toes sweat! Aren't we lucky!

Take care...Kathi
  13. SPR30

SPR30 New Member

Hot, cold, hot, cold!!!!
    By the time I get comfortable I am uncomfortable again, so I fully understand. My feet stay cold and numb alot and my legs stay splotchy and have since I was a baby.
    (it doesn't help that I had a hyst last year and get hot flashed due to hormones too, UGH!)
  14. Member

Member New Member

Bumping to Kerrymygirl:

I was reading posts about chills and sweats and yes, I get that all the time. Thought it first it was menopause but other symptoms have disappeared. I'm either putting the sweather on and 5 minutes later taking it off. You mentioned FM meetings. Could you tell me more about those? Thanks......Member Pat
  15. kerrymygirl

kerrymygirl New Member

What would you like to know. If I can help... This happens not matter what age, most people I did work up at clinic brought it up.

These were diff. fm support group meetings. I used to tkae bets on who was going to change the control next.

Have a good cold,hot sweaty night. Who knows???
  16. cyolland

cyolland New Member

I am almost always out of sync.... It is so funny to be wearing a sweater and comfortable while outside at over 100. In fact it is much worse during the summer, when all of the ACs are on and blowing straight on me.
    The adrenal system controls much of temperature regulation, and with a new dx of Adrenal insufficiency... It is alittle more understandable, but it still doesn't help when my husband is sweating and threatening to put on a speedo if the temp doesn't go down....

Sweaters ho!
    Cynthia
  17. Shirl

Shirl New Member

You are not alone, as you can see. I have been going through this now for 16 years. I keep a sweather on the chair at all times. But I am more hot than cold.

Can't stand the house warmer than 70 degrees, yet I will get cold too. Crazy life we lead............

I am in Louisiana, its been near a 100degrees, and the humidity is near as high as the temperature!

I only go outside for short periods of time, then when I get back in the cold house I am sweating, then I am wet so I am freezing right behind the sweating!!

I am putting socks on and off all day, along with a sweather.

I could imagine a bunch of us the the same room!!! What a mess that would be.

I keep this house at 70 degrees year round. Never put heat on, can't stand the heat, plus it stuffs up my sinus.

Klutzo, will look up that site you mentioned. No one in my family ever had thyroid problems, but neither did they have FM either!

I would give anything not to keep going from hot to cold all the time!

I am not big on doctors, but I doubt if a thyroid test can be too much of a stressful thing? If it is, well I would just walk out the door :)

Shalom, Shirl

18. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

Hi Kathi,
    I live in England & 1 minute im freezing cold like a block of ice next minute im soo hot im sweating.
    I have Cfs & Fibro & I"ve had the chills & sweats since I was diax nearly 8 years ago.
    Don"t worry huni it"s normal for us to get this.
    Hugs ((((((((((((((((((((sharon d(UK)
  19. todayisagift

todayisagift New Member

What on earth is that! During the night I have night sweats, I don't know if its anxiety or what but I take 1mg sometimes 1 1/2 mg of Klonopin before bedtime and I still wake up with the hair all wet and everything it's so gross. I have this problem on and off and I can't figure it out.
    -Megan
  20. wle

wle New Member

always been high I have not suffered the chills so much just the sweating........But my new Dr. is bound and determinded to get that pesky blood pressure under control.
    My co workers were amazed today when I was freezing and looking for someone to loan me a sweater. Apparently the blood pressure is starting to go down......WLE