Anyone else get sick from second hand smoke?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sheryl, Apr 9, 2003.

1. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

Hi,
    I have become sort of a hermit because I get sick from second hand smoke so quickly. Within 2 days I have bronchitis type symptoms and have to stay in bed. So. basically I try to stay away from smoke. Okay, I had my daughter at an allergist yestersday for testing and was talking to him about my smoke problem because I had seen a commercial for a med that said it could help this. (He said he hates meds that advertise on TV). I told him how I react and he said "hmm...that is VERY unusual. That was the end of that subject. Now. I can't be the only one who gets sick from secondhand cigarette smoke. Isn't sensitivties to odors and inhalants something that goes with FMS?
    Thanks for listening,
    Sheryl
  2. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

Those are the two most frequent symptoms,that occur when I am exposed, but I really try not to be exposed..Usually, you can stay away from the smoke, since there are few places people can smoke, anymore..I have been tested out to be very allergic to it, when tested..and I imagine that most people on this site would have problems with it...
  3. SuzieQ

SuzieQ New Member

I don't usually end up with bronchitis, but I'm sure if I was prone to it I would get it. Just like my other allergens, being around smoke will cause me to have a headache, itchy throat, eyes...etc. The severity depends on length of exposure.

Susan
  4. scottabir

scottabir New Member

I get nuaseous and a bad headache. I finally got my husband to give it up, thankfully.

Abi
  5. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I get migraines from secondhand smoke. In fact, I get a migraine if I'm around anyone who smokes-----even if they're not smoking, but their clothes smell like smoke.
    Crummy, because as much as I try to stay away from it, sometimes it's out of my control.

Hugs,
    Pam
  6. aprilhuque

aprilhuque New Member

I just bought this product called Smoke Shield, it has like 13 natural herbs (rosemary, peppermint, i can't remember right this second, but i can look it up), and it helps.
  7. aprilhuque

aprilhuque New Member

I just bought this product called Smoke Shield, it has like 13 natural herbs (rosemary, peppermint, i can't remember right this second, but i can look it up), and it helps. CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT I LIVE IN HOLLYWOOD!!! IT IS KILLING ME, ALL OF THE CHEMICALS IN THE AIR!!!!! I only bought 2 sample sizes of this, so I should actually be taking double the dose that I am, and it helped the congestion and sinus pressure, gave me a little zip--but nothing i paid for later, it was weird . . .

i am NOT a distributor, nor involved in any way with the manufacturers, etc. I just had my first relatively pain free day in 10 years last week, and I went to a really neato health store and literally looked at every product. Left with an eye-ache (hahahahahahaha)

Love
    April Huque
  8. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

and perfume, gas fumes, air freshners--you name it. I feel like a bronchitis sets in and I cough terribly. The allergist says I'm highly sensitive to odors and it causes me a small upper airway asthma. I can breathe, but the odors irritate the small bronchial tubes and the cough and sometimes wheezing starts. I use a steroid inhaler daily, but there is no antihistamine pill or spray that can help allergies to odors, just avoidance. I would have to live in a glass bubble to stay away from life. I miss out on BBQ parties and many places because of my sensitivities. And I thought I was the only one with this problem. My family thinks I'm wierd. They can't understand why I avoid places. It's easy for them---because they don't suffer!
    Tania

9. little

little Member

My father died from second hand smoke. He was 93. My dad never smoked. My brother and his family lived with my dad for 18 years and they all smoked. Gail
  10. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

Thanks for all your responses. Glad to know I'm not alone but sorry you guys have problems with this too.

aprilhuque-
    Where did you get Smoke Shield? At the health food store?

Thanks again, Hugs,
    Sheryl
  11. KayL

KayL New Member

I'm an ex smoker, and a rabid one at that. LOL I cannot stand to be in places filled with smoke, and actually pretty much avoid them now. I feel sick when I'm around it, nauseous, headache, my sinus become congested, I'm coughing, and many times, end up with a sinus infection.

Karen
  12. klutzo

klutzo New Member

About 55% of Fibro folks develop MCS. You cannot be allergic to a chemical...it is called a sensitivity instead. The most likely culprit in cigarette smoke is formaldehyde. About one in five people is sensitive to formaldehyde to varying degrees. My problem has gotten so bad that I cannot bring a new piece of furniture in our home unless it has been out-gassed for at least a month. Even a new shower curtain must be hung outside for 3 days before I can bring it in. I must buy clothes at outlet stores, so they have been hanging around for awhile (pun on purpose -- groan). Our new city library was off limits to me for two full years, due to the carpets and furniture outgassing formaldehyde. If you are starting to develop this problem, you may notice that furniture stores or fabric stores are unbearable for you. The symptoms usually start with burning of the skin under your nose, then you get dizzy, nauseous, headachy, your blood pressure soars, your pulse drops, your nose bleeds, and you will go into shock if you don't get away at this point. Allergy pills will not work for this. Don't fool around with this, as it can be serious, and each increasing exposure will make the problem worse. Don't have new carpet or new cabinets installed. By carefully avoiding places where I'd be exposed, I have slowly gotten a bit better.
    In empathy,
    Klutzo
    [This Message was Edited on 04/10/2003]
  13. vinetti23

vinetti23 New Member

Yeah, I do get sick after about an hour in a bar... It's bad. And then when I drive home I feel shaky actually... like I smoked 100 cigarettes.

Way back when, I used to hang out at this bar on Sundays and then monday morning I'd get on the plane to go to work...(I had to travel for work all the time) well, inevitably - EVERY time i went to this bar & then flew the next day, I got a sinus infection. The residual toxins lodged in my sinuses combined with the dryness & pressure of the aircraft just ruined me. I had to stop going to that bar! Since then I have really been cognizent of the effect smoke has on me. I have to spend about 15 minutes outside for every 30 that I am in a bar. I am also somewhat sensitive to dry cleaning chemicals so I can't wear anything dry clean only to the bars or I'll get a double whammy!

I want to move to san fran where smoke is banned in bars!!! Well, I guess all of CA is like that now - woo hoo!
  14. Bellesmom

Bellesmom New Member

and my husband knows it. I have begged him not to smoke in the house but you know what? Every time I turn my back he has a cigarette lit in here altho he usually remembers to go outside when I'm here. It's gonna kill me and he could care less, I swear.

Something else that bothers me a lot is going into the area at the store where they sell fertilizers and all that stuff. I think I'm gonna die every time I get near there.

Some other odors bother me but not as much as those two listed above. I totally understand MCS but you know a lot of people aren't bothered by stuff and they're never gonna see it our way. It's really a tough world to live and survive in, huh?

Pam
  15. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

Yes. I wish I had the nerve to buy those smoker's
    fans that you turn on and blow the smoke back into
    the person's face. I don't have the nerve.
    I think I probably answer yes to every question
    posted here.
  16. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

Don't want to be anywhere near a smoker, now..but have not tested it since I have been on OLE, which prevents my migraines..Used to have to be in filtered air to prevent them, but have not this year...