Anyone else getting stupid?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dontlikeliver, Aug 18, 2003.

1. dontlikeliver

dontlikeliver New Member

Hi, I'm new here (you could say) - I joined up a couple of years back but cannot for the life of me remember what my username or password were, and I don't think I posted more than once or twice. So, I'm starting over.

Anyway, you may be wondering if my topic is a trick question. It isn't.

I did an IQ test online last week - BBC's test the nation. I scored a well below average. This is quite a blow as before the CFS (which I got in 1990) I recall having a test (way back) in high school which was 135.

So, has the CFS made me stupid? I don't "feel" more stupid, but I do need more time for some problem solving (obviously).

Has anyone else gotten stupid? Is it the CFS or lack of use of brain.
  2. monicacat

monicacat Member

You should eat organic blueberries every day, they have done extensive testing and it has been proven that they help brain function. I eat them every day and I can tell you that they help me. Do a google search on health effects of blueberries and read up.

Challenge you brain, do crossword puzzles, if you're right handed try using your left for some tasks.

I've done all these and it's helped me greatly.

3. dontlikeliver

dontlikeliver New Member

I will try that, but how much would I have to eat every day? (they are not always in season I don't think either).

4. pinkquartz

pinkquartz New Member

i also have noticed my brain funtion has declined loads. :-{

i have problems with my memory and also taking in new info.

i had some improvement when i began using armour thyroid for my hypothyroid instead of the thyroxine.

however i am finding more and more that despite using my brain its just not doing what it should do.

last week i listened to someone explain something to me and all i knew was i was NOt understanding what she was saying. and i was too embarrassed to say anything.

hope the cure isn't eating liver :-}

cheers, pinkquartz
  5. Coll29

Coll29 New Member

Welcome to the club, there is nothing scarier to me than loss of mental capacity. My doctor, whose wife had CFS/Fibro says you need to exercise your mind as much as possible. He suggested solitaire (computer has great varieties) as well as crossword puzzles, reading, learning, playing games. The more you use it the better shape you'll be in. Mild dementia can be part of this illness but it is not a deteriorating factor like alzheimers. Hang in there.
  6. dontlikeliver

dontlikeliver New Member

I've never been one for solitaire or other solitary games, but perhaps I'd better get liking it pretty quickly.

I do read a lot, if not books, then magazines and websites for hours ever day. I have no problem understanding things I'm interested in - like finding a cure for myself (and others). But, anything else that I am not interested in I just cannot take in unless I read it about 10 times.

If liver turned out the be the cure ;) I guess I'd change my name to ILOVELIVER :)

7. Pindooca

Pindooca New Member

I wouldn't call it stupidity, because if I really apply myself I can usually perform well. I'm more what you'd call "thick" or "dense." I lose things, or put things away in the wrong spot. Or call people I know by the wrong name.

The other day I opened the cupboard and found a quart of milk.

8. tjlibby

tjlibby New Member

I forget alot of stuff that was the reason I left my job-I couldn't remember. I read a book and forget whats in it. Teri
  9. dontlikeliver

dontlikeliver New Member

to "normal" brainfog. For me, brainfog is a separate issue. When I did this IQ test was on a good day - no brainfog over all. I was just too "stupid" to get the right answers, at least not quickly enough. I am just slower and not as clever as I used to be I guess.

Yes, I also get brainfog, but I think it's different than "being stupid on a clear day"..
  10. Hinemoa

Hinemoa New Member

excellent advice.

I was prompted to do crosswords and I detested them. I graduated from leaving them on the table all day and using a pencil (and erasing 'til the paper had holes in it) to using pen and feeling disgusted if it took me more than 7 minutes to finish. I do word puzzles (Jumbles) and the letters seem to arrange themselves.

I can read "difficult" books now and though it takes extra time and effort I feel the need to keep trying.

I admit that I still can't understand the simplest instructions or take in long sentences. I fade out in group discussion and lose my place in conversation. And I have trouble finding the "word" I want. And I have to find my way home by landmarks. I would NEVER attempt to travel on the highway, my reflexes are too slow.

The secret is..."KEEP AT IT." As Churchill said, "Nevah, Nevah, Nevah give up!"

I would suggest that you get a crossword book that starts off with easy puzzles, and...

Welcome to the board,

Edited: By the way I'm lousy at tests now. I have forgotten facts and figures that I know I knew at one time.
    "Fail to let it bother you old Horse!"

S.[This Message was Edited on 08/18/2003]
  11. dontlikeliver

dontlikeliver New Member

I had some that someone gave me years ago when I was pregnant and on a 16-week bedrest...I never did them and just found them again last year. I gave them to my neighbor as she likes them.

But, I am definitely going to give it a try now - and the bluberries. (and I bet their cheaper than Gingko Biloba)..Plus their low-carb which is what I should be eating. Thank goodness the remedy wasn't jam-donuts! :)

Thanks for the welcome.
  12. dontlikeliver

dontlikeliver New Member

Although I was shocked to find that mine was MUCH more than 20 points less than I was before. I am going to try it again soon though.
  13. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I had thought I was losing my brains completely over the past few years. In the third stage of this illness our pain usually lessens but our brain is attacked, and we can really seem stupid in comparison to who we were before. We may not be any ditzier than normals, but we have much higher standards! There is even a saying about this for those who belong to the "over 10 club" for having had fibro more than 10 yrs. It goes: "I can stand the pain, but I NEED my brain!"
    I really would not trust online tests. I had in person Neuropsychological testing, where they won't even let you use pencil and paper for the math part of the IQ test, and when I got out of there, I was a blithering idiot. However, it turned out my IQ has only dropped from 140 to 134. While even this little bit is abnormal for someone under age 65, it does not begin to account for the ditziness I have developed.
    I think it is something else happening, like the hypoxia to certain areas of the brain, which has been proven in fibro, and which showed up as predicted when I had brain mapping. Hypoxia would temporaily make you stupid, but you would not necessarily be as stupid tomorrow, and you would not necessarily always be stupid in the same ways. In otherwords, it could move, and be temporary depending upon the ebb and flow of the illness. In my support group we called this problem "Sometimers Disease".
    You might look into Neurobiofeedback ,which claims to be able to fix our brain problems and put us back to normal. It is VERY expensive and not covered by insurance. More and more Neurologists are learning how to do it. We had one man here who was cured by it. I know of several people, by heresay, who say it cured them as long as they kept it up, but they could not afford to do that.
    You are certainly not alone in having this problem. I know how embarrassing it is, and I empathize. Here's a big (((HUG)))
  14. nickname

nickname New Member

.......I am sitting here hysterical with laughter and tears rolling down my cheeks!!!!!!! I loved your reply. I'm so happy to know that I won't be as stupid tomorrow as I am today, and maybe not in the same way another day - my stupidity could move. I love, love, love it. Answers all my questions, and I have printed off a copy of your reply for my husband! I nearly always say to him, "come back tomorrow if you want me to answer that/give you an opinion, whatever, etc."

I do know that you gave a first rate, scientific reason for our stupidity, which I do suffer from, but not all the time, and not always in the same way. Oh boy, if we don't laugh about our illness, it will surely polish us off, so huge thanks for that. I think once we know the reasoning behind it, then can laugh about it, it takes the pressure off, and we then feel less stupid. Took me years to work that out whilst hiding behind the embarrasement of blank expressions and my sieve brain as I called it.

With best wishes

BILLCAMO New Member

[This Message was Edited on 08/19/2003]
  16. pammy52

pammy52 New Member

Haven't done any IQ testing. Just went for memory testing
    2 weeks ago. Have to wait til next month to have follow up
    appt.. Felt I did well on some parts but others, such as
    repeating back a short story and drawing the hands on a
    clock to represent the time verbally given to me made me
    feel as though I was way stupid.
    I started doing crossword puzzles and word jumbles several times a week about a year ago. Also I find the more I
    challenge myself to learn how to do something new with the
    computer the sharper I feel.
    Interestingly enough, I struggle with the routine activities
    in my daily life and my job.The simplest things oftem seem completely foreign to me.
    When I am challenged with new job skills I seem stay more
    focused and engaged.
    Takes my mind off the pain and fatigue?
    It is definitely short term memory and simple thought processes that I struggle with.
    And yes it is a moment to moment day to day "how stupid am I
    right now" existance.
  17. libra55

libra55 New Member

Yeah, I definitely do feel that I'm not as sharp as I once was. My daughter took a neuropsychological exam (she has Asperger's syndrome, a form of mild autism) and the examiner went over her exam with me, and I thought to myself, my gosh I wouldn't be able to even do half of these things!

Who knows what causes this? Maybe we will never know. I try to keep my mind sharp. I watch Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy, and I do word searches and crossword puzzles a lot. I read books, even though it's very hard for me to comprehend. Sometimes I have to go really slowly and reread parts of the book so I can remember it. Often I just have to put the book down and rest my eyes. I make myself do the math with a pencil and paper rather than using the calculator, so I will remember how to do math.

I think so much of our energy goes into fighting our pain and fatigue that it takes it out of our brain.

18. sumbuni

sumbuni New Member

The first time I felt stupid happened when my children became teenagers!! Happened suddenly, went to bet smart and woke up stupid...according to my teen's evaluation! (((that's why I'm smiling)))

When they got older I got smarter...and seems to have happened for real!

The truth is, I have so much trouble thinking, remembering, finding...just plain old USING the brain, it scares me! For real! I'm alone now, and work in a factory as an hourly laborer and can hardly keep up anymore, and I have 15 years experience as office personel but if I could get a job in an office, I'm afraid that I wouldn't be able to function well enough mentally to KEEP IT! I worry about keeping the production operator's position I have now!

19. deepthinker

deepthinker New Member

I too feel that it is scary to think we are not as sharp as we once was. I went back to college in 1993. It was difficult to keep up and I taped every lecture I attended in the six years it took me to get my degree. I graduated in 1999 as one of four valedictorians. My degree is in Elementary Education with a minor in Psychology. Today I can't remember how to do simple math. I was never very good at English and Grammar but now I have everything and anything I write checked for errors by my 14 year old daughter. Yesterday I was talking on the phone and a thought came to mind, I needed to call my mother and tell her something, can't remember what it was now, I wrote a note to remind me what it was and then finished talking. I never moved from the spot I was in when I wrote the note but it took me an hour to find the note I had written down just minutes before. I do things like this all the time. My husband has taken over all the bills because I can't remember to pay them, sometime can't remember how to write a check out. Even the simplest taks has become hard because I just can not put thoughts together to accomplish anything. Some days it is worse than others but even on my best days, I forget how to do stuff. I do word puzzles, crossword puzzles, word seeks, even logic puzzles on a daily basis but it hasn't really helped a whole lot. Fibro fog, or I'm getting dumber, I don't know which but I don't like it at all. (If this looks like I wrote it with no mistakes, guess again, my daughter edited it before I was able to send it. Oh to be young again!
  20. Spoclar

Spoclar New Member

I've got to get to work so I didn't read every post above in detail - I apologize if someone already mentioned this...I love blueberries but hey, I've got IBS!!! A cup a day would put me in the bathroom for hours on end!! Anyone considering this amount should try working up to it gradually especially if they may be prone to IBS or related conditions.