Anyone else going out for New Year's Eve?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by DazedAndSpacey, Dec 27, 2009.

1. DazedAndSpacey

DazedAndSpacey New Member

So my neighbor and her family want us to go out to a town 90 minutes away for New Year's Eve. My husband and I are really close with them and it sounds like fun....on paper. The drive to and from would really wipe me out and I know I'd be a stick in the mud. Not to mention dressing up, dancing, etc. I won't be able to keep up with anyone. Plus, being 90 minutes away from home if I'm too tired is enough to give me panic attacks.

Before you ask, no we can't stay the night there. We have a dog. And since our neighbor is the one who normally takes care of him, I know that's out.

My neighbor and her family know I have some health issues but they don't fully understand. Plus, I don't want to sound like I'm making excuses, which I know it will. They're very understanding and caring and I hate to disappoint anyone.

It's so frustrating. I feel like I've had the "fun" switch turned off in me. Instead of getting excited at the idea of spending an evening with friends I think about my limitations and if I should push it?

Anyone else going to do anything fun? How do you get through things like this?
  2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I am not doing anything for New Year' one is around and even if they were I would not be up for much of anything.....if people were around and if I felt up to it, I would probably try to have a game night - and preferably at someone's else's place, if I could manage that without totally rudely inviting myself and others somewhere (my place is very small and if it were somewhere else I wouldn't have to worry about trying to clean, having food and drinks, etc & being exhausted and in pain as a result) - games that do not require much thinking are great, bc they are low key, sitting down, and brain fog does not have to be a problem (whereas it might be during a nt with much causal conversation or thinking games or other activities)

the kind of night you are talking about would be completely impossible for me - could not even handle the drive getting there, let alone all the rest and then getting back home

If you think that it would be really tough but doable and worth it, then go for it....if you think that it would be too hard and you would be paying for it too long after, then tell your neighbor that you really love the idea and don't want to let them down, but there is just no way that you are physically up for it - maybe you could suggest an alternative that would work better for you
  3. shaz73

shaz73 New Member

Sounds like quite a journey just for a party to me. Luckily I have been invited to a party around a friends flat which is in walking distance of my flat. Thats enough distance for me!

I guess its up to you - only you know your own limits. If you have plenty of time to rest before and after the party then it may be more managable. Isnt it annoying having to constantly be thinking about whether you can do things or not, and having to turn down stuff you really want to do? I find it very frustrating.

Have a good time if you go!

4. Cole1983

Cole1983 New Member

Hey i know how you feel abt traveling. I am going to my boyfriends parents house 2 1/2 hrs away for New Years. Iv made the drive many times before but the biggest thing i can suggest is stop along the way and stretch. Its important for me cause it helps with my spasms and stiffness. Im always thinging abt how the travel will impact my fibro also. I just make sure i have my medication and i rest when i get there. Hope this helps. (((((hugs))))))
  5. hi all,
    im planning on going out new years eve with my daughter,to the pub,and there will be a group singing 70,s looking forward to it.

i do know from past experience that i am likely to have muscle spasms in my head if i get too upset or to excited.thats part of this illness im affraid.

so im telling myself that no matter what,stick to drinking archers aqua (peach flavour),thats the only drink i seem to be able to cope with.

try not to get overly excited such as shouting,yelling, with the joys of the event lol.

if theres any fighting among folk,i need to stay away from it else my throat muscles tighten up.(i have asthma).

my hubby is staying home (his choice),he doesnt do noise and dancing.

i will be resting as much as possible in the next few days,in order to build up body strength,ready for my night out.

wish me luck all,and i hope you have a happy new years eve.

6. DazedAndSpacey

DazedAndSpacey New Member

I think we decided not to go anywhere. Maybe take out and an old bottle of champagne I've had for a while. First time we haven't done anything in years. But as tired as I've been this week I know tomorrow would be too tough.