Anyone else had stress test for heart???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rosetta, Dec 12, 2002.

1. Rosetta

Rosetta New Member

Yesterday I had a stress test for my heart and had to run/walk on a treadmill for about 5 minutes. Well today I can barelly move. My legs, back, knee, and ankles hurt so bad I cannot sleep and I am extremely fatigued. My question is if exercise is good for us, then why am I feeling so horrable. I know you have to build up to exercise, but I was only on the treadmil for about 5 minutes. I only walked until the last minute and it was increased to a brisk walk.

2. Rosetta

Rosetta New Member

Yesterday I had a stress test for my heart and had to run/walk on a treadmill for about 5 minutes. Well today I can barelly move. My legs, back, knee, and ankles hurt so bad I cannot sleep and I am extremely fatigued. My question is if exercise is good for us, then why am I feeling so horrable. I know you have to build up to exercise, but I was only on the treadmil for about 5 minutes. I only walked until the last minute and it was increased to a brisk walk.

3. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

I was wondering how your stress test went. They did mine by IV and I didnt have to walk the treadmill. Who is your doc? email me when your up to it.
    Carla
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

After I got up to my target heart rate, I kept going until they had a good reading and they asked if I was ready to quit. I could have gone on, but I figured why push it and since they were satisfied, I quit. I told them beforehand that I have FMS and CFS. I actually felt well afterward, but I was having a good day that day. I did rest up the day before so I wouldn't feel too tired the day of the test. I passed with flying colors.

Love, Mikie
  5. ZosoLight

ZosoLight New Member

Hi-

Left side of my chest hurts a lot. Burning, dull pain on and off at times. Low grade pain most of the time.

I am going to a cardiologist.

Paul
  6. CelticLadee

CelticLadee New Member

I was hospitalized in July with an abnormal EKG, high blood pressure and chest pain. I had the stress test done at that time and was fatigued. (at that time didn't know I had symptoms of CFS) But I did okay - no heart problems showed up but it did cause me fatigue & muscle pain afterward. In Sept. they wanted to repeat the test and do a cardiogram immediately afterwards to see the heart functioning after stress. I was having a "good day" and felt quite normal and did the stress test 9 minutes and the cardiogram showed my heart was normal. I felt great & didn't have a reaction to all that exercise afterwards either. It is ironic that the day before yesterday I felt just as good as that day and went out to do early morning shopping for a few hours. The next day I crashed big time and am just coming out of it now. You just never know when this disease is going to rear its ugly head do ya?
  7. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

Ihad a stress test this past summer. The reason was because I had been suffering from extreme shortness of breath for a few months. I also had to walk/run on the treadmill. I had the EKG stuff wired to me and a blood pressure cuff. Even though I had been exercising regularly on a treadmill, I had trouble on the test. At first they had me walking, but then they "upped" the pace and I thought I was going to pass out. Finally I had to stop. My results came back normal and I think the shortness of breath was due to extreme anxiety. I feel better now.

As far as exercise being good for us, that is true. BUT - you have to pace yourself. Obviously running briskly on a treadmill is not pacing yourself, especially if you're not used to it. We have to be very careful. When I started going to the gym and walking on the treadmill, I could only walk for 5 minutes. After a few times I could increase, and finally I was able to get up to 30 minutes each time. It helps me a great deal as it keeps my muscles stretched and toned. But you have to build up to it. If you can't walk, light stretching is also good.

What were the results of your test?

Annette2
  8. pearls

pearls New Member

Yes, I've had a stress test. I've also had the nuclear stress test, and an echocardiogram, AND a heart catheterization (where they send a miniature t.v. camera up your femoral artery - from the groin area - and actually take pictures of your heart at work). I had all of this because the main symptom of my fibro was deep, debilitating chest pain, only I didn't know I had fibromyalgia yet. From glancing around the message board, I notice I'm not the only one who has had chest pain as their main symptom. By the way, nobody has yet found any serious problem with my heart.

My fibro been diagnosed now for about a year and a half, so I have this symptom under control - though not gone. The biggest trouble is that people with fibromyalgia also can develop heart problems like the rest of the population. The "lay" literature always stress the importance for seeking medical attention for ANY chest pain. My goodness! For those of us with fibromyalgia for which the main symptom is chest pain, we might as well move into the emergency ward if we took that advice! I've told my doctor that if I did have a heart attack, I'd probably not recognize it!

By the way, there is no such thing as a "Clean Bill of Health." All any test can tell you is that whatever was tested came up negative. That's fine and dandy, but consider the following: There are false positives and there are lots of tests that only give results for a limited range of what could go wrong with your heart or whatever. I don't say this to scare anyone, but simply to help you understand what getting a medical test means. On the good side, a test may catch something that needs repair, monitoring, or whatever.
  9. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I had one in 1996, when I didn't know any better.
    I exercise 6 X weekly, but the speed of the treadmill during the test and the degree of incline are way beyond normal. I only lasted 7 minutes, which is not very good at all for someone who exercises. My 78 yr. old MIL who never exercises lasted 8 minutes!
    I wonder if any of you have read the research on this. Stress tests for women have been judged as useless unless you are hooked up to an echocardiograph rather than an eletcrocardiogram machine, or unless you have the PET scan of the heart after being injected with Thallium, as I did. Even if it is done correctly, a stress test increases your chance of having a heart attack for two weeks afterwards. I personally know two people who aced their stress tests, doing better than I did, but had heart attacks within two weeks following the test. The release they make you sign saying you understand that the test may cause a heart attack should be warning enough.
    I will insist on a Transcranial Doeppler (TCD) of my arteries next time this is brought up. It's only a bit more expensive and is not at all dangerous. I had one done in 1994. It is an ultrasound of the arteries in your neck, and yes, you can have blockage elsewhere, but in general, if you have no blockage at all in your neck, you probably won't have a major problem elsewhere. You can watch your arteries on TV while they do it, while lying on a table. My hubby has a friend who insists they can now do ultrasound of all the arteries in your body, but my cardiologist denies this. The friend still insists that he just had it done, and there was nothing invasive about it. If true, this is something to look forward to for those of us at high risk.
    Klutzo
    [This Message was Edited on 12/13/2002]
  10. Rosetta

Rosetta New Member

The reason for the stress test was shortness of breath, and chest pressure. When I lay down it feels like something is laying on my chest. I also have shortness of breath if I walk up steps or run to answer the phone. It was so bad that when I answered the phone, I could not talk.

I dont have the results yet but should get them next week.
  11. queenbee69

queenbee69 New Member

have had an iv.and nuclear stress test done. My symtoms were shortness of breath and dizziness. I have atriel tachnacardia(rapid heart beat) and mytro-valve prolapse. I am currently on two different medications. I exercise no less then every other day. My favorite is my total gym. I get my strength training and great streaching.....queenbee
  12. cls

cls New Member

I had been complaining to my primary for a while about palpitations and was put on a monitor for a week. I was having two types of heart beat abnormalities, so was sent for a stress test and echocardiogram. No abnormalities were found on the test, but I sure was suffering afterwards. Tremendous muscle and foot pain for two days following. Found out afterwards I also have disk problems lower back which was causing my foot pain and the stress test probably aggravated that. I take verapamil for the arrythmias and do ok with that now.

[ advertisement ]