anyone else have cfs/fibro AND herpes?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Chilene, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Chilene

Chilene New Member

argh...

it's hard enough to live with the cfs/fibro and herniated cervical discs... but began having herpes five years ago(mainly genital but i've gotten a few horrid oral outbreaks last summer).

(bear w/ me if you've heard me post some of this before), but...

i have the g. herpes at least once a month! (the longest i've gone w/out is like 2 months)... sometimes one outbreak just runs into the next. then factor in that i am allergic to all antivirals (all meds, herbs, lysine, homeopathic! lately... can almost handle ibuprofin w/benadryl)... and (sorry if this is too detailed)... but any kind of sex just starts an outbreak as well, it seems!

and i'm about to get out of a long-distance relationship... (at least all this health stuff was all "understood" already!... i'm so scared to break it off with this guy--it really isn't working)... mainly because i don't know how many people i might want to date in the future will be accepting of all these health issues (and i thought it was bad when it was just cfs!)

anyone else deal with both issues/dating?

;) fibrohugs--
    chilene

2. cct

cct Member

You will really need to be super careful about eating foods with high L-Arginine because this amino acid can contribute to herpes replication and outbreaks.

Also, there are some over-the-counter topical ointments that can help with blisters.

Once upon a time, I read about some people who used ice cubes on their blisters to reduce the eruption. ( ! ! ! )
  3. Chilene

Chilene New Member

cct--

nice to "meet" you!

ah, yes... those L-Arginine foods... somewhere i have a list of the offenders and for awhile i tried to stick to it, but it included 2/3 of my diet!...

but i DO think that when i avoided chocolate and nuts it may have helped! thanks so much for that reminder!

and here's a weird thing. not sure if it's directly related to any outbreaks... but as much as i love kombucha tea (and it's supposed to be so great for people)... i find i've gotten viruses after starting to drink it (and i don't even drink a whole bottle), on both occasions (could be that "you get worse before better" and die-off reaction thing...). but i just started drinking that before getting quite sick this week, in conjunction with the outbreak.

thanks for all your thoughts!

;) fibrohugs,
    chilene
  4. GigglePoet

GigglePoet New Member

HI Chilene,
  5. GigglePoet

GigglePoet New Member

HI Chilene,
    I do! except for mine is HHV-6 and since last year I have had trouble with breaking out in shingles. I to have CFS,Fibromyalgia, but I also have EBV,EI,MCS and Major Depression and Candidiasis. I have been on Valtrex and start breaking out the minute I go off of it.This last time I will be on month and then try to go off of again so we will see. I did eat a lot of chocolate after christmas and have been eatting lots of nuts. I guess I didn't do myself a favor there.
    I am married and have 3 children 2 of which are out on their own now. I have lately understood how unhappiness in my married life has helped make me sick so I am glad to hear that you are moving on from a relationship you are not happy in. I understand your worry and not wanting to be alone, but who knows what strength you might find in yourself that you didn't know you had after you say your goodbyes. Anyone who loves you in the future will except you with all your flaws and short comings and will do what they have to,to be with you.

God bless and keep you
    Hugzzzzzzzz Dee
  6. LouiseK

LouiseK New Member

I have DFS and Fibro and I've been struggling with an almost constant outbreak of herpes for a year. Correct -- sex is out of the question as I only have to think about it to get an outbreak. I think the CFS is what is making me so vulnerable to this. Anyway . . .

I take medications (for all they do) BUT I suggest you try this as it really does help me:

The second you feel anything apply one of those cold-packs with the soft covers that you keep in the freezer. I cover mine with a thin cotton cloth. You don't want to freeze your skin because that can hurt it but just take the cold pack out for 10 minutes before applying and then leave it on for 15 minutes or so. Try to do this about three times a day. Someone on this site did suggest ice for cold sores and I have also read that the virus DIES immediately at cold or even room temperature. Well, I figured the body is warmer than that but what if it was chilled down for a while?

I really believe this helps in my case.

Good luck -- I sympathize -- it's insult to injury with all these DD's, right?
  7. Chilene

Chilene New Member

why thanks about the rose otto! i hadn't even heard of it. high chance i'll be allergic to it (like every other herb). currently i'm trying a bit of apple cider vinegar.

will try the rose otto! sorry it took so long to get back.

hugs!
    chilene

8. Chilene

Chilene New Member

thank you SO much for your words (sorry for such a delay in responding)!

each time one of you reminds me to have faith and self-respect... it holds alot of power for me!

many big hugs!

chilene
  9. Chilene

Chilene New Member

i did know about the ice (tried it with varying degrees of help)... but i never thought about how important it would be to not put it directly on the skin. i will do this from now on!

grateful!

hugs;)
    chilene
  10. ILM

ILM New Member

I have the cold sore kind of herpes. My CFS first started around the same time I got my first cold sore.

I use a cream that has Lysine, Tea tree oil, olive oil and some other homeopathic stuff in it. It is awesome.
    I use it along with Zovirax.

Zovirax is awesome. It will kill the sore within a day.

As a matter of fact I have never had to get a scrip b/c the drug rep sample size is enough to use on several outbreaks.

You have to be carefuil not to dry the skin out with zovirax though, it will peel and be sore if you overdo the zovirax and don't moisturize.

I always get the sores on my nose and I always get them after i've been sick for a day or two...I guess that's why they call them cold sores and fever blisters. haha.
  11. SleepyMama

SleepyMama New Member

I got my first outbreak since I was 15, just a couple weeks ago. I think I'm doin' ok. So I guess I'm not very helpful then. I use Melaleuca oil on the sores. It's soothing and has anti-viral properties.
  12. Chilene

Chilene New Member

ILM--

do you use the Zovirax cream?... i have a friend that used to swear by that.

i'm guessing i can't use that EITHER as i am quite allergic to the Zovirax tabs... but i could always play that game where i take benadryl and it minimizes the reaction some...

the doctors never wanted to give me the cream as they said it didn't suppress like the capsules... but wouldn't it be better than nothing?! lol; western docs...

thank you!;)
    chilene
  13. Chilene

Chilene New Member

hmmm...

another thing to try! melaleuca oil! will do!

btw... i love your bio photo/art! (i take photos and do collage greeting cards that i sell sometimes. also curious about your home business as i am always looking for new ideas).

your kids are adoarble!

thank you, sleepymama...

blessings and fibrohugs!
    chilene
  14. ILM

ILM New Member

zovirax cream. Actually it comes in 2 forms, a cream and an oitment. One works better but I can't remember which :D.
    I've thought about asking about the pills so I could avoid the outbreaks all together, esp. since I get them on my nose, they look awful, esp when they are in the "seeping" stage. UGH!!

That cream is no joke though. Where as OTC creams take about a week to work, this stuff will have the sore drying up by the end of the day.
  15. Dixie_Amazon

Dixie_Amazon Member

Be sure to start at the first tingle and you can avoid any lesion lesion sometimes. I also take l-lysine.