ANYONE ELSE HAVE FLAT FEET THAT ARE KILLING THEM??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by stinker56, Mar 27, 2007.

1. stinker56

stinker56 New Member

I can't find any shoes that don't hurt my feet anymore. It feels as though the bones are going to come through the bottom of my feet.
    I tried on some of the Birkenstock with the soft footbeds and even those hurt.
    Anyone have any suggestions?
    I work in an office but can wear just about anything I want to wear as long as they don't hurt.
    Stinker56
  2. csl521

csl521 New Member

I know it may sound weird but sometimes a softer foot bed isn't great, especially if the soles are flimsy. A harder more sturdy sole may be better for you. If you can bend the shoe more than just a little bit at the ball of the foot on the sole, then the shoe isnt going to support you well and chances are you'll have foot pain.

I have the flattest feet in the world I think. I've had the worst pain in my feet, I even had surgery to correct some of the extra flatness caused by an extra bone in the arch of my foot. So I've got way too much experience on this level.

Have you gone to a podiatrist? I have custom orthotics from my podiatrist that I put in my sneakers and they really help a lot because they give your arches support. And when the feet are well supported so are the knees, hips, back, neck etc. And if there's anything else wrong with the foot, especially if you're having a lot of pain, a podiatrist would really be able to help.

I wear new balance sneakers, the top walking shoe, expensive but worth it. I also wear Dansko clogs. Dansko's are fabulous!!!! They were originally designed for nurses to give them support while on their feet all day, and they now have a ton of styles and colors, all of which give great suppport. I wear the "professional" (thats the shoe's name) clog. And I wear them every single day. And I have a very active job (i'm a physical therapist, and I work in a hospital so I'm on my feet, walking, getting patients out of bed etc) And for me to wear a shoe all day without my orthitics and my feet NOT hurt is a complete miracle.

Again, expensive ($100 and up a pair) but WELL WORTH IT. They're really well made and last forever. I had my first pair almost 5 years and the only reason I got new ones was because the leather upper was getting really ratty, the sole was still in great shape. And again, I wear them constantly!

Hope that helps!

3. gnanny

gnanny New Member

I have tried the Birkenstocks and those were too hard.

There is a soft and lightweight athletic shoe called Spira that work well but they arent cheap.

My sister bought me a pair of Crocs and insisted I try them. Well as long as I dont look down I can wear them. They are so ugly but they are so comfortable. Light as air.
    Soft enough for my princess and the pea feet.
    They are inexpensive, durable, easy to clean (hose them off) and come in a multitude of colors.

They are also recommended by the arthritis association.

I hope you find something comfortable, take care.
    Stephanie