**Anyone else have issues with QUEST Labs???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by goaska29, Dec 3, 2005.

1. goaska29

goaska29 New Member

So I live 4 hours from the closest FFC. The doctor mailed me the list of necessary tests I needed to have done (lyme, EBV, HHV6, mycoplasma, etc). She told me that I could go to any Quest Lab (the lab the FFC uses) to have it done. I went to the closest Quest Lab to my home, and they told me they did not even know what some of the tests were and some of them they claimed they "don't do at Quest Labs".

I'm so frustrated! I feel like the only way to get the correct tests is to make the 4 hour drive to the Lab at the FFC.

I'm going to try my hand at another Quest on Monday before I make the drive. This one is associated with GWU hospital, and a bit more reputable than the "neighborhood" one I went to yesterday.

Anyone else have these issues?

-GoAskAlice
  2. LISALOO

LISALOO New Member

I've gone to two, one in Wauwatosa WI and one in Rockford Il, both about 80 miles from me. The only test they couldn't do was the nasal swap. They also conviently forgot to do the candida test and only did the mycoplasma pnuemonia test not the clymedia pnuenomia. I even faxed everything in before I went so they could be prepared. The first lab crossed it out on the doctors orders. I checked with the Cleveland FFC and they didn't have it crossed out. That's why I ended up going to the second lab. I was not happy to go that far again. I'm 8 hours from an FFC.

The only other problem I had was with my last lab with two tests, they didn't submit to insurance. But I e-mailed them, they said they got my insurance info and will resend. It only took them a day.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/03/2005]
  3. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

I've had a couple of problems. The first was that at the lab I went to the tech could not get into my vein! I hate having my blood drawn to begin with. She was poking around and moving the needle this way and that!

I told her that was enough, take it out, I'm done. She said I have scar tissue making it difficult. Pleeeeease! I have my blood drawn regularly at a cancer institute. They have no problemo whatsoever.

So, a few days later, after I collected myself, I found another Quest lab. I told her how upset I had been, and she guaranteed she would not "fish". She did a pretty good job.

At the second lab, she did have some paper-trail problems. Because my order was from out of state, because she didn't know what a candida test was, (neither did the first Quest lab), and due to Medicare something. To her credit, she did take the time and pursue to find the right codes, etc.

I went there again for my Lyme test which needed to be sent to Igenex Lab in a mailer package. Again, she did not know the procedure, but did call to find out how to handle it.

I definately feel more confident when I'm at the FFC Quest Lab. The technicians are very caring and concerned, they do a great job with the blood draw, and they take care of the bureaucratic part.

Best wishes,
    Hopeful4
  4. Musica

Musica New Member

It all depends on the technician as far as how good the blood draw is! One of the best I have had is at Quest.

The other day, one gal at Quest was on the phone quite awhile, trying to figure out how to do the labs for someone, or whatever. SO, my thought is, if they don't know what it is or how to code it, they should get on the phone! Call the FFC to see what they are, if not a main Quest lab, to get what they need. You shouldn't have to drive that far just to have the FFC do a blood draw.
  5. goaska29

goaska29 New Member

Thank you all for your input. I think I'll call the lab at the FFC on Monday and have them fax all the necessary codes and so forth to my local Quest lab...since they are also Quest, I would imagine the codes would be the same.

The doctor wrote out the lab request on Nov 15th....it's taken this long to get it all straight. I just don't want to put it off any longer.

Thanks again for your input.

-GoAskAlice
  6. dobrydy

dobrydy New Member

Please go online with quest labs. They have list of tests they do and you can pick out exactly what you need. It also states what kind of tube to be used in blood drawing. Regular phlebotomist usually does not know beyond the most common tests, and everything more challenging has to be looked up by the person from the reference lab. Please print out your tests and bring to a phlebotomist. It is going to save you both a lot of aggravation. Besides, they usually overdraw and knowing what sample to use allows them to combine several tests in one tube.