Anyone Else Have Nightime/Sleep Anxiety?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Leenerbups, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

I used to love to go to sleep. To curl up and go off to blissfull la-la land.

Now, i dread it. I wake often from vivid dreams or nightmares, sometimes waking with anxiet attacks or waking up with horrible thoughts like thinking I am dying ( I don't know if I am having pains in the night that is causing this)

AM I the only one?

It horrible :-( Going to bed is like sentancing myself to a night in a dark, scary place.
  2. rubysmom

rubysmom New Member

I have had this happen to me for 2 different reasons. I

used to have so much anxiety I could not go to sleep, I

was fixated on death, and it was horrible. Recently I

started a new med, percocet, and had some horrible

tormenting nightmares at first. I continued on the med

and the nightmares have now stopped.

I hope this helps, Tammy
  3. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I don't have the nightmares, but I was waking up very anxious. I would jump up out of bed and pace around. I felt short of breath and panicky.

I was so dreading going to bed at night. It is getting a little better. I did alot of talking to myself - telling myself everything would be ok.

Also, I discovered I have gastric reflux and I believe it was causing alot of the problem. I now take 30 mg of Prevacid twice a day and it did help me at night. Also, I have to sleep on my back slightly elevated.

Sleeping my back is a problem because it causes me to snore, and that wakes me up with a start.

I had no idea I have gastric reflux, it was diagnosed with I had a colonoscopy - the doctor suggested we do a endoscopy while I was out. He saw I had a small hietal hernia and the GERD.

I also have asthma and that may have caused the "short of breath" problem?? However I don't have it now -- I am getting better.

I take 5 mg of Ambien at night also have a light snack before bed. (Low blood sugar can cause panicky feelings).

[This Message was Edited on 07/19/2005]
  4. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one. I thought I was going crazy or actually dying.

My doctor has been trying to get me on a anti depresant for it, but my system won't tolerate them.
  5. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

for the past few weeks - I actually sat bolt upright in bed the other night and said to my husband 'I'm dead' I am at the point where I'm frightened to go to sleep too. I have a bad enough time with sleep disturbance without this.

I went to doc yesterday and he thinks it's sleep apnea because I cant get my breath - I'm on the list for a home test machine. He says it could be an extreme form as many people have it but it doesnt waken them up, they only find out because they are so tired next day.

I wake up several times catching my breath and usually one time I wake up with a start and sit up and it's scary and horrible.

I heard it might be GERD but I dont have acid reflux.

Next time you wake up see if you are breathless or not. Sleep apnea is very common in people with this illness.

Also I sleep with a small nightlight on, it doesnt bother my husband and it is soothing for me to be able to see when I have bad dreams or this new thing.

Let me know how you go.

Rosie
    [This Message was Edited on 07/20/2005]
  6. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I only take a painkiller at night, nothing else.

Rosie
  7. tamsyn

tamsyn Member

Hi! I suffered from these kind of problems too: waking up breathless and panic-y, being in a weird nightmare state where I knew I was dreaming but I couldn't either wake up or go into deep sleep etc. Now I take 300 mg of Gabapentin at bedtime and I sleep deeply and calmly all night. It feels like a miracle!
  8. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

but they had the reverse effect on me and kept me awake, havent found anything that does otherwise.

Its good that you can now have a restful sleep Tamsyn.

If sleep apnea isnt my problem then I will have to look elsewhere and consider other drugs.

Rosie
  9. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

Oh my gosh... every one of you posted somethign I go through.

I take one xanax before bedtime, but it does'nt help.
  10. puppyfreak

puppyfreak New Member

You might want to ask your Doc to switch you to Klonopin. Xanax is short-acting and wears off after 3-4 hours so your anxiety might be coming back in the middle of the night from that.
    Klonopin is longer acting and might get you through the night better.

Char
  11. tilla

tilla New Member

I think all of you that have posted should have a sleep apnea test. I just started on oxygen at night last night. Seems the doctors do not think of this problem to look into. I had to suggest it to my doctor.

The initial test is free and very easy. Another post mentioned 80% of FM persons have sleep apnea and don't realize it.

Just a suggestion.

Tilla
  12. Beba

Beba New Member

I have sleep anxiety..have you found anything that helps...thanks!
  13. LadyC

LadyC New Member

Mine is a little different. First of all I cannot remember the last time I have slept through the night. Sometimes I wake up as much as 7 times in one night. I have had nightmares and wake up screaming or even fighting. The fighting is strange for me because I'm usually pretty tame. A couple of times I have almost hit my husband while swinging wildly in my sleep (Maybe I was doing in my sleep what I couldldn't get away with otherwise. LOL!) Thankfully that hasn't happened recently. One night I screamed and sat up in bed only to find my husband already sitting up looking at me dumb-founded. There's never a dull moment in FMS Land.