ANYONE ELSE HAVE PANIC ATTACKS IN THIER SLEEP?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ~Sibyle~, Jan 17, 2006.

1. ~Sibyle~

~Sibyle~ New Member

Has anyone ever had this happen? Were you able to stop it from happening? If so, how?

I think I may be having these attacks in my sleep and I need info on how to stop them.

Thank you all so much!
    [This Message was Edited on 01/18/2006]
  2. dorabella

dorabella New Member

I've been startled out of sleep by panic and woken up gasping for breath.

Think it's quite common for those of us who suffer from panic episodes. Although the body may relax during sleep it would appear that the brain doesn't, causing the wrong signals to be sent out to the body in the same way as when we are awake.

I've never found a way to stop it, but found that this happens only sporadically. ADs might help (although I remember having this happen even when I was taking them).

Best advice I can give is not to give overdue concern to them - they will eventually stop and your sleep will return to normal.
  3. petesdragon

petesdragon New Member

I wake up in a panic several times in the night. I feel like if I stay in that bed one more minute I will have to stay there forever. I get up and get a drink of water and then go to bed in the guest room. The next time I wake up in a panic I get a drink of water and go to bed on the divan. It's like musical beds but it works. Every one I tell this to thinks I'm crazy but if it works---hey!
  4. ~Sibyle~

~Sibyle~ New Member

...To have happen at night! I wake up feeling paniced over something but I do not know what. I also feel like I cannot breathe but if I sit still and focus I can breathe fine.

I wish there were some way to fix this. It is becoming very disruptive to my sleep.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/18/2006]
  5. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

i've been waking up lately short of breath as if in a panic attack and have found that if i get up and walk around for a minute, i can go back to bed and fall asleep with no problem. it's almost like the act of getting up resets my nervous system or something.

eddie
  6. ~Sibyle~

~Sibyle~ New Member

for your replies. I am trying to understand what is happening to me at night. I do not have panic episodes during the day that I am aware of so it is just an odd thing.

I feel like that the more sleep I lose the worse the attacks get. It is odd!
  7. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

Yes - it is usually related to heart function. When the sympathetic nervous system is dominant the natural pacemaker in the heart tries to compensate and can cause palpitations and a rush of adrenalin which precipitates a panic attack.

The best treatment I know of is biofeedback training based on very deep, slow breathing (the goal is 6 breaths per minute). You can also do it at home but it helps to have someone monitor you first to be sure you're breathing correctly. By doing this you stimulate the baroreceptors toward the base of the lungs and help balance the nervous system.

It's a very powerful therapy - I saw the results personally many years ago both on myself and the clients that came through our clinic.

Jan
  8. ~Sibyle~

~Sibyle~ New Member

Thank you for your reply. I guess I have kind of been doing the biofeedback without knowing it, LOL.
    When this happens to me if I sit up and breath deeply and slowly for a while I get sleepy again.

Sometimes though, that doesn;t even help and I end up sitting around for a while waiting to calm down.
  9. citrine

citrine New Member

Hi,I would wake up at night and have a panic attack and even in the day time,especially when I over do it or don`t get enough of sleep,my Dr.gave me Zoloft to take once a day and Klonopin twice a day,I also get heart palpitations,one time I got them so bad I had to see my Dr.but he said my blood pressure was normal,he had me wearing a heart monitor for a few days which came back normal,I was thinking I had Mitral Valve Prolapse since it is connected with Fibro,my Dr. gave me Atenolol for the palpitations even though my test was normal and he changed my meds from Elavil to Pamelor.I know how terrible it can be,sorry reply is so long,I hope you feel better. Citrine
  10. day2day

day2day Member

I am more stressed then normal, the more I have on my plate( unresolved) is when it affects me most. My trick is try to have a game plan when things stress me out. I find that if I leave it unsettled it haunts me with those night time panic attacks.

When I do get them, I wake up almost parlyzed with panic, but have this urge to jump up and run, almost the "fight or flight" thing. I just sit for a minute and then either get a book to soothe me or watch a nonsense show like tv land , to get my mind off of it.

Another possibility is genetics, I come from a long line of panic attacks prone siblings and my mom was as well.

One more thing is past trauma can cause this too.

Hope you find this helpful.