Anyone Else Have Problems With New Keyboards?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

My kids have a new Apple PC and I got a new laptop this year. The new keyboards are flat instead of having raised keys. I find them very difficult to use and my typos have increased but my speed has decreased. Also, if I use the Shift Key, half the time, I get nothing. Seems that you have to hit the keys just right. Oy! This is no improvement. Sometimes, I'm tempted to hook my old PC keyboard up to my laptop but that would just be taking a step backward. I ordered a factory-refurbished wi-fi tablet and am wondering whether it will take the place of my laptop for many things. I wanted a tablet but can't afford an expensive one and don't want to pay a monthly data fee. I have a smart phone if I ever have the need to get online when there's no wi-fi.

There's a web site that has 1 Sale A Day. They always have five things on sale dirt cheap, some new, some factory refurbished. I got a new HD camcorder for $20. It's very compact. They had a waterproof one for $40. I've been ordering Christmas presents for my grandson. I'm sending him his own digital camera, a Lego-like kit with a solar panel that makes things turn, and a 3-D plastic puzzle which makes a globe. The pieces are big enough that he'll be able to put it together.

Geez, I hijack my own posts :) The mind of a person with ADD.

Love, Mikie
  2. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I got a new HP laptop earlier in the year, and the keyboard took some getting used to. One thing I really hated, and still do, is that the 'A' key is just a shave too close to the caps lock button and many times after I type the letter 'a', I will look up and the whole next line I typed is in caps. It's just not me; my husband hates using this laptop for that reason. But he has one of those tiny Acer notebooks, and that is just too small for me and I type even worse on that. So I forge on with this one aND HOPE I DON'T HIT THE CAPS LOCK KEY LIKE I JUST DID--LOL!!!!

3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I think it's the flatness of the keys which makes it easy to hit two keys at once. The old keys were smaller because they came to a rise in the middle of the key. You could actually feel your fingers on the keys. With the flat ones, it all feels the same. For some reason, when I hit the shift key, many times, I get nothing when I hit the letter I want in upper case. This is especially true with the "I" key. It just gets frustrating.

Since this laptop is my workhorse computer now, I got the larger one and the keyboard is almost standard size. I think I would also have a problem with those little notebooks. I ordered a tablet online and it came yesterday--with a cracked screen. It was a factory refurbished unit but the screen shouldn't be cracked. I have e-mailed to see how I can return it. The website I got it from sends everything in UPS bags. The tablet came in a sturdy new box from the manufacturer but the screen wasn't protected for shipping. Dumb, really dumb! I was really disappointed. I'm waiting for a refurbished digital camera for my grandson and am wondering whether it will be a dud too. I bought a brand new HD camcorder from the same website for only $20 and it's great. I may just buy new and not factory refurbished from now on.

Love, Mikie
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm glad you like your notebook. I almost got one but figured I still need a workhorse computer. Then, I decided to try for a tablet instead of a notebook. I just got an e-mail from the website and they said to return it. If they don't have a replacement, they will credit my credit card. They should send me a prepaid envelope/box to return it in. I think I will ask that they reimburse me for that as I already paid S&H in the first place.

Buying factory refurbished is usually a good deal as the unit has been completely tested, gone through and fixed. I think what happened is that something broke the screen of the tablet in transit. It wasn't well packed.

The keyboard on my kids' Apple PC is very small, the size of a notebook and I had a hard time with it. I think it's just a matter of getting used to the flat keyboards. Some days, I can type fine with it and others, I get sooooo frustrated. It may have more to do with my energy level and tired brain than the design of the keyboard. I should use my old keyboard to see whether that would be better. I do have it connected to my old laptop in my little office.

Love, Mikie