Anyone else have Reactive Arthritis/Reiter's?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Dogtired, Jul 6, 2003.

1. Dogtired

Dogtired New Member

All of my symptoms seem to have started years ago, when I really look back, the puzzle pieces start to fall into place...4 years ago I got Reactive Arthritis from a bout of food poisoning and my joints have never been the same since. I was recently diagnosed with CFS, which I believe started several years before the Reactive Arthritis. Back then I had no idea what was wrong with me and just thought I was "tired" and got the "flu" a lot.
    I am interested in how these overlap. I also have depression and endometriosis...any ideas/good articles?? Thanks! -Kristi
  2. healing

healing New Member

I think Betsy and I have the same rheumy. I just tested positive for salmonella, but right now am taking penicillin (1000 mg/day, going to 2000 mg/day)for strep. Will start meds for salmonella in a few weeks. I was diagnosed with reactive arthritis years ago, as well as FM. I did one course of ABX for chlamydia pneumonia, and another without a firm diagnosis. I believe I picked up the salmonella when I lived in Beirut 30 years ago, but don't really know. I don't have any particular "event" to tie it to. You can check Dr. Gabe Mirkin's "Why I Prescribe Antibiotics" which you can find on his website.
  3. Dogtired

Dogtired New Member

It has been so long I can't remember which antibiotic I took. And I believe I came up positive for Campylobacter (I have recently sent for my medical records, cuz I need that info).
    So...the assumption is that this bug (Salmonella for you) is still in your system wreaking havoc after all these years and that is why you are taking antibiotics at high doses again??
    Thanks for writing.
    -Kristi
  4. healing

healing New Member

I think I've been asked to take something called Penuk? I couldn't read the prescription too well. I'll find out for sure when I pick it up. I had a simple blood test but have to go in for a stool test now. I'm not to start this prescription until I've been on the 2000 mg/day of penicillin for a while.

After being on the 1000 mg per day penicillin, I'm getting some good flares which I interpret as herxes. I'm not feelng particularly great -- terribly tired, but having trouble sleeping for the first time in a long time -- but I actually am feeling optimistic because this is the first time I've had flares from ABX. This tells me it's working, and that's good news. But I'm expecting to go downhill when I up the dose.

What are you taking?
    [This Message was Edited on 08/13/2003]