Anyone else have trouble with cvs pharmacy?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by taniazcatz, Jun 18, 2006.

1. taniazcatz

taniazcatz New Member

Hi all,
    I have had the worst experiences with my local cvs pharmacy and I am wondering if anyone else has had trouble. On their tv commercials they show a very caring pharmacist, I laugh everytime I see that damn commercial. The pharmacist I deal with is horrible. Here is a great example, over the weekend my doc called in and ordered 60 vicodin for break through pain for me. The pharmacist decided that 60 was too many and changed the order to only 30 pills. With out my doctors permission!!! Then when I confronted her about it, she told me that she had changed the amount, but they weren't allowed by law to change doctors ordersunless they consulted the doctor!!! Yep, you read that right. She admitted she changed it but in the same breath said she wasn't allowed to by law!!! I was so mad, so I called and complained to the regional supervisor. I don't know how much good that will do.

I am just so tired of pharmacists playing doctor and giving me hell over the narcotics I need to have. Am I the only one with a bad pharmacist?

Thanks for letting me vent about this. I hope everyone is doing better.

Tanya
  2. DorothyVivian

DorothyVivian New Member

Hey Tanya,
    Thanks for the 'heads up' about CVC pharmacy near you. CVC is taking over the Savon pharmacy I mostly use. I've had a few problems with the pharmacy techs at Savon questioning my doctor's prescriptions (as though they know better--ugh!!) but it's usually one of the pharmacy techs who questions the doctor's rx..and not the real registered pharmacists. But I know how irritating and insensitive it is to have someone assume they know what's best for their customers when they actually are profoundly ignorant!
    I'm going to give the new CVC owners a few months to see how they behave and if they give me any trouble, I am going to vote with my feet--I'll be out of there before they can blink twice! There's a very clean, well-stocked Walgreen's pharmacy open 24 hrs only a couple of blocks more distant, so I'll transfer all my prescriptions there if there's a problem. I don't believe that anyone ought to be mistreated that way, especially not persons in constant pain!
    Take good care of yourself, Tanya. Ddon't put up with such abuse!
    With love, Dorothy
    [This Message was Edited on 06/18/2006]
  3. elizajane40

elizajane40 New Member

CVS gave me the wrong drug! Yes, you heard correctly...the wrong drug! I was supposed to be getting flexeril and they gave me an anti-convulsant! Thank God I pay attention to every detail. I opened the package right after they handed it to me (had not left the store yet) and walked right back up to the counter and said...ummmm how about giving me the right medicine? Then they shorted me on pain medication twice..that is highly suspect!!! Another time they gave me 90 pills on a rx that stated 2 tablets twice daily for 90 days. Even I can do the math on that ! To say that I have been extremely wary of anything I get there is an understatement. I did request and got their 800 number for pharmacy complaints and logged a formal complaint about the incorrect drug incident. After all, that could have killed me !!!! CVS is the only drug store near me...luckily another CVS has opened even closer to home and I am going to switch all my meds there to see if I see an improvement. Good luck and WATCH everything very closely!!!
  4. place

place New Member

The Pham person gave the wrong meds!

Will not ever go to them. I go to target, the same staff has been there for years!
  5. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

This is not directly aimed towards CVS, because the pharmacy I teched for was another one. But I would advise everyone to always, always count the number of pills and make sure the count lines up with what your doctor ordered.

There are and have been, many cases where patients have been shorted and then the patient gets blamed for overuse. This can be due to human error or it can be premeditated.

I have the utmost respect for pharmacists, but unfortunately, there are some, and this goes for techs as well, who will think the patient will not notice if a prescription is, say 10 short. They can then be either using themselves or selling them. Please, no flaming me, I know for a fact it is true, I have seen it done.

We had one pharmacist who was taking a new bottle of 100 Percocette at a time. It was difficult to make out the difference when we inventoried because we often thought we had just been shorted by the supplier, since it was a whole bottle. As it turns out, the pharmacist's wife was a cancer patient and he was taking the Percocette home to her. Very sad, but had it been anyone else, they would have been doing some serious jail time.

So please, even if you feel the urge to do it right there in front of the staff, count those pills. Because once you get home, it is really hard to prove that you have not done something else with the missing pills. Always check, right patient, right med, right amount.
  6. taniazcatz

taniazcatz New Member

and told him what happened. He was very upset and not only called and chewed that pharmacist out but also phoned her boss and the regional pharm. manager. And he is going to put in a complaint with the florida phar. board. I was able to get a prescription from the naval pharmacy here in town with the correct number of pills. The correct medication too. This was just another incident in a long line of terrible customer service with cvs. There is a new walgreens being built right across the street from this cvs and I cant wait until it opens. Then cvs can kiss my business good bye!!

Tania
    [This Message was Edited on 06/21/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 06/21/2006]
  7. matthewson

matthewson New Member

I get all my prescriptions filled at the local CVS and I have never had a problem with vicoden prescriptions. I just called a refill in today for 60. I was surprised when my Dr. wrote a prescription with one refill! I thought you had to get a script every time, but they took my call in.

I am not taking much vicoden now, but when I was on 10.0/375 for a few months, they did not hassle me at all. The Dr. at that time was having me try different things so I had prescriptions for Soma, flexeril, xanax, you name it and they never batted an eyelash!

I am sure if you did a poll, every chain pharmacy would have someone that had a bad experience. I don't think any one chain would be worse than any other.

Just my experience. Take care, Sally

I do think it was awful that they gave you a hard time and I am glad your Dr. read the riot act to them![This Message was Edited on 06/21/2006]
  8. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

that its like that everywhere you go. There are good pharmacists and then the ones that are not. Ive gone to the same cvs for 16yrs. It is a small one with only to pharmacists. The main one is execelent and the other has no business being in the business if you know what I mean.

I take sooo many meds and this way any dr could ck up on me but noone has ever done that. In fact, I have a cvs right down from my house and I drive 6 miles and pass several pharmacies to get to mine.

A few times there are problems like shorting me pills and a couple of times, getting the wrong meds but they go out of their way to correct any problem and I wouldnt go any where else. Not because its CVS but because it is my pharmacy and I like it.

Besides, I get 38.00 cvs bucks to spend every 3 mths and I just love that day when I can splurge and buy me a few things with the free money and I love that!!

Suzette
  9. diva42597

diva42597 New Member

I've had the same problems with cvs and others like it...wallgreens, store pharmacies etc. The crack down on pain meds is so bad that it's tough for people that need the medication to get it in any sort of quantity that will improve our well being.

I have been told by pharmacists and doctors that I can simply go to an emergency room if I need pain meds. Now I don't know about you all, but if I went to the emergency room every time I had severe pain...I'd be setting up camp and staying there more than I was at home!!!

Also, be very careful about using store pharmacies. In my opinion, the pharmacists that work there are overworked and underpaid. This does not make for a good combination in my book. Also, if you use a cvs card or store card when you make your purchases beware. They track all your purchases INCLUDING medications. They use this information as a defense if you ever have a claim against the store. For example, if you slip and fall they will use your prescription information to show that it was not because the store was ill maintained, it was because you were drugged up. So be very careful when using store discount cards.

10. azbubba

azbubba New Member

I have a CVS almost within walking distance...and they've been nothing but helpful, especially since I have one of the WORST Rx drug plans. They have been really outstanding in meeting my needs.

Not to discount your story, Tanya; I'm positive you're telling the truth. But it's individual, rotten pharmacists, rather than corporate directives from a chain that make our lives miserable as patients. I applaud you for helping to get rid of one of the rotten eggs!

Thanks...Bubba
  11. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

I always cringe when I read stories like this because I am a pharmacist myself.
    Tanya, you are absolutely right in saying that the pharmacist had no right to change your script without telling the doctor first.

Our job is to be professional and give patients the best care possible, that includes making sure that the doctor didn't make any mistakes because we are all human and we all make mistakes, and trust me I have phoned a doctor many times to query things that I knew weren't right.

It is not because we as pharmacists think we know better than the doctor but we are your last line of defense, if I can put it that way.
    In my country doctor's are seen as experts in how the body works, but pharmacists are the experts in how medicine works, I know that in some countries the doctor sends the pharmacy a script which contains the diagnosis and the pharmacist will prescribe the correct medicine.

However, you should always report unprofessional behaviour. If the pharmacist doesn't know your history, they have now right in judging you regarding pain meds or anything for that matter. I really truly hope that you can find a good pharmacist, they are out there! :)

Phoebe
  12. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

My CVS had ONE really great pharmacist but if she was not there, look out!

My first episode happened when I went in to get my fluid pills refilled on a Friday afternoon. Our insurance had changed (same carrier, different plan) and they had my old info in the computer, so when I came to pick it up, they told me my insurance was no good and the script would be $30.00.

I was in severe pain from PID at the time and could not go all weekend without. I did not have my card with me, but called my husband who read the # to me over the phone which I gave to the pharmacist.

I will say that most of the pharmacists that I have dealth with (Rite-Aid and Sam's Club) are WONDERFUL, knowledgable and very helpful. This lady was none of those things.

She could not have cared less about whether I got my script or not. The only advice she offered was that I should contact my HR department. Remember that this is at 5:30 on a Friday afternoon...

I called my insurance company MYSELF on my cell phone and confirmed that my insurance was good and then the insurance rep asked to speak to the pharmacist so I gave her the phone.

The insurance rep gave her the correct numbers so that the script went through. She was very rude to the insurance rep and me, like she was pissed to have to bother with the whole thing.

I decided they would not get my business again. However, on Christmas Eve my daughter was very ill with a high fever and had to go to the doc.

She would up with 3 prescriptions and, stupid me, I decided to go ahead to CVS because they had my information already and I ASSUMED (first mistake)that it would be easier.

Well, guess what! I go there and give the pharmacist my scripts and she comes back and says, your insurance is expired. DUH they never bothered to update my information!

So I give them the new card and then she comes back and says that one of the scripts is not covered and will be $80. When I ask why she said, very rudely, "all I do is put it in the computer and it came back denied" and her attitude was like, tough s***.

I was very upset to start with since I had a sick child on a holiday and here I am having to make the decision of whether to spend $80 on a script or not since I really could not afford that. As I said, pharmacist could not have cared less.

Luckily, it was a decongestant and not the inhaler or antibiotic that was prescribed, so I decided not to get it.

That was the end of me and CVS. The pharmacists at Rite Aid and Sam's are the best by far.

13. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

There are 2 CVS's pharmacies that are near me. Because of being treated like a "drug seeker" by the tech not the pharmacists (it was bad), I changed to the other CVS. You would not believe how they treated by 74 year old Mom & Dad who had to get my meds for me.

Because of my meds, I had made an agreement with my doctor to only use 1 pharmacy. I notified them of the change.

I told the new CVS what had happened and they could not believe what the tech said and did. The new CVS has been nice BUT....

Last week there was a dispute between my doctor and the pharmacy. Each one said they were right. They put me in a very stressful position..all of them. Each one was telling me the other did not know what they were talking about. It started with doctor error.

It took 2 weeks and a relapse to get my meds straight. I could not believe what was happening. But during the ordeal, the pharmacist was nice.

I don't think it's the store name, it is the employees just like a bank, grocery store or whatever.

14. kimfibro

kimfibro New Member

it had to be within the last 6 months or so. it's all so sketchy in my head now (fog!) but recall this much...they stated that CVS had to improve its customer services in the pharmacy. too many errors occurring. and not enough courtesy. running out of inventory too often.

anyone else recall that?

yes, i can expect that ANY chain pharmacy will have upsetting customer experiences and errors. i have been using CVS for about 12 years at 2 diff locations as i moved 2 years ago. they made one error w/my son's anti biotic (they actually sent my ex-husband home w/an entire powdered bottle of it; not measured, broken down, mixed w/water then bottled for his prescription).

as far as my prescrips go, no errors, on rare occasion may have to half-fill one because they'd run out. so i'm pretty content there.