Anyone else have upper back soreness that affects breathing.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by DRSter, Dec 27, 2005.

1. DRSter

DRSter New Member

I have back aches(upper) and chest pain that seem to cause my breathing to be restricted. Almost feels like my ribs are all twisted to one side. X-Rays showed normal.

Fibro or something else?

Asking others here gives me much better info than the doc ever could?

Thank You So Much
  2. Denamay

Denamay New Member

There has been times that my ribs feel like they are broken.

Of course this interfers with breathing, very hard to take a deep breath.

For me this complaint comes and goes.

But it can last for months at a time.

It is just another of our many types of pain that us fibro patients put up with.

I hope your rib pain goes away before too long!!!

Take good care, from Denamay
  3. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

did you have x-rays of both your back and chest?? i have something called "towering" going on in my thorasic area (mid back) where my spine goes stiff and straight. my chiro tells me it could be the source of my shortness of breath. apparently, this stiffness in the spine can pull on the ribs and cause the lungs to have less room to expand.

eddie
  4. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I used to do a deep breathing exercise program, in fact I did their infomercial and am on their website :).

Can't do it most days now because the deep inhales and quick exhales hurt. I still try most days, but can't do it.

Wish I could because it helped me go from a size 18/20 to a 10/12. I still wear the 10/12s but they are getting a little snug so will try the exercises again.

They really are good, simple exercises and can actually be done in a chair!

Hugzz,
    Greenbean
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

Yes, I do. I don't feel as if my ribs are broken, but that all the tissue around my chest and ribs are inflammed and swollen--but mainly in the back area of one side only.

I also have systemic lupus. So, I don't know if this is a fibro thing or a lupus thing.

I go to the rheumy in a couple weeks, but I don't know if he will REALLY know or not!

I also have all the muscles in my right arm in the same shape--either inflammed or swollen--but very sore, and it feels like the bones actually hurt, too.

It's always a mystery on what is the cause of all these problems!!!!

Hugs,
    Janet

Edit - I forgot. I have recently been to my lung doctor and my lungs are clear and OK, so it's not them.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/28/2005]
  6. DRSter

DRSter New Member

It seems to have been around for about three months now. Have had the odd day where it seems to be gone. Then it comes back. Always affects the breathing though when it's present.
  7. lolee

lolee New Member

why did you ask about Neurontin? I take that.

thanks,

lolee
  8. Colombia

Colombia New Member

I wouldn´t say that my ribs feel like they are broken, but I often feel like I have a band around my chest that pulls tighter and tighter. It tends to give me shortness of breath rather than hurting on deep breathing. I have CFS no fibro so I´m not sure what that means. Also, the upper part of my back just aches almost all the time.

[ advertisement ]