Anyone else have upset stomach in the AM?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kaiasmom, Mar 2, 2006.

1. kaiasmom

kaiasmom New Member

Hi Everyone,

Lately I have an upset stomach, every morning. (No - I'm not pregnant) :)

Just curious if anyone else has this problem. I even throw up at least 2-3 times a week in the morning. I usually feel better by 9 or 10 though.

Thanks for your input.

Leanne
  2. ellikers

ellikers New Member

Well, I didn't used to throw up in the morning, but I did use to have stomachaches in the morning nearly everyday. It sucked!

I got my GI tract under control and my stress and the rest of my body calmed down, so the stomachaches went away.

I would definitely talk to a doctor about it. There's no reason that you should have to deal with that pain on an everyday basis.

:)
  3. marw

marw New Member

I don't know what it is! I have been nauseaus when I wake up for over a year now. Occasionally I come close to throwing up, but it is just usually dry heaves. I have told my doc, and told him, and told him!!!!! He doesn't apparently think anything is wrong, but I am not satisfied to live this way.

Someone on here said they had this and took an Alka-Seltzer and that helped. I cannot take asprin, so I tried the Alk-Seltzer Gold (no asprin) and it does help a little. But basically I just have to take my pain meds and lie back down....then it goes away in an hour or so. I plan to mention it to my new GI doc that i see next week, and will let you know what her says. It's not from any meds I take because I had it before I started on any meds.

Let me know if you find anything out. This sucks as a way to live!

Margaret
  4. Bambi

Bambi New Member

after eating in the morning or before eating in the afternoon. Nothing seems to set it off and even if I do
    progress to vomit, it is gone as fast as it came.

I think it's on the long list of common FM symptoms and I know several people in my old chat room had it at times also. I haven't a clue what causes it but t isn't bad enough for me to do more than mention it to the doctor for my chart.

I hope you find out what is causing yours as it seems to be too often and is so difficult for you to deal with!
  5. PVLady

PVLady New Member

As a matter of fact, I was going to post a similar question. Yes!!! Every day I wake up with a upset stomach. I try different things to help. This has been going on for weeks. I also have had "dry heaves" in the morning, so weird...

I am already taking Nexium once a day - I saw a gastro doctor last year. I have a small hietal hernia, and gastric reflux.

I sleep slightly elevated and try not to eat before bedtime.

Lately, upon awakening I have been taking a small amount of Mylanta and some water. I also take Mylanta during the day. I would say under no circumstances take any aspirin or meds that contain aspirin,like Alka Seltzer. If you have gastric problem, this will only make it worse.

I would see a doctor, and in the meantime see if using Mylanta will help.

With my problem, I also can't really eat until later in the day (after noon). As the day goes on, I am better - at night my stomach is almost normal.

Because of this problem, I lose weight - also if I don't eat my energy levels go way down.

Part of my problem could be constipation from my meds, but not all. Another thing I am wondering, I know when I sleep I am breathing through my mouth and it is very dry when I wake up. I suppose I could be getting "dry" all the way down to my stomach, who knows??? Maybe that is contributing to the problem.

[This Message was Edited on 03/02/2006]
  6. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

you might want to read a recent post on the lymphatic system (can't remember who posted it). it talks about how a sluggish lymph system can lead to a heavy feeling in the abdomen. chinese medicine calls this sensation "dampness" and many of us with fatigue and muscle/joint pain have a damp disposition. for me, the dampness settles in during the night and i wake up with this feeling of heaviness in my spleen or in western terms, nausea and/or upset stomach. my acupuncturist ordered some herbs for me to try. the combo includes cinnamon, clove, and ginseng; warming herbs are best for addressing dampness. the reason you feel better after you get up is the subsequent dispersement of that stagnant energy, or lymph, or whatever you prefer to call it.

eddie

p.s. also important not to eat right before bed!
    [This Message was Edited on 03/03/2006]
  7. crdmkr2004

crdmkr2004 New Member

Hi Leanne
    I too have an upset stomach in the am but usually only if I didn't get enough sleep- I have to have at least 7 hours sleep.I also get if I take my meds without food(it feels almost like a hangover). When this happens to me I eat some (4-6)crackers (saltines) unsalted ones and it seems to help. I also get diarrhea but still haven't found anything to stop that, it's annoying.
    Did you start a new med, if so, it might be a side effect?
    Check with your doctor though if you can't control it as it may be something more serious.
    Hope this helps.
    Sandy
  8. pemaw54

pemaw54 New Member

different times and different days. Sometimes I wake up with it and other times it can start any time and I hate it. I hate to throwup so I dont. It makes for a miserable day

Suzette