Anyone else hearing about success with stem cell treatments in India?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hubcap_halo, Feb 13, 2009.

1. hubcap_halo

hubcap_halo New Member

Hi all,

A friend of mine knows a woman who has been undergoing stem cell therapy for CFS in India. She has a blog and I'm trying to find it. I will post once I find.

But this friend of mine says that several others have gone over and are "All well."
    I'm now seeking clarification and trying to get in touch with these folks. I'll report back when I do.

I'm very curious about this. I know these kinds of treatments are expensive, experimental, often dangerous and not guaranteed. But I'm wondering if anyone else is hearing about such treatments and if folks are getting better.

I've known they've been doing them for MS and Parkinsons patients but I was so surprised to hear CFS patients were doing them.

Hope you are well,

2. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

wow. i had no idea this was going on and i am indian! please tell us what you find. (it might not be that expensive for you; 1 dollar = > 40 rupees)
  3. redhummingbird

redhummingbird New Member

I've heard of it being used for people with chronic lyme disease. If you want to find out more about that there is a thread on lymnet (it's a dot org).

I can't remember the name of the thread but it includes the blog of the woman who has been going to India.
  4. SpecialK82

SpecialK82 New Member

I would be very interested to hear as well!!

5. SpiroSpero

SpiroSpero New Member

The success rate is unbelievable. I read studies where they cured people with diabetes and others where MS patients got cured. This is the first time in history really cures chronic illnesses and doesn't just treat symptoms. I hope they can help PWCs too soon.

"In multiple sclerosis the rationale for why stem cell therapy would have beneficial effects derives from observations that some types of stem cells, such as mesenchymal stem cells, are potent stimulators of immune regulatory T cells called "T Regulatory Cells", or back in the old days they were called "T Suppressor Cells". These cells selectively inhibit certain immune responses, while allowing other immune responses to exist. Why this is important is because many scientists believe that multiple sclerosis is an "autoimmune disease", that meaning that the immune system is attacking parts of the body. In the example of multiple sclerosis, the target antigen appears to be myelin basic protein, a protein that lines the nerves and allows for them to properly conduct signals.

In addition to play a role in suppressing inflammatory responses, mesenchymal stem cells are known to produce various factors that are theoretically useful for remyelination, that is, repairing the injured sheath of the nerve."

6. mindblower

mindblower New Member

I'd be very wary of such claims and check them out thoroughly. You can end up in a tremendous amount of pain as a side effect if not other bad side effects if somehow those treating don't know what they're doing with these.

Dr Cheney as you may or may not be aware had been attempting to develop a few different types of stem cell therapies for years for his patients as one of the many treatments he was curious about for ME/CFS. But it doesn't seem to have ever taken off effectively in the way he'd hoped and other therapies he definitely required doing before even considering experimenting in this way.

FWIW, stem cell therapy doesn't make a lot of sense to even consider as an experimental treatment path for ME/CFS at this point given what's been becoming more clear about its pathology in recent years, IMO.

[This Message was Edited on 02/14/2009]
  7. zoster

zoster New Member

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for posting about this, I hadn't heard anything about it being used for CFS - it's certainly hopeful if people are reporting success.

I'd certainly interested in how those guys are doing, yes please let us know what you find out.

All the best
  8. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

i gotta actually agree with mindblower on this one. i have heard rumors of some successes but i suspect that more often than not, it doesn't work too well..

k. loomis says she knows of some who went to switzerland to have it done. some were helped some were not.
  9. hubcap_halo

hubcap_halo New Member

Basically everyone said it.

These therapies are very promising. Some are helping patients with MS and Parkinsons. The stem cell injections into the spine (done in India) were apparently very curative for a woman with chronic lyme.

But all are very expensive at this point and totally experimental.

And I agree that it would be nice with ME/CFS to know exactly what needs to be fixed before fixing things.

I'm studying more, meeting some really intelligent docs here in DC and more than ever it seems to be a total, multi system disorder. Some docs believe it's primarily a nervous system disorder which then affects the immune system. And everyone knows about Teitelbaum's theory about Hypothalamic dysfunction.

I'm back to pursuing gentle supportive therapies and meditation and super healthy diet and yoga and got out of NYC. These things are actually helping me, though very incrementally and slowly.