Anyone else? How long does this thing last for goodness sake?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Holly_RN, Mar 28, 2003.

1. Holly_RN

Holly_RN New Member

Hi,
    Does anyone else have this upper Respiratory Flu thing? It is really kickin my butt! I'm on my second round of antibios and have also been on the dreaded steroids. Can't seem to kick it. How long does this thing last for goodness sake? Can't take much more of it. Anything else I can do to boost my immune system? I've taken a few days off work, only because I would have dropped dead, but I have to go back tomorrow. Guess if I fall over at work, they'll have to send me home. (Sigh) Sometimes, I hate being a nurse.
    Any suggestions are welcome.
    With friendship,
    ~Holly_RN~
  2. Megster

Megster New Member

Hi, Holly. I think we may have met in the chat room a little while ago. We talked about disability a little. If you at all can, stay home. Having been a nurse, I know how bad the pressure is to keep pushing through (not to mention the policies that limmit sick time), but if you're not well, can you really take good care of your patients? For me, that was the clencher. When I finally realized that I was putting my patients at risk because I couldn't keep up, I could no longer in good conscience (man, I miss having a way to spell check!) continue to practice. For me, the biggest problem was a combination of brain injury and fibrofog which made it imposible for me to keep track of medication/feeding schedules (postpartum/newborn nurse).

Anyway, one of the things my lawyer said would help my case was if I could get documentation from my previous employers showing that my rate of absenteeism (sp?) was higher than usual. If you are feeling like you're going to need to apply for disability, stay home when you are feeling sick. Both your body and your patients will thank you (well, they won't really, but you know what I mean)!

As for the rest of it, can't really say except the usual Vit C, Zinc, and Eccanacia. When I'm sick, I also increase the amount of probiotics (friendly tummy bacteria) I take.

Blessings,
    Meg
  3. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

To boost the immune system you nee Echinacea, Vit C, Multi Vits & Mins, Magnesium with calcium & Zinc.
    Be sure to have a good quality Pro Biotic capsule with every meal to replace the bacteria killed by the Antibiotics, could end up in real trouble otherwise...

Good luck

Pat.
  4. Dara

Dara New Member

I started getting sick with the upper respitory "flu thing" just after christmas. I went through three or four prescriptions of different antibiotics, predizone, an inhaler (albuterol) and another inhaler (flovent), and I really didn't start feeling better until about two weeks ago. I had to go to Arizona to visit my brother who is terminally ill, and it was while I was in Arizona that I started feeling better. The respitory problems actually gave me, or started, a problem with asthma, which I have never had before. It's a really nasty bug and I know a lot of people who have had it and just can't seem to shake it. It always surprises me when someone who works in the health or medical field works for an establishment who can be so non-understanding with their employees when they are sick. My daughter worked for a doctor's office when she got sick and was diagnosed with AML. While she was in the hospital her 12 weeks of family medical leave was up and they sent her a letter terminating her. You would think they would be more understanding than anyone else. I think you should try and stay home & take care of yourself until you get over it.

Dara