Anyone else in college right now?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by janasw1, Feb 28, 2007.

1. janasw1

janasw1 New Member

I've had FM/CFS/whatever else for a while, but as I'm halfway through my second year at college I'm just losing it!

It's so hard to meet academic responsibilities when some days my body is just like...NO!
    Of course, it's a bit rare that you'll find a professor that can understand that, or even care about it.

Just curious if anyone else is struggling with this type of situation, trying to juggle school and work while constantly fighting your body's needs to say NO when No isn't an option. I can't exactly go on disability, nor can I have my mommy pay my bills for the rest of my life (I'm 19 by the way)...
    Anyone in the same boat? Any advice? I feel like it's just getting harder and more complicated by the day and as I progressively feel worse, I've always got more and more on my plate!
  2. janasw1

janasw1 New Member

I've gotten some accomodations from the disability center here, but they tend to screw up a lot and do more harm than good, plus my biggest problem is attendance, i'm doing alright as far as grades are concerned, but only because i work extra hard to learn material on my own; i miss so many in class assignments and everything...

i just don't know what to do about money, even if i got a job and had the energy to go somehow, i can't even drive...
  3. janasw1

janasw1 New Member

I pretty much feel like a scholar as far as every disease/syndrome/symptom that I have goes, 10 years of research will do that to you I guess...

I just wish I could find a way to manage everything a little better...
  4. hermione1355

hermione1355 New Member

I know how hard it is to be in college and struggle so many things at once and pray you don't get a flare up.

If you aren't already, got to your college's disability office and request accomadations. You may have to receive a lot of testing to qualify but it is well worth the time and the money.

You may also qualify to be part of a state program. In Texas it is the Department of Assistive & Rehabilitative Services (DARS). I am sure other states provide similiar services. They can help you obtain money, accomadations (both in school & the workplace), testing, and other services.

I know how you feel about your parent's footing the bill. But attending college isn't a permanent endeavor. My advice. If your parents are willing to help you out with the bills work less or don't work at all. Your health will improve and you will finish school faster which will cost less. If money is an issue, try taking less hours.

If your school has a counseling center. Try talking with them (its usually free). Sometimes they can help you get a medical excuse or help you learn how to handle the mounting pressure.

Good Luck.